Cricket Part II

Interesting thought, and not without merit.
Not what Lehmann said, though.

Can’t imagine he would these days but Smith is better off just bowling himself for the 6-10 odd overs per innings as a relief. Surely M.Marsh won’t bowl much more than that per inning(s)?

But doesn’t having the option of giving our quicks shorter, sharper spells without having to do so much of the ‘donkey’ work into the wind give us a better chance of taking 20 wickets more quickly?

2 Likes

You make a good point.

You could read Lehmann’s comment to mean the same, even if he didn’t say it directly. The WACA is going to be flat, and to take 20 in reasonable time, we are probably going to need someone like him.

I’d rather the donkey

2 Likes

And given his history, nobody could blame you for feeling that way, IT. I reckon he might do okay on his home deck, the real ‘trick’ will be for him to keep backing it up. We could really do with a serviceable all-rounder so will be hoping he finally lives up to his potential. It will obviously make us a better team, if so.

I agree. I wanted him to work previously. It is just so frustrating, it is worse than waiting for Shane Watson all those years.

1 Like

Is it too late to clone Keith Miller?

The biggest problem with Marsh IMO was mainly due to fact our top order kept crumbling and then he’d offer next to no resistance when we needed him to put up a fight.

And he was being picked in side as a batting all rounder, who bowls handy fast medium. His batting is destructive in 20/20 but was being found out at test level.

Whether he has worked on ironing out technical flaws with batting we shall see if gets picked.

Why is the waca a road for the tests but has enough in it for the bowlers in the shield matches?

I’d like to see the figures, but at a guess:

They may add a bit more water because of the shortened fixture.

For many reasons (mostly $) it’s in everyone’s interests that a Test goes as deep as possible, so not too bowler-friendly.

Early in the season the pitches tend to do a bit more because there’s more moisture under the surface.

The curator at the WACA uses the best pitch in the middle of the square, whereas a lot of Shield matches would be played on the outside pitches and may not be as good.

Also, the second half of last season the Shield matches were played using the Duke ball, they tend to move around more. They’re also going to be using them in the new year.

One of the great strengths in the Aussie team in the 90-00 was that many of the batters were capable of bowling a few. Think players like M.Waugh, Boof, Clarke ect. Seems as though the batsman we pick these days are one dimensional in that sense, surely most of these blokes would have bowled in the junior years and could work on itv a bit? Clarke started using M. Hussey for 1-2 before lunch breaks and had a good run of picking up a wicket near the end of his career.

1 Like

MARSH

1 Like

1 Like

Not enough respect being given for Steve Waugh’s bowling. Mark filled an end; when his back wasn’t broken, Steve was a legit wicket taker.

(Their stats aren’t actually that different, surprisingly… to me at least.)

2 Likes

SWaugh had that bean ball that bowled people, though.
Just magic.

1 Like

You mean like Maxwell claims he has done?

You mean like Pat Cummins ?

Or are we looking for the new Nugget Miller, to open both the batting and the bowling ?

1 Like