Collectables

Ian Davis.

What could have been.

He got robbed by WSC didn’t he?

Found this the other day too. Oh the power.

4 Likes

Then there’s stuff like this;

I just have nowhere to put it. We had an application for a shed submitted not that long ago so I could go full steptoe (and have storage room) but my daughter went to dance comps on the Goldie and we blew most of it. Well I didn’t.

And more stuff like this;

Yes, worthless now but the feel good factor is out of this world. The problem is you find something for next to nothing at salvos or gumtree then get the bug, then you want to keep going but there’s either nothing about or ridiculously expensive.

It’s only stuff but it’s fun stuff.

3 Likes

I just had the standard Gray-Niccols.
No scoops, no circle on the back, pretty much just the thin rectangle at the top of front and back.
Tiny sweet spot I guess about eight to ten inches from the bottom of the bat, and light as a feather.
If it was a sword in GOT, it would have been Needle.
Everyone else hated it. Being a very wristy sort of batsman, I loved it.
And I’m sure I was saved many caught behinds because it was so skinny.

2 Likes

I had an old cricket board game. Not Test Match with the felt field etc, this was a strange old thing where you’d swipe a slider and it’d randomly show something like “short ball” or "wrong un " then the other player swiped his side and it might be “good shot, 4 runs” or “bowled!” . Memory is pretty hazy but I’d guess early 80’s.

4 Likes

Or seventies.
Googly always did well.

Edit: awesome fun.

16 Likes

I had that one.

It’s 8-ball over old.

4 Likes

Bring back the back-foot no ball rule, I say!

And imagine today’s cricketers trying to get through 90 x 8 ball overs!?

Damn you, @Sameolds2010 ! Now I’ve mentally drawn up a list of cricket bats to find in Vinnie’s etc!

2 Likes

now that brings back some long forgotten memories!!

2 Likes

And now I’m wondering what happened to Dad’s old mechano sets!!

#thinendofthewedge

1 Like

Viv will always be an SS Jumbo to me, And Deano used a County in my mind

In fact I don’t think I recognise Slazenger or Kookaburra as bat makers :slight_smile:

1 Like

The original Test match had 2 semi-circular sliders (and 8 ball overs). Sounds like what you’re talking about.

Edit:too slow

1 Like

In the mid 90’s, cricket games started to move into new fancy technology.

images (52)

This was so sh*t.

8 Likes

I remember visiting home in my 20’s to ask my Mum where all my LEGO was…

“Oh I gave it all to my friends son”

So gutted, was so happy when I tracked down a set I used to have, given to me by Mum in 1977 was only 7, remember sitting down Xmas eve with her at the shack (not sure where the rest of family was) and building this like it was yesterday.

LEGO Tractor Set 851, also picked up some other LEGO sets I had, always brings me a smile at my desk when I look up at it.

5 Likes

It so was.

Now this thread has put me in mind of a Chinese checkers set that my great aunts owned.
They had the most wonderful, rough, tactile marbles, painted with stuff that I’m sure they’d say gives you cancer these days.

Can’t find them anywhere online…

It’s a veritable gold mine, at least it is down here. Keep your eyes out at the tip shop too.

1 Like

My brother had this game

I blame this

Got real old, real fast.

4 Likes

I always wanted that game lol.