chatGPT

In theory, yes, especially if it’s trained by copywritten material. Even if it’s not, it could come up with something very similar (or at least a similar “style”) all by itself.

2 Likes

Hmmm.
I’m not sure how I’d feel about an AI written Discworld novel, no matter how good it was.
I mean presumably it would still need a human author/editor to tidy things up, but still…
Kinda creepy.

Edit: not that I’m saying we’re there yet.

1 Like

let them use it as much as they like, but come test time they aint got no internet access?

I’m jumping into an info session on chatGPT in 5 minutes. Let’s see what this fuss is all about.

2 Likes

Interesting debates going on about ai-generated art too; ai is producing art in a similar style to copyrighted works, (though not reproducing the original itself) when the original artist didn’t give their permission for their works to train the ai. However artists (and musicians, and writers, and comedians etc) all study and are influenced by each other’s work anyway, and you can see/hear other artists’ influence in original works anyway.

2 Likes

They are having technical issues and need to reschedule for 2 weeks time. LOL.

2 Likes

Is there a character limit or can you select that too?
Can you say write a 500 page play in the style of Shakespeare about the affair of William and Meghan?

7 Likes

The one application I want to try ChatGPT for (but don’t know if I can because of ethics requirements and IP rules for what I work on) is document editing.

If ChatGPT can fast-track that, that’d be awesome.

Yeah, we’re doomed.

Do not like that last stanza at all. Fail. Grade F.

The subject obviously broke it, the last line neither rhymes nor scans.

*neither a doctor, nor an expert in iambic.

I got this thing to write a training report one day when there was no training on. It was a poor substitute. I also got it to write a song in the style of Harry Styles. It was just as ■■■■ as a real Harry Styles song.

1 Like

I have never understood that sort of statement.

Q. What do you need to know to pass the exams?
A. You need to know how to answer the questions.

Q. What are the questions about?
A. The questions are about the subject matter of the course.

Q. So how does a student study to pass the exams?
A. The student must learn the subject-matter of the course.

Q. What’s wrong with that?
A. Good question.

1 Like

You can easily learn to answer exam questions without having a deep understanding of the subject matter. The structure rarely changes

1 Like

Also, I reckon at least 95% of uni exams are more or less exact copies of previous years.

Except when I did biochem, the course co-ordinator loved writing exams, so it’d be 100% new material each year.

1 Like

setting exam questions is frustrating

there’s a limited number of ways to ask the same question

Ok professor!

1 Like

Pretty much - one of my Chem subjects didn’t give out copies of previous exams to students, because they used the exact same paper

Ohh, I understand that. And often they are written by someone who is a senior academic and juggling timelines for their research etc. So they have no interest (nor time) to re-invent the wheel each year.