Cricket Part II

If Curtly Ambrose is “fast medium” then Hazelwood is slow.

2 Likes

So let’s see, it’s roughly a year since rod marsh cracked the sads and quit. The new selectors were hailed as heroes after selecting for the future with Handscomb, Maddinson and Renshaw. Wade was keeper.

A little over a year later and we’re going to see an Australian team with all four of those blokes gone. A return of both Marsh brothers and an even older keeper.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

5 Likes

And I. :grinning:

I’m no champion for Mitch Marsh, in fact I wouldn’t have picked him, but I do see real value in a role he could play if he miraculously became bountiful and consistent. Having said that, if he’s picked today, I wish him well. Would love to see him peel off some runs and apply a bit of pressure with the ball.

They were going to announce the team yesterday but delayed ‘til they viewed the pitch this morning. I take this as a positive for Hanscomb’s chamces of selection. Maybe if it isn’t an absolute road, they’ll still go with him. We’ll know soon!

It better not be a road. Watching Ross Taylor peel off 290 has put me off waca roads for life

1 Like

That and watching the Saffies chase down 400+ with only 4 down about 8 years ago. Let’s hope the last WACA pitch has something for everyone.

Don’t forget Sylvester Clarke. If he was still alive he might throw a brick at you. Clarke was fearsome with the perfect bouncer. Only managed 11 tests before signing for South African mercenary tours.

From wikipaedia:

“Viv Richards claimed Clarke was the only bowler he did not feel comfortable batting against, David Gower stated that Clarke was by far the fastest man he ever faced, and in the mid-1980s Garry Sobers wrote that Clarke was “the quickest and most hostile fast bowler now playing in world cricket”

1 Like

Jeff Dujon, perhaps the best person to ask, rates Patrick Patterson as the quickest in his time. I did not think his story about said fast-bowler would go down too well these days though.

So is it just bookies trying to pay players and players saying No?

It sort of reads like bookies making claims they have players but no players implicated (except to make sure to say it isn’t England).

Well, there are eleven players implicated.
Maybe I’ve had too much coffee, but this seems win-win to me.
Either some corrupt players are expelled from the game for life, or The Sun goes bankrupt.
I don’t see how there can be any middle ground.

Technically the Sun hasn’t named anyone or claimed what the bookies say is true, they just have what the bookies say. I doubt they will have much to answer for.

However their implication that it isn’t England does leave it open that they are saying it is the Aussies. I think it is being done just as a way to try and put some heat on the Aussies because their side has been belted on the field and off the field.

1 Like

I’m not sure what to think.
And that’s kind of the point.
It would be interesting to see whether the courts agreed with your very narrow reading, particularly in England.
Does it diminish the reputation of identifiable people?
Yes.
Is it true?
Well…who knows?

If it was me, (lol, and it is not and would not in any one of the multiverses be me) I’d be exploring my options.

I’m getting onto a slow boat on the Mekong River, and floating away from (Thái) mobile reception, at pretty much the time of the first ball.

The Ponmy bastardos on this trip will be happy about that.

When it comes to defamation, courts tend to be pretty strict about what they prosecute and what they let slide.

Coming from that ■■■■ of a paper I take it as 100% BS. If you’ve got actual proof, like email/text message exchanges that can verify these claims, fine, but to me it just seems like a story concocted to try and put pressure onto us. Notice how they manage to mention that not English players are involved, so of course who does that leave? As if they needed any further ammunition to batter the Poms into the dirt…

Not always.
Exploding White Mice successfully sued a music reviewer for calling them space cadets, implying that they took drugs.
From what I’ve heard England is broader than Australia with regards to defamation.

Rain is predicted for days 4 and 5.

You’re quite right, of course. I stuffed up: I reversed the names of Walsh and Ambrose. It was Walsh who was the fast-medium, not Ambrose. That doesn’t mean that Walsh didn’t ever bowl fast, just that his fastest deliveries didn’t come as often. His career stats show he was the more effective bowler, too. I’ve edited the original post.

BTW, it’s interesting that neither of these gets into the list of the 10 fastest bowlers of all time, but Brett Lee does. So do Shaun Tait (who?) and Thommo, but not Lillee. The ratings were based on single deliveries rather than a series of them. https://sporteology.com/top-10-fastest-bowlers-in-the-history-of-cricket/

1 Like

Didn’t the article say "no English stars involved "?
Well, duh, they don’t have any, so that leaves the rest of them…

7 Likes