Comedy Festival Doping Saga Show

Have good friends who work in comedy who told me about this show.

By all accounts it’s very good, but it’s not pretending to be an accurate portrayal, and will be a hard watch for anyone who followed the case in the courts, or otherwise the knows the factual intricacies of saga.

1 Like

Anything can and should be the subject of comedy. There is humour in everything that can be found.

I mean honestly - on Blitz we make inappropriate jokes all the time, about players getting injured, various tragedies, people dying, the Coronavirus etc etc… why should the Saga be any different?

If you’re not going to be into it, then don’t go, but don’t complain that it’s in bad taste or it shouldn’t be allowed etc. Thats just silly

6 Likes

How is it silly to say you think something’s in bad taste?

I won’t be going. Others can choose to and may find it funny and that’s fine.

As to why the saga should be any different, you’re talking about a specific event and individual people who I would suggest have already been through enough without being mocked further.
In some cases it would seem that it has affected their mental health really quite severely, even dangerously.

If that’s you’re idea of a good time then go for your life, I’m really not judging, it’s just not for me.

But don’t call my reasons for not going, or even not approving of the show, ‘silly’, please.

I think they’re perfectly valid.

2 Likes

I should clarify - you’re allowed to think it’s in bad taste, that’s fine. I just think that is a silly view unless you also think 3/4 of the jokes told on Blitz about things far worse than the saga are also in bad taste. My strongly held view on comedy is that it’s either all ok, or none of it is (I recognise this may be an extreme view, though).

We were treated very badly during the saga, and some might think that the show is in bad taste because of that. That’s cool, but I really really wonder what people’s level of objection would be if the circumstances were exactly the same but Carlton was the club. I’d be betting that most in here would get over their offence pretty damn quickly!

I also don’t mind people saying “I’m not going to go, it’s not for me”. Totally fine - and that’s what I said in my post. I do mind people saying “they shouldn’t have a show on this issue”, because individuals don’t get to impose their personal views on what can and cannot be the subject of comedy on everyone else.

(And yes - I know you are not at all saying this, but anyone can see that’s where this thread is heading!)

1 Like

Oh and one final thing - I don’t know whether I would go! But the only factor that would govern my decision on that is whether it was funny. If it’s funny - great. If it’s not funny (possibly likely) then no go.

I’m not sure there are no rules in comedy.
In skilled hands, and for the right reasons, off colour humour can be good.
And not offensive.

I’m not sure that’s the case here.

But anyway, my personal objections have nothing to do with the club, or my opinion on the saga.
It’s about the individuals.

I know I’m pre-judging, but it seems like the performer of this show either doesn’t know or doesn’t care about the impact this has had on individuals they’ll be mocking.

And I do find that, at the very least, in bad taste.

It’s not a ‘poor Essendon were screwed, you’ve got it wrong!’ thing.

This is a show by a very young green comedian, that’s going to held at trades hall - which contains some of the smallest comedy festival venues - it’s also where a lot of the ‘niche’ shows are held that don’t attract many punters.

There are approx 510 different shows being held at the comedy festival this year.

I don’t think one comic making jokes to a room of 20 people a dozen times is going to have any impact on anyone

1 Like

Humour got me through the saga. I hope there’s a mariachi inspired number #whateverittacos

11 Likes

Yay!
You’d hope not!

But that’s really not the point.
The point is that I don’t think I’d enjoy seeing people who have been hurt ridiculed.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have that much of a glass jaw. One or two lines that get a groan that turn into a sardonic smile is fine.
A whole freakin’ show would, I think, be another matter.

The show was called “Life is a cosmic joke.”

Now that’s what I call comedy! :rofl:

Did you watch the Taboo series on channel 10 last year? It dealt with this issue and was excellent

1 Like

Well, no.
Constant personal comments do, eventually, get on my nerves.

Was that the show where a comedian went and spent several weeks in a retreat with people who had all sorts of illnesses? Later he developed into a comedy act. The people from the retreat bought all their friends and family along - some of the material might have been seen as contraversial but was very, very, funny. Everyone was laughing and enjoying it.

1 Like

That’s the one. Made a bunch of jokes about people dying from terminal illness as well. It was really ballsy and brilliant - exactly what comedy should be.

Exactly like this show was that I saw. I laughed so much I ached for days. That kind of laughter is good for the soul and none of us do it often enough.

I doubt that’s the same thing.
Obviously I haven’t seen the show, but was it finding humour in the illness and the challenges that brought, or the actual people?

People love Tim Minchin for his musical bits on George Pell. I reckon that’s way more dangerous and way more harm in the story. Minchin is obviously talented to pull it off and choose the right target.

Surely no one really believes the saga is more off limits than the Catholic Church’s child abuse.

2 Likes

Love Tim Minchin.
Amazingly talented guy. Matilda is just brilliant.
He does do an awful lot of self-depreciating stuff, too.
And actually on his last tour he explained that he wouldn’t be doing the Pell stuff anymore.
Mostly because he wrote the song quickly and forgot it just as quickly, also because the song was about him testifying about someone else instead of hiding and not anything that came after.
But mostly, mostly, because enough already.

1 Like

And please tell me they promoted the hissing and booing of one of the true villains of this pantomime.