Cricket Part II

New coach same issue for Maxwell.

Anyway here is the team:
Tim Paine ©, Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Michael Neser, Matt Renshaw, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc.

Doggett is a tall fast bowler.

5 Qld’ers in the side.

Indigenous blood. Had a big year last season.

1 Like

Maxwell clearly has his card marked as never to play again. It’s disgraceful really that because he doesn’t fit the mould he misses out. His shield record last year combined with making a century in India had to make him one of the first picked in this squad.

1 Like

True, it’s a absolute disgrace.

Joe Burns also very harshly done by, was very stiff to get dropped in the first place couple of years ago. Seriously will get pumped in this series

1 Like

Tim Paine has to be the luckiest player in living memory. Shouldn’t be in the team let alone captain.

Marnus Labuschagne didn’t realise he was in contention. Maybe we’re going down the route of the English and hoping for the saffas to contribute to our batting line up.

2 Likes

Amazed that Maxwell wasn’t selected by Australia. One of the best players of spin in the country and he doesn’t get picked. Must of really ticked someone off at some point along the line

Aaron finch in tests? Does he even play shield cricket?

The one thing that Langer expects, is friggin’ hard hard work. That is one thing that continues to dog Maxwell, he doesn’t work hard enough.

I don’t know if that is true or not but that is always what is talked about.

1 Like

Maxwell should just join the T20 circuit, he’s had his run, time to cash in

Sadly I agree, they won’t use him anymore for tests.

1 Like

Maxwell should be near enough to a lock whenever we tour the sub-continent, and especially now given we have no Warner or Smith. That batting line-up is the worst in living memory for me. I know we were ■■■■ in the mid-80s but at least we had Border. Who’s the best bat in that lot? Khawaja probably has the best record, but he’s a lion at home and a lamb away. I don’t trust the Marsh brothers any further than I could throw them. Renshaw has promise. Big opportunity for Aaron Finch. He’s been on fire for Surrey in the T20s but only played 2 County Championship games, so is that really cause for a Test call-up? It makes Maxwell’s omission look more puzzling…

1 Like

We’re pretty clearly tanking for picks.

1 Like

Finch is a hard worker and is respected, Maxwell is a pratt who isn’t as hard a worker.

I agree it is wrong but I suspect that is why. I think it weakens us.

That said I like Finch and hope it works.

Herald-Sun reporting Finch will open. I know he opens in the white ball stuff but he’s definitely not a Test opener IMO. Would be better off coming in at 5 or 6.

I expect that this is happening because they see him as similar to Warner. A hard hitter who can take the innings away in a good session.

1 Like

Man I miss the days of Hayden and Langer.

2 Likes

Warner and Rogers were a pretty decent combination.

They’re playing Pakistan in the UAE. Rare to see bats win games there, let alone through quick scoring. The unpredictable bounce invariably leads to slow, hard graft against spin from both ends.

Oh well. Saves the Vics the awkward conversation when they have to drop him again.

2 Likes

Confidence is huge for spinners. If the bats believe that ball might do something unexpected, they’ll treat it totally differently than if they think they’ve got you covered.

So our batting order is going to be bookended by 2 players who can barely make the 1st XI in their state teams? Who will also likely be Capt and VC.

1 Like

India look like they could chase this down