Connection to Fans

That’s the issue Essendon have to contend with.

If they can afford a MCC membership they can afford a couple of reserved tickets on the second deck of Marvel

4 Likes

Agree to disagree. As I said, much of the barriers are relevant and exist in years Essendon are a finals contending team. That’s why I referenced 2017-19. Surely that’s the desirable and assumed yardstick from a club review and planning stance.

Once you referenced 2022 as the ‘experience’ that was it. A year Essendon were finished in round 1 and fans disengaged and not attending from the outset. Of course there were few barriers in 2022.

2022 isn’t a relevant reference point from a strategic planning decision on Club home game arrangements.

That’s not the point. If Essendon want to grow its supporter base, and its membership to 125,000 then all supporters need to be engaged and wanting to attend as many home games as possible. Excluding a significant cohort of your local fanbase isn’t consistent with the ambitions documented in the current Strategic Plan (grow support, membership). Whether that’s MCC members of simply casual fans who can’t be bothered having to plan early, book seats or risk arriving late on matchday and being locked out or left with restricted viewing / standing room etc.

Are we still referring to MCC members? Theyre not excluded from attending games at Etihad, they just need to buy a ticket like every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry

To MCC members, that’s a barrier in attending Marvel! That’s the point I’m making. It’s less accessible for fans broadly. Crowds and latest Twitter polls confirm it. The G is preferred by ~80% of EFC fans. And that’s all that counts… Or it should count.

When was the last game you remember was a sellout at Docklands for the Bombers.

I remember big crowds when Hird was Coach, and after 2000 for many years, but not any in the past many, many years. Same at the G except for Anzac Day.

I reckon it has much more to do with the expense of going to the Footy and who well Foxtel has trained us to watch all of it on TV.

I have been a VFL/AFL Member since day 1 which I think was early 1980s, and Mrs Fox has been one for 30 years. This year we discussed cancelling it as we really do not get much value out of it, having HiMark Memberships. It was once much better value, with no reserved seating in the AFL Members stand and you justed rocked up for games, even the GF. AFL are just greedy turds who now screw their own Members over.

It cost us a shitload to go to the Footy. Food and drinks are extreme prices, tickets, parking, train/trams fares mean if you have kids, going every week can set you back many $1000s each year. Footy used to be the peoples games and going to Windy Hill, Victoria Park, Princes Park etc was very cheap entetainment. Sure you stood in the rain, but that was part of the joy. All has changed for the TV audience and to get a better visual.

3 Likes

how is it a barrier to attending games ? considering the time it takes to become an MCC member and it’s cost.

and you have mixed messaging. do you want what’s best for EFC members or MCC members ? unless you’re placing a higher emphasis on MCC memberships, which seems to go against the “do what the EFC members want” mantra that you keep running with.

or they could get the $99 add-on that grants ga entry to the 7 home games at marvel

^^^^^^^^ by far the number 1 determining factor in attendance. every team is going to have their dedicated nerds that go all the time, but casual fans are going to less games.

every team’s average home game attendance in 2022 could fit comfortably in marvel

by the way who else here knew that essendon’s average home attendance in 2022 was higher than melbourne’s?

2 Likes

Yeah, but wasn’t it a good snow season

most people should. I don’t watch footy shows but i’m pretty sure by the stupid ad’s for these programs that it was a news story for a few weeks there early season even when they were on their winning streak.

here’s an interesting stat just looking it up '(well if the page is correct)
essendon average more attendances than hawthorn during their premiership 3 peat, and on a quick glance every year since (granted they play some ■■■■■■ games in tassie, but then they couldn’t get enough people to games so) despite having success and supposedly an exponentially bigger membership base during those years.

like it or not, essendons theory on marvel seemed to be if you get a loyal 50 k supporter base you can charge them higher amounts for a membership and make similar money to those with 80k membership bases all through the oldest form of currency manipulation, supply and demand.

Someone apply

3 Likes

Between 2017-19 there were numerous sellouts of GA seating leading into match start. Attendances recorded between 42-46K.

We’re unable to reach anywhere near 50K now because we sell too many season seats and only between 40-60% show up to any game.

Shithouse grammar for a shithouse club.

2 Likes

Both. I want Essendon to be playing home games in front of as many Essendon fans as possible and by doing so making it easier for fans to watch them more regularly. That paves the way to growing the supporter base.

It’s a barrier they have to overcome attending Marvel. Ie: Thry have to want to buy a ticket and go. If it’s at the MCG, they simply turn up. Many MCC members can’t be bothered going to Marvel because they don’t like it or don’t want to pay extra… So they don’t go to many home games. Between 1993-1999 they went to more games annually because they had more games at the venue they hold membership.

As I said earlier, that’s there choice do some say bugger them. I say we’re indirectly excluding a portion of fans from attending games. That’s not maximising crowds and growing the supporter base.

Yes but that doesn’t solve problem that thousands of Essendon MCC members, and their friends and families won’t go an watch Essendon play if at Marvel.

Well Essendon supporter base is more than double the size of Melbournes. It’s a pretty good head start!

now you’re just making stuff up

Rubbish. I’m an MCC member and thrres a sizeable portion of them that won’t go to Marvel. Attendances differences on like for like games at MCG / Marvel support this. It’s not just an Essendon problem.