Collectables

Looking around my house, we seem to have amassed a Lego “collection”. Yet, none of it dates toy childhood. Wouldn’t mind still having all the “space Lego” from then, or the Technics car that I bought by lay-buy with my own money when I was about 13.

2 Likes

YOU LITTLE MAGGOT!

1 Like

xxx
yyy

Only one of these is actually collectable.
Edit: but I had all of them.

3 Likes

1 Like

Try early '60’s.

1 Like

$5 for the yamaha

1 Like

I don’t really have much that’s collectable, but this place is just around the corner from me. It’s amazing.

If you love action figures, movies, Lego, cartoons then this place will have something you always wanted.

Lobos collectables. It’s in Thornbury

Check out their Facebook site

3 Likes

My Dad was given a bat from Wally McPherson at the Essendon Cricket CLub, that I still have.
It was signed by the 1963/4 Sth African touring squad, along with a fair few of the Australians. Some fair names on the old willow I must say. So it’s sitting in a glass display case as you’d expect.
It’ll go to my kids- but unfortunately, they’ll be more Canadian than Australian by that time.
:pensive:

2 Likes

My son has all my old Lego, including some space sets. He’s added a hell of a lot of his own in his 15 years, lol.

1 Like

Ms frosty jr has spent far far too much money there!!

3 Likes

Somewhere in the house I’ve got the original Cluedo from when I was a kid, with the original metal lead piping, spanner etc. figurines.

I’ve also got a Monopoly set that was originally my Grandad’s. The houses and hotels are wooden, and the playing figurines are metal (copper and, quite possibly, lead…)

No idea if they’re collectable, more that they’re quaint. I’m going to go searching now that I’m thinking about them…

I’ve also got a still perfectly functioning Atari 7800, with a raft of older 2600 games which it’s compatible with… So far Little Miss Baker has been less than impressed by it, preferring her Switch…

4 Likes

Don’t know how collectable this is in actuality.
Can’t trust the guides and such.
Anyway, I’ll probably always keep it.

2 Likes

Jordan, or the Matthew Reilly collection??

3 Likes

Ha! The Reilly collection is Mrs Wim’s.

She does not like my impression of every one of his books ever, which goes something like…

Nyeeeeer, nyeeeeer, neeeeeyowwm!
Ka-boom!
eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh!
Pew pew pew!
Aaaaaargh!
Zoooooooom. Wheeeeeee….oh faaaaaaark…splat.
Boom. Boom. KABLAMMIE!!!

1 Like

You forgot

“We must eliminate Scarecrow before he foils our dastardly plot”
Said in a vaguely Euro-english villians accent…

1 Like

This is my first cricket bat purchased from K-Mart nearly 40 years ago. I’m too sentimental to throw it out.

6 Likes

I repeat, I wish I’d held onto a lot of stuff.

A friend of my mrs sent my young bloke saying me of these in the mail;

They are going for a couple of hundred in the bombershop.

Also regarding the GN, I found the same bat going for 700 on gumtree…

I might retire from the glamour of public health into this.

1 Like

I see that and the first thing that comes to mind is Bradley Plain

10 Likes

My childhood Monopoly game was in pounds rather than dollars, the houses were wooden and the tokens were just a range of different coloured thimble-like plastic items. I think an older brother snaffled that set.

Over the years, I’ve amassed (not really collected as such) a few unusual board games.

1. The Mad Magazine Game. The object of this game is to lose all your money and the first player to go broke “wins”. However, certain squares and cards will make everybody move chairs, swap money with another player or perform some other wacky task so the game can go all night without any chance of a result. A chaotic waste of time best enjoyed with alcohol.

2. Gay Monopoly. A flea market find of a game produced in San Francisco in the 80s as an AIDS fundraiser. You collect bath houses rather than houses and hotels and all the “chance” cards are not what you’d find in “straight” Monopoly. Instead of the traditional boot, car, dog etc tokens this game features such items as handcuffs, leather hat, jeep ,hair dryer, teddy bear and a high heeled shoe. I don’t think there would be many of these still around.

3. The Bible Game. A $2 op shop score and a board game which is just like the one played by the Flanders family on The Simpsons with quite obscure questions that would challenge even those who know their Bible in some detail.

Along with Monopoly, we also used to love playing “Squatter” when we were growing up.

4 Likes

Yeah, “Squatter” always got a good run in our household too. Also, we had a game called “Poleconomy”. Similar to Monopoly though you bought companies rather than properties. Additionally, there was an Economy Index which would be driven up and down during the game dictating the price of companies at any one point in time. Beyond that, someone would be Prime Minister who would make decisions related to inflation.

So, the PM would achieve more during the game than our real PM has actually managed during his terms in office…

3 Likes