Connection to Fans

Forgot to add - I’m talking about the shade sail at the hangar.

I just did it now, from scratch. People making authoritive statements based on their vibes annoy me.

3 Likes

@theDJR can you tell us how many games we’ve played at the MCG with more than 0.1ml of rain since 2000, and how many times the roof at Docklands has protected us from more than 0.1ml of rain?

2 Likes

powerplant

2 Likes

No, but it was likely extremely close to the protection provided to the opposition of the time.

1 Like

Going up there is like joining some desperate bunch of footy refugees living under a concrete bridge. Our handlers keep a close eye but it can be diverting to try to make a run for the sweet mid-tier border.

1 Like

luckily if you read the post you’d know that’s not what I was saying.

I feel a lot of this is just not true. Theres always GA tickets free for our games on match day. You can sit almost anywhere if you sit above halfway up the top deck. The view from up there is absolutely suitable and better than sitting even at the bottom of the 3rd deck at the G.

Its easy to get to. Train to southern cross, walk for 5 mins. Easier than the G for those out in the west. Marvel gets ■■■■ on a lot. The G is ■■■■ for average games. If its during the day you get the sun in your eyes/ shadow on the ground, get burned or if its cold, its ■■■■■■■ freezing, or raining.

3 Likes

GA sells out before match day in seasons where Essendon is contending around the 8. This occurred at most games at the venue between 2017-19. It’s only been the last couple of years where the club has been terrible thst you can rock up match-day and get a seat easily in GA on level 3.

My views and experiences are on assumption Essendon becomes a ‘good’ side. A team contending for finals, drawing ‘sellouts’ most weeks with 40-42,000+ in the house.

Between 2017-19 that was a regularly occutance, even against interstate teams.

1 Like

Serious?

As somebody who stands for most games, give me docklands over the G any day.

3 Likes

Imagine the capacity pressures at Marvel if we became a contender.

i don’t think i’ve ever pre-booked a ticket at marvel, and have never been turned away on gameday

Move us back to the MCG already you stupid, dumb ■■■■ of a club.

3 Likes

What do you mean by this ? I prefer the G, but access for us to Marvel is much easier, either by train or with a carpark underneath.

There is a lift or escalator to Level 2, toilet is close by, food and drink is close by and we have the best seats in the house, level 2 wing. There are pubs and restaurants close by, so I really not sure what you mean.

I think the G better for atmosphere and again we have great seats level 2 Olympic stand close to food, drink etc, but parking is horrible and catching trams is bad and now I am old, walking is harder.

1 Like

That’s my point. 4-5 of the 7 games would be sellouts before matchday. And that’s certainly not a good outcome.

1 Like

By accessible I mean it’s more challenging than the MCG in a broad sense to attend or plan to attend. Reasons:

• Lack of AFL members seating. Often sellout prior to match-day for Essendon games.
  • No MCC section. These Essendon fans have to pay extra to go. ~3-5,000 MCC members won’t attend EFC games which isn’t a good thing in principle.
  • Lack of parking options overall, despite MCG now restricting parking in parklands to an extent
  • GA regularly sells out before match-day at most fixtures in years Essendon are in finals contention. GA patrons have to plan to arrive earlier than the MCG
  • Due to less GA available, more ‘fans’ need to prebook a reserved seat to avoid arriving early which is more costly than GA walkups at the G. It’s just another barrier to attend Marvel
  • Given bigger crowds sellout early, more challenging and difficult to arrange groups to attend and sit together. Often people don’t decide til match-day if going, if likely sellout they just won’t bother.

Simple solve is get reserved seat membership. Some can’t afford that or don’t want to sit in sane place coz they can’t go with friends.

Many of these are little imposts. Some are genuine barriers. Either way, they make the venue more inaccessible that the MCG in general.

why would there be? mcc has no connection at all to marvel stadium

‘Sellouts’ also mean 5,000-10,000 seats are empty

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with many of your points

• Lack of AFL members seating. Often sellout prior to match-day for Essendon games.
    We are AFL Members as well, but trying to get viewable seats at the G for Bomber away games is very hard. My nose bleeds in the walk-up section of the AFL standat the G and it is very hard to get to for older folks with old eyes.

• No MCC section. These Essendon fans have to pay extra to go. ~3-5,000 MCC members won’t attend EFC games which isn’t a good thing in principle.
    I actually don’t give a crap about MCC Members, they have it so easy anyway and few are Bombers Supporters

• Lack of parking options overall, despite MCG now restricting parking in parklands to an extent
    Docklands has many more parking options than the G, and public transport is so much better

• GA regularly sells out before match-day at most fixtures in years Essendon are in finals contention. GA patrons have to plan to arrive earlier than the MCG
    Last year GA at Marvel did not sell out once for any game Bombers layed there.

• Due to less GA available, more ‘fans’ need to prebook a reserved seat to avoid arriving early which is more costly than GA walkups at the G. It’s just another barrier to attend Marvel
    Yep, will agree it is best to reserve a seat, and the cost is high. Reckon we pay about $80 each for our homes games for our reserved seat.

• Given bigger crowds sellout early, more challenging and difficult to arrange groups to attend and sit together. Often people don’t decide til match-day if going, if likely sellout they just won’t bother.
    There has not been a sellout game for Bombers at Marvel and whatever it was before that for many years, even well before COVID

Still reckon footy was much better when I stood in the outer at Windy Hill with my esky full of VB and my packet of Marlboro Red

I agree. My point being it’s another significant cohort of Essendon supporters who are less likely to watch the Bombers play if we play most games at Marvel. We want all Bomber fans to come and watch us play.

Essendon has the 2nd largest cohort of MCC members. That one of the reasons why our crowds at the G will be larger than the equivalent crowd at Marvel. There’s 13,500 of them. We want to encourage them and all Bomber fans to watch us play. Otherwise they become disengaged and that’s not how you grow the supporterbase.