Cooking

This is a photo from a recipe book of a dish I just cooked. Mine was a bit crispy and didn’t have enough oregano, but well worth a try. Skin on chicken thighs browned, cherry tomatoes, potatoes boiled, oregano, red wine vinegar, then baked.

Great dish

Edit-it’s a Jamie Oliver recipe. Lovely jubblies

Made a kangaroo faux bolognese earlier this week (faux because i add extra vegies and my chef friends tell me i can’t call it bolognese any more!)

Tis yummmmm!

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13958178_10153866785328099_8100745947590717978_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Also experimenting with making kangaroo jerky. Pretty good results so far but will keep at it!

Made a kangaroo faux bolognese earlier this week (faux because i add extra vegies and my chef friends tell me i can't call it bolognese any more!)

Tis yummmmm!

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13958178_10153866785328099_8100745947590717978_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Also experimenting with making kangaroo jerky. Pretty good results so far but will keep at it!

Even people in Bologna don’t call it Bolognese. It’s ragu.

Call it Ragu Roo or Roo Ragu.

And people in Bologna won’t use spaghetti as the pasta. It’s needs a pasta with more surface like a tagliatelle or a rigatoni, or even a fettucine or a penne.

Made a kangaroo faux bolognese earlier this week (faux because i add extra vegies and my chef friends tell me i can't call it bolognese any more!)

Tis yummmmm!

Harrumph …

Roogu?

Barnz…pls.

No ONE wants to know anything about Roo Goo …

Going to have a go at a Laksa this weekend. Any tips from anyone?

Buy it a drink first

Buy it a drink first

Always do.

Gennaro Contaldo on Youtube. Anything he does is fkn rolled gold.

Risotto with balsamic and meatballs is one of my favourites

Any suggestions about what I can do with something north of a kilo of portobello mushrooms that have to be used pronto?

Any suggestions about what I can do with something north of a kilo of portobello mushrooms that have to be used pronto?

sprinkle some eckies on them.

Chop them up, sptread 'em on oven trays , and put the oven on ultra low, and dehydrate them over night … 2 days.

Put 'em in an airtight jar, and soak in boiling water to reconstitute as neede. Go well in a pasta sauce etc.

Great bark on these ribs, and some amazing morsels, but overlooked them to the Schizen. Too hot. 6 hours work down the drain. Still fun to learn how to master bbq

How to impress your friends and family, you’ll never cook corn ‘the old way’ again

Anyone got any experience with Gumbo?

Have only made gumbo once. Depends on what region of the south, what goes in it.

The one I made was from the Charlestown region, from an old American recipe book, which was lent to me by a friend, was all seafood the one I made, was delicious even made corn bread to go with it. However each region has their own method and ingredients, like adding some type of meat, sausage etc.

Perhaps google, to get the different ingredients that the regions use and find what suits your tastes if your interested in making one.

I’ve done a few…but years back.

It takes hours. You’ve got to get the roux right first…takes about 45 minutes.

There are short cuts but it’s not the same thing.

The first essential is the roux.
The second essential is the Cajun trinity of equal amounts of onion, celery and capsicum.

Then stock.
Then okra
Then you can throw in almost anything you want, eg. Chicken, seafood, chorizo (does take over so careful)

Never tried Okra, is it good? I like basically everything. What’s it taste like?

For me was going to go the lot, spicy sausage prawns and crab, maybe even chicken too (probs not + the seafood)

Okra is pretty boring.

To me it’s more of a texture thing, a bit mushy like a cooked zucchini. I’m pretty sure they’re just a cheap vegetable that would’ve been used to throw into the pot to fill out the dish.