COVID-19 Round 13 - IT'S NOT A RACE!

3 Likes

Pfft only consular staff there.
@Heffsgirl has placed AFP outside the residences of Ambassadors and other diplomats .in Canberra

2 Likes

Iā€™m expecting gladys to drastically up the exaggeration of how many cases her measures have saved Sydney from thousands to tens of thousands within days

1 Like

2 Likes

7 Likes

From the article:
The pickup in cases has led to some debate over whether the UK government should further shorten the recommended interval between Pfizer doses, recently lowered from 12 weeks to eight.

This doesnā€™t make sense as it has been 3-6 weeks between Pfizer doses - have they mixed it up with AZ vaccine?

Yeah, thatā€™s odd. I agree - think itā€™s a typo & they mean AZ in that para. But bulk of article is about Pf. I think.

Iā€™m 39 years old
Missus decided at 2:30 yesterday I should get AZ jab
She jumped online, booked it. 30 minutes later was in the room and had it done.

I understand Pfizer has a longer waiting time. But I was staggered how quickly we got it done.

20 Likes

And remarkably, you are still alive!

10 Likes
19 Likes

Delta is a persistent beast.

3 Likes

Stubborn ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . That short exposure to infectiousness time proving challenging to fully isolate.

Still trending positive though.

What do we reckon, restrictions ease this Wednesday or the Monday after?

If the next couple of days are fully isolated then itā€™ll be Tuesday. If not they may push to the end of the week.

1 Like

There has been some communication that things are ā€˜on trackā€™ to ease Tuesday, but that can obviously change and what ā€˜easingā€™ looks likeā€¦who knows.

2 Likes

The reality is this most likely wonā€™t be the only covid jabs people will take. So I think itā€™s best to optimise the response for the more immediate timeframe and boost up, if needed, when itā€™s required.

Great article. And it confirms what was already suspected. I wonder if that will inform or change ATAGIā€™s recommendation for dosing regime locally. Stretching out the time period between doses will allow the government to get more doses more quickly, which will not only help introduce some protection more widely, but will allow vaccination stats to paint them (EDIT: the government) in a better light.

Comparing the UK and Israelā€™s studies in the article is difficult, because they use several different measurements of efficacy, which Iā€™ll summarise below, assuming Israel regime is 3 week interval between doses, and UK is 12 weeks between doses, which it has been until it was dropped to 10 weeks recently:

• 3 week dose is 39% effective against infections
  • 12 week dose is 88% effective against symptomatic disease
  • 3 week dose is 88% effective against hospitalisation
  • 12 week dose is 96% effective against hospitalisation
  • 3 week dose is 91.4% effective against severe disease

These are in order of severity, as not everyone who is infected goes on to develop symptoms, and not everyone who ends up in hospital necessarily has severe disease. The only common data point is hospitalisation, where the difference between a 3 week dose and a 12 week dose has a real world difference of 88% to 96%. Or the other way around, a 12 week dose has a 4% chance of failing you, and leaving you in hospital, compared to a 12% chance of leaving you hospitalised with a 3 week dose.

Thatā€™s a significantly different level of protection.

The bit I find interesting is the note of a rapid drop off in antibody response after one dose. Other studies have noted a greater protection level after one dose when the gap between doses is longer, leading to the suggestion that allowing longer for the immune reaction to ā€œmatureā€ may be a factor that improves immune response. As antibody response is a test tube analysis, and the other studies are a real world difference in hospitalisation, Iā€™m inclined to believe there is decent protection after only a single dose, and waiting the longer time period for the second dose has more long term benefits.

If ATAGI changes their recommendation before my second dose is due in a month or so, Iā€™ll consider pushing my second dose beyond the 6 weeks that it is currently set at.

5 Likes

UK has been placing a 12 week gap between Pfizer doses, in order to get more first doses out more quickly. They recently reduced it to 10 weeks. Now considering 8 weeks.

EDIT: Already at 8 weeks, not 10.

3 Likes

Would that be because case numbers are rising again and they want to get more people fully vaxxed.