COVID-19 Round 9 - vax on, vax off

10 Likes

This is a pretty simplistic view of it though in reality. No other aspect of Australia’s bio security is the responsibility of Border Force. Border force are no experts in bio security and quarantine than they are fiscal policy. That’s not say it shouldn’t be a federal responsibility, just that it’s not simply implied that it should be a border force responsibility.
Unfortunately we were clearly very unprepared for this sort of eventuality at all levels of government, including the bio security and quarantine requirements for a large cohort of people entering the country (as opposed to plants or livestock etc). Even as recently as last week we’ve learned that both state and federal governments still underestimate the requirements of quarantine for retuned travelers. Slow learners we are.

1 Like

You missed the massive pisstake

No I didn’t. But underneath that pisstake there’s a genuine misconception about the issue.

1 Like

That’s what someone that missed it would say

2 Likes

That is what somebody who misconstrues the issue would say.

Please don’t turn this into another IT (and other guy) style shi.tfight…

He started it dad.

3 Likes

Ehhhh?
Is there though?

Seems a little weak to say ‘this isn’t their field because they have no experience in it.’
No-one has any experience in it, and yet the Premiers have been dealing with new laws and rules every day.

And while covid was a massive issue internally, imo, the role of the Federal Government was to support the states.

But we are, hopefully, beyond that now and the massive issue is international arrivals.
And that has to be a Federal thing, surely?

Maybe there is a national policy and I just don’t know about it?
But I don’t understand why Morrison isn’t doing a Dan style presser explaining how things are going to be from that perspective.

The attitude seems to be play it as it lies and let the individual states sort it out, which seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

I’m Not bagging the guy, or border force, I’m just genuinely confused.
As confused as I am that I’ve heard way more about Meghan Markle or whatever her name is, than the fact that Fraser Island has been on fire for the last month.

6 Likes

I agree completely that it should be a federal thing, 100% agree, just not sure Border Force as it currently stands is the best agency to deal with it and can see why they weren’t entrusted with the responsibility from the outset. I also agree that some 9mths later we damn well should’ve worked this out by now and it’s pretty appalling that it hasn’t.

I would’ve thought outside economic management it should’ve been the single biggest point of focus for the federal government from the outset.

2 Likes

Evangelical cowards. Bet they wouldn’t be Evangelical if they were poor.

1 Like

That’s funny coming from you.

2 Likes

ha - thread is turning into National Cabinet.

4 Likes

So who plays Scomo and Dan Andrews?

:laughing:

The pertinent question is who gets the luxurious hair of Dr. Nick Coatesworth?

1 Like

Quite obviously me.

Ok, I’ll allow it - but if you tell me to make my bed, I’m going to tell you to ■■■■ off

(for reference)

1 Like

@SMJ
I just saw your call in the previous thread.

First, it is hard to say with lack of details but this is a very troubling outcome for the Oxford vaccine.

It IS possible for a higher dose to give a lesser immune response. But this “high zone tolerance” is usually in very tightly controlled experimental models. Even though covid keeps offering up surprises, I would be very surprised if it pertained here.

Using Occam’s razor, the most likely explanation is batch to batch variation. The batch used for the full dose for some reason was not as immunogenic as the next, with the potential complication of it being less effective in over-55s, who are after all the most vulnerable group.

They still may get the UK regulators smoothing the way for them but this failure of A-Z’s QC system would be fatal for registering the Oxford vaccine in USA or Europe if others do not have this problem. They would need to start clinical trials over again.

I hope Scotty from Marketing has not paid AZ for this vaccine yet.

3 Likes

Ask my Mrs about my views on making the bed and you’ll understand you’ll be receiving no such direction from me…