Computer problem

What’s the recommended malware scanning tool for PC these days.

not being a ■■■■■■■■.

Thought Malware Bytes was still the go to.

2 Likes

Yep, It’s what I use.

As a matter of interest, is there one for Macs?

Or virus scanners other than MacKeeper…which I won’t trust because of where it keeps popping up.

I run Bitdefender because my Cyber Insurance Policy* demands I run a virus scanner.

/* Yes that’s a real thing

Ta.

I don’t use PC so asking for a friend.

1 Like

Not familiar with it, because I thought you had to actually accept dodgy software into your system.

But ta.

Sorry to post here, I’ll find the Apple thread soon.

I have a MacBook Pro, about 10 years old I guess.

Runs like a ■■■■ on toast. Always get the beach ball thing, scrolls like treacle.

Sooooooo painful to use.

What’s the life expectancy on these things? Do I just upgrade to a new one, or is there some kind of refresh I can give it?

5-6 years on a Mac

1 Like

So, are the new ones any good? Not a fan boi, but it has been easy to use and I’d replace it with like I guess.

It’s been great, but it’s basically impossible to use.

Absolutely.

If I had tons of money and didn’t need to do anything intensive I’d get a MacBook, they’re so light!

If you want a cheap, new, reliable but average computer, and you don’t care for high screen resolution the MacBook Air is really good.

If you want good and fast just get another MacBook Pro.

Come away from the Dark side Tinny, … come towards the light!! :smirk:

What else should I be looking at buying.

Needs to be plug and play.

I really love the new MS surface stuff,… have always been a massive Toshiba fan, and have gone HP this time around, which I’m quite happy about, … but the latest to top the reviews has been Lenovo for the last couple of years.

Do you want something Top of the Range, or …??

This should help narrow it down, …

Capturehttps://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

1 Like

You could upgrade to an ssd and more ram for less than $400. I did that a few years ago with the missus’s iBook. Still going but slowing down now (also 10 years old).

1 Like

Strangely, my Mac just died somewhere in that age range. Straightaway ordered a new 27” 5K iMac with a 2Tb Fusion drive, lowest spec graphics card.

My highest level gaming is Sudoku or Cribbage.

I’ll never go back to Windows, and since I’m no longer working, no need for a laptop.

Does Windows still use a registry because that is just about the worst idea I’ve ever encountered.

The screens on those new iMac’s are just insane. If I didn’t need portability I’d be all over one.

1 Like

THT, do you use windows?

if no just stick to mac.

2 Likes