Cooking

Yeah this is on my shopping list for our post renovation outdoor cooking. The top line ones can get exxy, but all of them are more versatile than they look and probably worth it.

1 Like

I think this was my memory from last year when I did the brine/oil thing.

Iā€™ll just do the salted olives in bags this year. Very easy and came up ok, just got to figure out how to reduce the saltiness without putting back too much moisture.

Would have gone for a kamodo Joe if money was no object. But I certainly donā€™t regret buying the Akorn.

Some people have had issues with corrosion but I havenā€™t had any issues yet. Less then half the price of a Joe.

1 Like

Admittedly I was dubious when I first encountered this recipe for vegie loaf but it has become a bit of a staple and whilst Iā€™m not going to claim it fooled the carnivores Iā€™ve served it up to, by and large theyā€™ve eaten it. I actually like it and I never liked meatloaf. Itā€™s cheap as and made me giggle when I first made it.

No flash cooking involved, just mix a cup of crushed walnuts, small chopped onion, 5 crushed vitabrits, a cup of quick oats, french onion soup mix, a tub of cottage cheese, 5 beaten eggs, a quarter cup of oil, a splash of tom sauce and season as you wish. Cook it at 175 for 60 mins in a lined dish and let it sit for 15 mins.

Weā€™ll have it with Orgran vegie gravy and traditional roast vegies tonight and it keeps in the freezer and just needs microwaving, but sprinkle with a teaspoon of water first.
Iā€™ve lost the original recipe but there were a number of suggested variations from adding grated hard cheeses, soy and even vegemite. I used vitabrits and quick oats cos thatā€™s what we have but I gather you can use any low sugar cereal. The original suggested corn flakes and others mentioned alternatives such as bran flakes. I donā€™t recommend coco pops although they might help the colour.

4 Likes

Make a nice breakfast with some poached eggs.

Oh, and Bacon. :wink:

1 Like

The final product.
Overcooked the vegies, too busy posting on Blitz. It was noted, Ouch!

3 Likes

That looks pretty good.

Mate, you either need a bigger plate, or just go back for seconds. Thatā€™s ridiculous!

(Looks tasty too though)

2 Likes

Vegetarian lasagna soo nice. But I didnā€™t make it, wife did with thermomix. I still havenā€™t cooked anything with that yet.

2 Likes

Recipe?

Essentially a mix of the two recipes above.

2 Likes

that thermomix recipe does not look like it saves any time.

Ours is a quicker method but more work than Lanceā€™s mumā€™s.

Score olives with a knife, or bash with a meat tenderiser type hammer if you want to do it quicker. Soak olives in a bucket of salt water; change every day for 10 days (earlier if the olives lose their bitterness). Store in brine.

2 Likes

I may be having some dissonance here, but theres no difference right?

Yep sorry i should have mentioned that she does soak them changing water for around a week. Although it will depend on the type of olive. She has some that lose bitterness after a couple of days.

Salt water is a brine, but not all brines are just salt water.

Yes. Brine is quicker to type. As Lance said, google for correct concentrations, so I didnā€™t add more details.

Made some pies in the pie maker wife got from Kmart.

We just had some left over vege curry so that was the filling.
Also made some more marmite and cheese wheels.

I was trying to be a bit stingy on the pastry tops thatā€™s why some pies look poor compared to when I used the correct size.

4 Likes

Nice.

Howā€™d you make the wheel things?

I tried to make them with the kids a few weeks back. Made with cheese, Tom, salami. Werenā€™t great, didnā€™t have a recipe.

Just flat sheet of puff pastry then I spread marmite on and add some cheese evenly. (Or whatever fillling you like.
Then roll it up, slice it, pop it on a tray In the oven.

2 Likes