Cricket Part II

His BBL thus far:

79*
49*
35*
68*

285 runs for twice dismissed, average 142.5

Matador Cup was top runscorer, 457 @ 76.16 with a strike rate of 99.

Shield 167 runs @ 83.5.

The Bear deserves the call-up!

8 Likes

It’s a split-second decision. It’s not about “growing a pair”, that’s a silly comment.

As I thought. he has looked better in the BBL games I have seen than Maxwell.

Doesn’t matter if it is split second, he chose to avoid being hit and it cost him his wicket. So grow a pair and get hit.

Better to be hit by the ball rather than the ball hitting the stumps.

btw I don’t think he should have been given out and i don’t think Bailey should have appealed.

Can’t argue with thise numbers! :bear:

He said he felt like he would make his ground, so it didn’t matter if the ball hit the stumps. Why get hit when you don’t need to?

1 Like

Makes no sense if you’re looking to the future though.
Maxi might be put in the Hodge category.

If he had run straight the ball wouldn’t have hit him. But as he ran to the angle the ball ended up hitting him anyway.

It was a stupid decision to make.

Consistency & reliability is what they after. Maxwell not providing that at present. ‘Big show’ reverse sweeping first ball of innings type plays just because standing against him.

White has the temperament to knuckle down and build innnings as well as be destructive when needing to up run rate. Also fine fielder.

Clearly in top form also.

I like Maxwell, he has been a favourite since he started but unless he gets more consistent and makes better choices while batting then he won’t have a future.

1 Like

Funny when Mark Waugh was discussing candidates on the commentary last night he threw Whites names into the mix. It stuck out then and clearly with reason.

45* (saved a draw)

Where’s this “5 innings” in a row where he missed out?

1 Like

Would have thought Maxwell’s recent double century in the shield showed he has the ability to knuckle down. Selectors are all over the shop. But this far this summer they have come out on top so they are getting the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe - but not massively

He played the one day cup (Maxie missed with National duties) and went pretty well, and he’s been OK without being great for the first half of Shield.
Apparently been pretty good in the T20 stuff.

You could make a pretty reasonable case that he’s earnt his shot, I’m just not really seeing why you bring back a 34yo for a pretty meaningless series like this. He’s not going to be in the next ODI WC.

1 Like

Has always been his issue. He’s been put up thon order, and been a lot more disciplined in Shield this year. Arguably his most impressive innings was the 45*, batted about 1.5 sessions for that, slow going, wickets falling everywhere. Saved the draw. Don’t think he would’ve done that 2-3 years ago.

FWIW he reportedly has absolutely no idea what the coaches and selectors want from him now. They asked him to bat more maturely, now he’s too conservative. Australian cricket and the seectors have a serious communication problem, at the very least.

3 Likes

Comparing White as a fielder to Maxwell.
Uh huh.

2 Likes

you’re looking at the wrong year’s results.

SMarsh was the leading scorer this year over Maddinson and Khawaja.

White 199 @ 49: not bad, but a fair way from the top of the runs.

Pretty clearly there is a major issue between Smith and Maxwell and his non selection is going to further that discussion. I’m not sure there’s a short-term return to the Australian team except in the T20 arena. It’s going to be pretty frosty between the two.

Bring back Australia A.

3 Likes

Still got my Australia A top…

1 Like