Computer problem

ipconfig /flushdns

Close all internet browsers. Then try reopen.

Note. I am not an IT support guy.

1 Like

OK if DNS shows 8.8.8.8 then I would reboot PC, modem and router and recheck.

Yeah, tried that one. Still the same.

Like I said, it’s both Phone & Laptop, … so I’m guessing it’s the Modem by process of elimination, …(or is that what DNS flush errm, . flushes :thinking: lol)

Yes try rebooting NBN modem and your router

Don’t have one of those,… just the Modem.

And I’ve rebooted it a number of times the past 2 days to no affect unfortunately.

But I just found this article

The posters issues exactly describe mine, … including being able to access through a VPN

Things to know:

I cant access these sites on any other web browser
When i use a proxy, these sites load.
ipconfig /flushdns had NOT worked
clearing my cache and history hasn’t worked either
On other PCs using the same internet connection (Although they are -wireless-) can NOT connect.

So I followed the steps in the proffered Solution, …

Open a command prompt window as administrator (will have to right click on icon and select “Run as Administrator” in drop down menu) and type the following commands:
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

Then reboot computer.

… then rebooted both Laptop and Modem at the same time.

Aaaaaand, … weirdly,… a couple I couldn’t access, I now can,… but a few I couldn’t, I still can’t. FMD!!

The 2nd part of the solution I’d already applied, (Change to 8.8.8.8 etc,) … so I’m fcked if I know?

Only other thing I can think of is to RESET the Modem, … but I’ll need to speak to my ISP to do that I suppose.

Is it all the ■■■■ sites you can’t access?

No don’t reset modem. Assuming you have checked the relevant websites are actually up using 4g on a phone then I think you should contact your ISP. Some ISPs can login remotely to your modem/router and fix issues like this.

1 Like

Lol, no. Why? Are they blocked in Scummos puritanical privacy free Australia now? :smirk:

One was linkt to load up the etag,… now can.

Yahoo mail, s… still can’t.

Good point & yep, sites are ok on 4G.

The weird thing is if I use a VPN, no problems, and the problem seemed to come out of nowhere. (I remembered it was actually happening prior to the the NBN going out )

F**KING Computers!!! :smile:

Sounds like your ip maybe black listed or maybe isp routing issue. Tether your pc to 4g then try and browse. That will tell you if it is something with the pc or with your internet connection.

2 Likes

Yep, that works.

Good test, I hadn’t thought of that.

So it’s def Internet connection, (Modem) right?

Yes it would appear so. What is the modem make and model #? What kind of NBN do you have? FTTN?

You can PM me if you like…

Hmm, … I’m actually going to shift ISP’s in the next week after having to wait in a queue for 30 mins for Tech support 7 or so times during my outage, and then having a lot of difficulty communicating with some of the blokes I spoke to, so I might wait until then, seeing how they are forcing me to take and use their (free) new modem.

Thanks all. :+1:

OK. You could try Aussie Broadband. Local support (based in Morwell). Very good quality service. Their online chat is also good for resolving issues.

2 Likes

Started with them. They were good, … but then cut out the plan I was on saying everyone was cutting that type, & forcing me to go a higher speed level, (with data limits )… which turned out to be completely false.

Gave FlipTV a go, they were best priced, and really, until the NBN went down (not their fault at all) I had no issues at alll with the service, in fact less dropouts than I had with Aussie BB.

Going to go to Belong now. A subsidiary of Telstra.

$5 more than I’m paying now for Unlimited at 2 and a half times the speed, (weird speed tiers, never seen one at 30 MBps down before), longer Tech support hours, and a 5 minute wait time, (yeah I rang to check) and accents I can decipher.

Okie dokie then. I assume they support your modem and/or will supply a new one?

1 Like

Yep.

del

I’m assuming you logged into the default (or set) gateway address to change the WiFi settings.

Similar thing stumped me once when it automatically switched itself off.