chatGPT

Its current knowledge base ends in 2021, rendering some queries and searches useless.
What is AI chatbot phenomenon ChatGPT and could it replace humans? | Artificial intelligence (AI) | The Guardian

This all checks out.

3 Likes

One could probably use chatGPT to post on blitz(as a persona) and a few would be none the wiser

2 Likes

Just not in the match day thread, where they would be spotted in 5 seconds.

1 Like

Clearly not a real person, no real person has ever used “the Essendon Bombers” in that way!

It’s already started and did a while ago. Automation has already caused many companies to downsize their work force. Now the big multinationals have been downsizing huge chunks of work force due to bots, automation, etc. ChatGPT just adds to an already existing issue.

I am not sure how these companies think people are going to pay for their products when no one has a job.

3 Likes

People just do different things.

It should decrease certain jobs and create new jobs. Thats always happening in the economy.

Start any small business and see people do it literally off a spreadsheet. That eventually evolves into proper systems and then automation.

Human beings spend too much time on boring repetitive tasks and not enough on reasoning and design.

The jobs of the future will be much more productive because you will use AI.

Personally id love a fleet of my own robots.

The biggest challenge to society is managing access to it.

2 Likes

I use chatgpt to quickly explain topics to me. Its fantastic. Great study tool

You do realise that a lot of people enjoy that sort of work, their makeup reflects that. Processing is a legitimate way some people operate. We can’t all be entrepreneurs or type-A personalities. “Human Beings” come in all sorts of shape and sizes, we are not all the same.

What you may call boring and repetitive, they find soothing and enjoyable.

2 Likes

We just had a lengthy discussion about chatgpt in our end of semester teachers meeting. Some students have turned in reports where a savvy teacher worked out they had used this. If you cross check the writing with other sources it won’t show anything, so it appears to be the student’s writing, but a teacher copy-pasted the work into chatgpt and asked it if it had created the passage! And one thing the technology can’t do is create realistic citations and references.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s going to be a nightmare for teachers.

Back in my day, we just used to copy stuff from Microsoft Encarta!

8 Likes

Saw a thing the other day. A student had a requirement to handwrite an essay. He mounted a pencil to his 3D printer, and the 3D printer “handwrote” the chatGPT-generated essay.

Edit: youbube video

7 Likes

you trained AI? that can be boring and repetitive and oddly soothing.

At one point in history people enjoyed manual bookkeeping and feared the humble excel spreadsheet.

Miners feared using heavy machinery over shovels and pick axes.

Technology is there to serve people not the other way around. And if you don’t pick up new tech someone else will and be able to do more with less.

Who do you think is going to get further ahead in that scenario?

2 Likes

Wow, that’s nuts. Yeah, teachers have to consider other elements now to prove original work, like interview and presentation of ideas given in writing.

Once curriculum design catches up with the tech, I’ll assume we’ll see a move away from assignments/essays and back to exams in a pretty big way.

Back when i was running first-year programming practical classes, if we thought a student had copied their code off the (then-embryonic) internet we always used to just ask them to step through it line by line and ask them to explain what it did. Though that solution doesn’t really scale up or work well in most other fields…

1 Like

I would hope that doesnt happen, focusing solely on time-restricted in-person examinations to assess capabilities would be seriously detrimental to the education system

1 Like

Is there any danger of this thing plagiarising chunks of other peoples work over longer texts?

Edit: I guess I’m thinking of things like romance novels, or even movie scripts.
And copyright.

In my field at uni (sciences/computer science) marking was at least 70% and more often 85% exam-based. It’d be a much poorer fit at primary and secondary level though, when you’re trying to teach kids to research, think critically, formulate long cohesive arguments etc.

1 Like

Yeah I had a few 3 hour 80% final exams in my sci degree - so it was basically 12 weeks studying how to pass the exam, not learn the subject matter

I don’t know of a solution that would work below tertiary, outside of more frequent hands-on time with students to test their level of understanding. But that’s always going to be hampered by a lack of adequately paid and trained educators, and funding to the education system

1 Like

Googles music AI was banned because of the threat of plagiarism.

(Banned as an injunction has been placed on its public release by a group of record companies).

Theres samples that googs made public that are pretty good.

1 Like