Cricket Part II

Fixed

2 Likes

His record at the Southampton ground is insane, averages 10 wickets there or something insane like that. Plus he had a big amount of rough to aim for

I just canā€™t comprehend it, and canā€™t reconcile that record with how heā€™s generally played against Australia (both home and away). On what Iā€™ve seen heā€™s probably the closest approximation to a park cricketer I can remember. A propensity for being owned when batting (that innings last summer at the MCG, where he tried to slog his way through, was pure mental disintegration), and (at least one) four-ball offered up every over just doesnā€™t marry up with the idea of him being a destroyer. Weirdā€¦

At home, he did pretty well in the last Ashes. Away he was beyond terrible

The problem is, he isnā€™t and will never be a front line spinner. Yet that is how they have used him. In limited overs he is very good at keeping the RR down and picking up a couple of wickets. He doesnā€™t have nearly enough tricks to be a test match spinner

His batting is very hit or miss, he is more suited to batting at maybe 7 when the ball has gone soft. Yet over the years he has batted every position from 1-8

His other issue is, English pitches arenā€™t suited for spin bowling- so he doesnā€™t have much of a chance to really hone his craft that much apart from in actual matches

This was Indiaā€™s best chance to win on English soil given they finally have some decent pacemen and England have several issues with their batting, yet aside from Kohli their batsmen let them down. Ashwin bowled very poorly in the 2nd innings, too flat, too quick, too short. Youā€™d have though he was the part-time offie and not Moeen. On dry and dusty wickets he can be a handful. Out here he may as well not tour. He will never get conditions to suit him and the Aussies always target opposition spinners.

1 Like

Is Alistair Cook about to announce his retirement? Thatā€™s the rumour.

Rumour confirmed

Glad he has made the right call. Been an outstanding player for a long time, but time catches up with everyone

One thing I loved about Cook was when he would get a ton, you could almost guarantee he would really go on with it

His performance in the ashes that we won in Australia was absolutely amazing.

Thanks for everything Cook

4 Likes

Poms win the toss at The Oval and bat. 0/13

Jadeja in for Ashwin and Vihari for Pandya.

I really appreciate the English style of commentary, they only talk when there is something to say.

4 Likes

Would be good to see Cook get a ton. Flat pitch and dead rubber, has the odds in his favour

Not a fan at all of Ali batting at 3. Much better coming in down the order. Against pace on bounce pitches he will be cannon fodder

Shami beating the bat about 3 times every over. Hard to believe no one can get an edge

Problem is they have no other options. Have a multitude of 5-8 and world class at that but nothing otherwise

Cook!! Well done!!

Gets a ton in his final game. Fitting way to end to a fantastic career

I think he is the only guy in test history to make a 50 and a ton in both his first ever match and his last ever match

1 Like

Cook brings up his 100 with four overthrows.
Well done to a modest champion

3 Likes

Donā€™t think I have ever seen someone get their ton off overthrows

Congrats Alistair Cook. Absolute champion and honest character if ever there was one. Wish weā€™d had a couple of him over the last few years.
And feast on British balls India.

2 Likes

Siddle is back!

1 Like

Who the ā– ā– ā– ā–  is Brendan Doggett?

1 Like