Chinese Takeaway (delivered)

image.png?w=400&c=1

i refuse to play your chinese food mind games.

This is like the opposite of the Diet thread.

Szechuan House in Chinatown is pretty good. Busy, hidden and full of Asian people. Freaking spicy, they use something like 20kg of dried chili's every day. They use cumin like it's going out of fashion too, and the szechuan peppercorns give yiur mouth pins and needles. Take a towel for the extra sweat. DO NOT go on a first date.

I don't go much for offal, and whle Im pretty adventurous when it comes to food I just love the popular western chinese dishes. Satays, lemon chicken, honey chicken, chow mein, Sweet n Sour pork, special fried rice, etc. San choi bao and Peking duck are amazing, not sure about takewaay though.

I love a good char kwai teow, I think that could be Malaysian. They'll claim Nasi Goreng and Satay too I think. I love Roti with curries. Papa Roach at Chadstone is well worth a try for those that like quality Malaysian cuisine. You can get the milky drinks with jelly/lychees etc that are popular too.

Thai Food is amazing too. Green curries, fish cakes, pad thai. Cant go wrong.

I can't really think of much vietnamese food. Do they claim the rice paper rolls wth prawn/pork/vermicelli?? Yum. Also the omellete/pancake they make are great, that you kind of break off and eat with lettuce. Is char sui the pink pork? Also the vietnamese pork rolls with corriander, pate and spring onion, with soy and fresh chili. Actually I've been to a couple of those new places a few times, Roll'd and Bing Boy. Very good.

I think people need to get over the idea that a Westernised Chinese dish automatically means bad.

I don't have sweet and sour pork very often, but it's a perfectly legitimate dish.

mongolian beef is another.

Are you going to tell us what you ordered?

Chicken and Shark Fin soup, for which I assume I'm going to hell.

Birdsnest combo.

Squid was a little tough.

for real?! you're better than that, wimm!

You're right. 

I shouldn't support it while fins anywhere are still procured in that way, and I won't be having it again.

I don't know what I was thinking.

this is one those moments where I'm unsure if wimm has the sarcastica happening.... :)

how did it taste?

The soup was great, thanks.

But you've made me read up on it and it seems that shark fin has no flavour, it's just the sinewy bits that people order it for.

And yeah, I'm being sincere.

I'm no greenie, but when it's pretty simple to avoid animal cruelty like buying free range eggs or this, then I do.

Edit:  Almost always.

Really needs the traditional side dishes - grated rhino and pickled tiger's nads.

I think people need to get over the idea that a Westernised Chinese dish automatically means bad.

I don't have sweet and sour pork very often, but it's a perfectly legitimate dish.

I'll get over it when I get served one that I actually enjoy.

I read wimm's post and an hour later I felt like reading it again.

I'll get over it when I get served one that I actually enjoy.

we make our own at home using pineapple, lime juice and pepper for the sauce, and pork fillet. And if you can find it closer to it's original Cantonese recipe then it's usually ok .

However most places serve up deep-fried mounds of batter with tiny cubes of 'meat' inside, all covered in a luminous glowing sickly coloured 'sauce' . The amount of fat and sugar in that stuff is frightening.

Yep they over batter their meat to the point it’s just too dry

I never go without getting Satay.

Everyone do yourself a favour and try a dish you've probably skimmed past a million times: Fried Kueh Teow. 99% of the time it will have Chilli in it but if not make sure it does.

best. noodles. ever.

I'm going to Malaysia over new years and plan to consume my body weight in char kuey teow

Everyone do yourself a favour and try a dish you've probably skimmed past a million times: Fried Kueh Teow. 99% of the time it will have Chilli in it but if not make sure it does.

Yeah I mentioned that in my post above. I get it with added chili and garlic.

Just checked a recipe for it on tast.com, pretty easy, will give it a go...

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3217/char+kway+teow

birdnest combo??

isnt that bird vomit?

Swallows nest isn't the same as Birds Nest. Swallows nest is more expensive than shark fin. And yes, it's what the bird regurgitates to make their nest. The organically farmed versions are only available in 3 / 4 places in the world and approximately 5 / 6 people die a year when farming it (it's on cliff edges and caves).

If your shark fin soup or having birds nest that is under $100 per person/serve then it's just the imitation stuff.

Shark fins are great but the issue is more that they are farmed only for the fins and thrown away. China don't do fish and chips...

Yeah I mentioned that in my post above. I get it with added chili and garlic.

Just checked a recipe for it on tast.com, pretty easy, will give it a go...

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3217/char+kway+teow

Most important thing in cooking any fried noodles is a good quality wok that's well worn in (stainless steel that's become black also means you need less oil as it almost becomes non stick) and as much heat as possible applied to it.

Those doing fried rice at home, it's best to cook the rice the night before. You get much better results.

Those doing fried rice at home, it's best to cook the rice the night before. You get much better results.

took me a few failed attempts at working that out. you can make it same day but need the rice COLD.. which takes time

took me a few failed attempts at working that out. you can make it same day but need the rice COLD.. which takes time

Put the rice in sieve, run the cold tap over it for a few moments to both cool it down and separate it, then place in the fridge for at least an hour.

Put the rice in sieve, run the cold tap over it for a few moments to both cool it down and separate it, then place in the fridge for at least an hour.

yeah that's what i do now cept if under time pressure then whack in freezer.

Speaking of fried rice, apart from the rice,  what the absolute 'must have' in it, or absolute 'must not have'?

We mainly make a Thai style now with fried egg on top, but if cooking Chinese style then:

For mine must have:

1) Egg

2) Spring onions finely sliced

3) bbq pork or chinese sausage

4) prawns

5) peas

sometimes add baby corn but not often

Not a fan of:

1) Sweet corn

2) bacon/ham

yeah that's what i do now cept if under time pressure then whack in freezer.
Speaking of fried rice, apart from the rice, what the absolute 'must have' in it, or absolute 'must not have'?
We mainly make a Thai style now with fried egg on top, but if cooking Chinese style then:
For mine must have:
1) Egg
2) Spring onions finely sliced
3) bbq pork or chinese sausage
4) prawns
5) peas
sometimes add baby corn but not often
Not a fan of:
1) Sweet corn
2) bacon/ham

Gotta have three meats, not fussed what they are (I'm a fan of chicken, ham and prawns, but it depends on what we have.)
Then Egg, spring onion, capsicum, snow peas. Not a fan of corn, but again, I'm fairly flexible depending on what's in the fridge.
For me, the key is using Chinese cooking wine, and sesame oil.