Cricket Part II

It’s an interesting interesting article. Unnamed sources and there aren’t any quotes from people close to the negotiation process. I don’t know much about the author so don’t know what to make of it. I might file it under the ‘don’t believe everything I read on the internet’ until I see a bit more substance.

If true, what a turd of an organisation CA are.

5 Likes

Sounds like the dealings they had with the players.

2 Likes

Don’t care what’s right or wrong but there needs to be changes made at the top at Cricket Australia. The fact all these stories keep coming up shows it’s time for a change in leadership in the administration.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the article. Very interesting read. So the only FTA matches this coming summer will be the tests?

I have Foxtel so don’t really mind. But if that article is correct and only 30% of people in Australia, CA is taking a massive massive gamble. If kids can’t watch something, they will move on to something else. Could end up losing a nearly a whole generation of kids to cricket. Especially the limited overs stuff which kids love.

The main sports should always be on Free To Air. I still think it’s a joke the A League isn’t on FTA.

1 Like

My take is that it will be like the Fox Footy deal. Basically all games will be on Foxtel with most on Channel 7. I thought I had seen that all tests, ODIs and T20 internationals will be on 7 - mainly because of the anti-syphoning laws which is touched on in the article. With the Big Bash 7 will show the same number of games that 10 showed this year, but because they are extending it to 14 rounds - each team plays every other team home and away - there will be games exclusively on Foxtel.

I may have that wrong, but that was my initial understanding.

1 Like

You got it roughly right, … except no ODI’s on FTA. at all. All on Fuxtel only.

No one’s interested in Sheffield Shield — at least, no one who wants to make money out of Cricket is — and that means the commercial free-to-air networks and Foxtel. Fine.

But what I can’t understand is why the ABC haven’t asked for the rights to broadcast the Sheffield Shield — for free, since no one else wants it. It wouldn’t cost CA anything, in fact they’d gain from the free publicity for the 1st class competition and it just might soften the predominant view of them as money-grubbing arseholes…

4 Likes

Participation rate has gone down in England simce Sky started broadcasting the cricket. I hope the extra few million is worth the gamble CA are taking. I would bet that it won’t be.

2 Likes

I think it’s great that CA wants to help me avoid awkward workplace conversations.

Before:

• Did you see the Big Bash last night?
  • No.
  • Oh, I thought you were really into cricket?
  • Yeah, I am. Just not…
  • You were watching the One Day match the other day. You were talking to me about that not the World Cup tournament…
  • Yeah, I…
  • No-one watches one day matches anymore.
  • I know, but…
  • But you don’t watch T20.
  • No, I just don’t find it interesting at all.
  • Huh. Okay.

Now:

• Did you see the Big Bash last night?
  • Nuh.
  • No, me neither.
5 Likes

Yes 30% is roughly correct

Interesting will be whether the govt steps in now as the deal breaks the anti-siphoning laws, international odi and t20 games are supposed to be available for all to see

1 Like

True however the anti-siphoning law is yet to be changed meaning One Dayers at this stage must be shown on FTA.

Cricket Australia stream the Sheffield shield games online for free. It’s an excellent service.

4 Likes

Lol. I can’t see a liberal government going against Rupert’s wishes no matter what the rules are meant to be.

3 Likes

Rumour has it that they were given prior permission to proceed with this as the Gov would allow it.

when CA shat on the ABC and gave the rights to ch 9 back in the '70s, the ABC rightly said that they would not be covering Sheffield Shield any more. Why should they do the work of building up audiences for ch 9?

It’s a shame because younger people now would not appreciate how popular Sheffield Shield was back in those days. You would get to know the best players (literally, First Class) of each State. And when a Test match came around, you really had the feeling of seeing the best of the best playing for the country.

3 Likes

As long as the executives get their bonuses from this deal, they wouldn’t really care less what happens in years to come.

3 Likes

Unofficially, Langer is now coach of the Aussie side. Apparently going to be announced Friday.

I wonder if he will be coach of all formats?

1 Like

I’m sure it is, BD, but I don’t have the bandwidth for streaming services. Ah well…

How would the Brown Nosed Gnome fit in with the new ‘culture’ CA are trying to implement, given that he’s already been coaching the Australian set-up recently when Lehman has had a break?

1 Like