Consumers getting screwed

We get ours from a local guy at the farmers market.
■■■■■■ nice honey.
There is something to be said for living in the country when it comes to food.

4 Likes

I actually was a bit shocked, but you’re right that I shouldn’t have been!

We make some beautiful honey in Australia. And there should perhaps be more of a focus on buying Australian, as there was 15-20 years ago.

1 Like

I could definitely have heard this wrong, but eating local honey is supposed to help allay hay fever

SMJ loves getting riled up about supermarkets.

4 Likes

Im surprised that people thought it was 100% honey.

Fark the consumers.

Honey giant.

That’s a beauty.

2 Likes

i thought this was a review thread for knock shops.

3 Likes

It can become that if you had a poor experience?

I genuinely hope this comes back to the supermarkets not just capilano. They’re the ones who pressure companies like capilano for cheaper honey, cheaper than what capilano can produce it for. So the supermarkets threaten them with poor shelf and catalog space or worse, delisting them. Capilano sources cheap honey from overseas for the private label brands, and then takes the fall on it because it’s not up to standard? It’s the supermarkets who started all this

7 Likes

there was this one time…

naahhhhhh jks.

100% right. See above Micallef video for a painfully accurate explanation of that process

There are claims Manuka honey helps with hay fever, but not proven.

2 Likes

The theory is that if you eat honey from bees in your local area, it is made with local pollens, and therefore helps you acclimatise to said pollens.

1 Like

I think it’s more than a theory. Doctors now recommend exposing children to honey at the earliest opportunity (after 12 months due to the botulism risk) for exactly that reason

Spot on, see my post after SMJ.

Capilano have a large and modern laboratory including the Bruker NMR equipment. They know exactly what is in their honey.

Just like many of the industries and Companies we service, who use out of date “Standard Methods” to justify their product content and qualities.

Are the prices for a barrel of Canadian Oil Sands, Tapis or Brent?
Bob Hawke fixed the price of oil at Singapore prices and since then over 50% of Australia oil refineries have closed.