Coteries

Essendon Coterie groups do a great job for our Club. Much of it goes unrecognised & is done without fanfare, especially in relation to player support & welfare.

But yep there are all sorts of ways of supporting the Club.

Be a Coterie Member & tip in big through your wallet.
Be a Club Member & actually attend games, events, training etc.
Be a fan who buys souvenirs & barracks from afar.
Or any combination of the above.

Of course you can just be a loud mouthed know all on Blitz instead.

Works for me
Some people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to coteries and coterie members. Kind of a reverse snobbery. Fact is they do a lot of good for the club, and are one of the reasons we've been a powerhouse over the years. Get over it.

As for those who accuse them of undue influence, well thatā€™s a bit rich. Every man and a dog here has an opinion on how things might be run better, and clamouring to have a say in things. Fair enough too, even if some of the notions are bizarre. Unfortunately (or fortunately) most of it goes no further than that for most of us. Iā€™d bet, given the chance, weā€™d be using our influence to whisper in the right ear about how Hird should be kept on, or why he should be sacked - and so on.

Theyā€™re the lucky souls who believe they have some influence, true or otherwise, but they pay for it.

Opinion is one thing but when you have power it is your responsibility to use it correctly. Withholding sponsorship $ (and large amounts) until you get your way is not correct.

Absolutely true.

I have always wondered about business where my best customers pay on time, never complain and come back every time. My worst customers whinge about everything and every order is a shitefight. They always screw us for the best price though, and as we always need their business, I donā€™t tell them to fark off.

A footy club should be different, but some guy who give a million bucks and you need to dough to pay off a sacked coach, you may listen to him , more than mugs like me .

I was talking to someone in a coterie group too, they said they do all these dastardly things behind closed doors.
so therefore itā€™s your job to prove iā€™m wrong or what i said was wrong.

Iā€™m sure if you asked hitler why he hated jews heā€™d say i donā€™t hate them, or maybe if you asked tony abott about all his lies, heā€™s say what lies.

Iā€™m one who questions the influence the coteries have, but thatā€™s downright pathetic argument that they donā€™t do any backroom shenanigans.

you asked one member and they said oh no of course we donā€™t do anything, what would you expect them to say, even if they were the worst people on earth ?
oh yeah hey you random who isnā€™t one of us, yeah we do all this dodgy ā– ā– ā– ā–  but shhh donā€™t tell anyone.

Coteries are a rip off, iā€™ll cook my own party pies and sausage rolls.

Lol .......... outraged 3 Game Members.

Has the same voting rights as pretty much every other membership (i.e. you have a vote or you donā€™t).

I was talking to someone in a coterie group too, they said they do all these dastardly things behind closed doors. so therefore it's your job to prove i'm wrong or what i said was wrong.

Iā€™m sure if you asked hitler why he hated jews heā€™d say i donā€™t hate them, or maybe if you asked tony abott about all his lies, heā€™s say what lies.

Iā€™m one who questions the influence the coteries have, but thatā€™s downright pathetic argument that they donā€™t do any backroom shenanigans.

you asked one member and they said oh no of course we donā€™t do anything, what would you expect them to say, even if they were the worst people on earth ?
oh yeah hey you random who isnā€™t one of us, yeah we do all this dodgy ā– ā– ā– ā–  but shhh donā€™t tell anyone.

I know that a some coteries have it as part of their rules that they stay out of Club Politics.

Think your analogies with Adolf and Tony are more nonsense.

Theyā€™ve rigged every Oscar night, Iā€™ll give them that!

Essendon Coterie groups do a great job for our Club. Much of it goes unrecognised & is done without fanfare, especially in relation to player support & welfare.

But yep there are all sorts of ways of supporting the Club.

Be a Coterie Member & tip in big through your wallet.
Be a Club Member & actually attend games, events, training etc.
Be a fan who buys souvenirs & barracks from afar.
Or any combination of the above.

Of course you can just be a loud mouthed know all on Blitz instead.

Works for me

That bolded comment is hilarious.

Youā€™d have to be mental to buy anything the club tries to push.

The rich are so misunderstood

If working is so good for the rest of us, why donā€™t the rich do it?

I hope the LAWDONS are putting in the hard yards on old mates legal action

I don't care if you are a member of a coterie or just a regular barracker, once you see a coach playing Hocking on Le Cras at fuill back you have an obligation to use whatever influence you have to get that coach replaced.

HAHAHA

I find it a bit rough decrying coterie groups, the money they tip into the club and the influence that money will inevitably have (good intentions mind you, if they influenced the Knights sacking itā€™d be because they want us to be good, not because they are playing politics), whilst enjoying the fruits of the TVSC and ridiculing the ā€œtin rattler clubsā€.

I have been involved with the Diamond Dons coterie for nearly 10 years now. 90% of the guys and girls involved are small to medium enterprise business owners/ leaders or just middle aged guys who put their coin into the club 'cause they can.

Almost everyone in the Diamond Dons is just a normal everyday punter who loves the club like anyone. Yes we have good access to the ā€œinner sanctumā€ and some in the club rate the opinions of the coterie members - but the opinions are on business matters not football. I know Michael Schiavello well and whilst he has allot to say and maybe overdoes his role in the coterie, heā€™s both very much in the minority but with all good intent.

The influential ā€œpower brokersā€ are in the Essendonians - support the club quite heftily in $ terms of have some influence at club level (Ron Kirwan, Peter Dore, Dr Peter Hughes)

When are we going to start the blitz coterie?

The rich are so misunderstood

If working is so good for the rest of us, why donā€™t the rich do it?

Lay off the rich.
They are the silent victims in this sordid affair.

Is the ā– ā– ā– ā–  Reynolds Club a coterie group?
I was a member for a year, but never found the time to turn up to events.

When are we going to start the blitz coterie?

how many spoons we got?

I see the word coterie and donā€™t really know what it meansā€¦so for now, my brain has just stored it in the same area as rotisserie and charcuterie.

So I would guess that a coterie is a group of fat cats, sitting round, eating grilled meats, maybe waving a bone in hand, with a bib on, laughing, and being a bit gross and demanding.

1 Like

I did the greatest post in the history of the internets regarding this topic last night but lost it.

It would have changed everything.

Donā€™t drink and post kids.