Cricket Part II

Bairstow has spoken about that today. First there was no headbutt, we all knew that though, the Aussies said as much, second, he said the claims being made about the Aussies going too far are wrong.

Not like the English media to make a beat up about the Aussies that is wrong. No reason they would do that at all: 2-0.

1 Like

Anything guys like Prior and Swann say about sledging should be taken with so much salt that your blood pressure will spike, your arteries will harden like concrete and you’ll die in seconds.

From what some English players have said, the sledging they themselves get from the likes of Anderson and Broad is worse than what Johnson, Warner etc would hand out. Heaven help you if you misfield or drop a catch off them. Nothing if they do the same.

One of the Australian commentators on the ABC, probably Rogers or Nannes, was talking about a Notts game where a Notts player of Indian ancestry misfielded, and the level of sustained personal abuse he got from his own bowlers (I think Broad and Ryan Sidebottom) was mind-boggling.

That was one of the things I had against MacGill. Back in the days when Optus broadcast Shield games, MacGill bowled a half-tracker and it was smashed through point. Nash, I think (Don Nash?) dived full length and got one hand to it and dropped it. Copped an absolute mouthful from MacGill for his trouble. Just not done! If you drop a plum pudding through slackness or squibbing it, fair enough, but not if you’ve bowled utter tripe.

2 Likes

And?

They will give him another chance - in India or SL when we’re down in the series and bat him at either 8 or 2.

Dion Nash? I thought he was a QLDer, and i think i remember some connection with the Windies?
(ie when they really hit the skids in the 2000s/10s they started digging through FC cricketers who had even the slightest family connection)

EDIT: that’s Brendan Nash, Dion was a Kiwi quick.

1 Like

Right. Neeeever heard of him.

England 4-118 v CAXI

They’ve rested their test players except for Ali who went out for 24.

“Duckett, who was convicted of drink-driving in 2015, poured a drink over the head of a senior Test player following a heated argument at a Perth bar. Early reports suggested he was rowing with Jimmy Anderson.”

The most impressive thing here is getting that drunk before Perth closing time at 9pm.

1 Like

It’s important you work fast when you are restricted by a curfew.

Reminiscent of the six o’clock swill back before about 1970…probably a bit earlier.

Pubs shut at 6, Young and Jackson’s packed, blokes vomiting as they crossed FlindersSt.

Things keep going from bad to worse for the tourists, as their cohesion evaporates.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/38229715/duckett-suspended-for-drunken-misdeed/

After we win the next Test we won’t be sledging.
The Australian players will be putting an arm around their shoulders and saying to the English press, ‘oh, fair go…’.

1966, actually. The Swill was mighty. At five to six on a Friday the bar counter was literally covered with full pots, and the customers were four to six deep, all pushing forward. Imagine what it was like to be a bloke in the front row, squashed against the counter, trying to pick up five or six pots at once and get out through the throng. Think about the blokes in the third row, getting pots passed back to them over the heads of the blokes in the second row; think about the odd bloke in the second row, who had a full pot or two spilt over his head. Today’s Pommy cricketers would be in their element.

It was a proud Australian tradition, symbolic of our nation. These blokes, many of them, had been through hell in WWII, and were damaged for life. It wasn’t a pretty sight, but it only lasted for half an hour, from 5:45 to 6:15, and at least it was OURS. I was proud to be part of it, thumbing my nose at the self-important wowsers like Bolte and Rylah, who were lecturing us nonstop on how to stay in our places and behave properly and respectfully like good little Liberal Aussies. Rather like Trumble and his push today.

The Six O’Clock Swill was ended, replaced by Ten O’Clock Closing and the world moved on. Instead of spending half an hour getting smashed out of our brains, we now had an extra four hours to do it in, comfortably… Progress !

4 Likes

No more shield games until feb. If they drop Handscomb it’ll be for the series, unless bbl games count in the selectors minds…

they do

If you’re Mitch Marsh, or Shane Watson in previous years…

“We just want to have the ability to get 20 wickets. So if the three and Nathan [Lyon] can do that so be it. If we decide to go with an extra one it would be for that reason,” Lehmann said.
Tests since 2016
Mats
Inns
Wkts
Ave
Eco
SR

He’s taken 2 for 96 from two innings in Shield this year.

2 Likes

His name is Marsh, that’s the most important stat.

2 Likes

To he fair, if does play, his value will be pushing up into the ‘doctor’ and giving the quicks a spell without leaking too many runs.if he were to get any wickets. that would be a be bonus.

1 Like