Covid 19 - Round 6 . The Winter Slog

Sensible approach during this time.

Makes sense from a preventing the spread of the virus perspective. Affected staff are probably wondering how they’re going to pay their bills if their shifts have essentially been cut though.

Considering a lot of supermarkets have people on part time hours they could use their brains and give more shifts to people.

2 Likes

Is it feasible to legislate so that casuals in high risk workplaces (aged care) must show -ve test result less than a week old to get a shift? And daily temperature tests at start of shift?

That would encourage testing instead of discouraging it.

My irrelevant anecdote on casual workplace culture:

I was on a newly formed team of 30+ staff with 2 full timers, then middle management were the next step up. We had a 90% KPI for each month. Starting out, we smashed the KPI for three months straight, so the number crunchers cut the “total hours you can use” budget because, hey we’re hitting the KPI, why spend so much? So 30+ staff got less hours - a pay cut - for doing our job well. So the next two years or so we happened to hit 89.9% every month. Churned through half a dozen or so “talented” middle managers in that time, none of who could ever work out how to get that extra 0.1%

-edit- new staff who came in during that time after getting their week-long induction including how important KPIs were usually took around 20, sometimes 30 seconds to radicalise into our way of looking at it.

6 Likes

I tried to reply to a previous comment in Rd 5 but we are now in Rd 6.

It is disappointing that some are so committed to find a way to blame the government rather than the people that were paid to do a task. FFS i live in the country where this virus 1st took hold. When it got going strong additional security guards were placed on the entrance to everything with the sole task of measuring temperatures, making sure are were wearing a mask and checking your Covid-19 tracking code was green. These people the week before were potato farmers or digging holes, but now they had a dark blue uniform, a red arm band, a pen and a digital thermometer. And guess what they did their job.

4 Likes

The difference being discussed here is that seemingly the crew in your post were told exactly what to do and not do.

Here, they weren’t.

Didn’t think you had to tell a security guard to not ■■■■ a quarantined individual.

6 Likes

I have very low expectations of people, and even I wouldn’t have felt the need to make that explicit unless I was asked about it.

1 Like

Yeah but what if she was hot

5 Likes

you would think so, but these days it is about finding someone else to blame for your stupidity.

What if HE was hot? How do we know we weren’t dealing with a Sutton type hottie? Or that it was even a female who was the quarantinee.

3 Likes

She was - raging temperature.

And a bit of a cough.

Actually just realized - maybe the guard had bad BO, and because she couldn’t smell she was the first girl who went near him in years?

(Excuse my hetro-normative assumptions about the respective genders of all involved.)

What em said.

If they had just bought Draper in to do the guarding, all the problems would have been solved, going by the Draper thread.

2 Likes

People involved in offbeat sex stories that make the news are NEVER hot

3 Likes

Meanwhile…
But I take a Panadol to lower my temperature.
I don’t need to wear a mask because it invades my human rights.
COVID-19 tracking app? Pfft! Tracking me is invasion of my privacy.
Corona ain’t got ■■■■ on me!

I just went off at a team member for going with “I’m not worried about coronavirus, lots of people die every year, have you seen the suicide numbers”

I think I need a break…

4 Likes

The postcode lockdown is up there with some of the dumbest decisions ever made. It wasted 2 weeks of lockdowns and set us back 6 weeks.

4 Likes

Maybr if we threaten to execute people here then they will listen?