Cricket Part III

Good point aboods. It’s hard to imagine Lyon or Kwojo as captain.

Maybe this is all to keep the BCCI happy. Money talks.
Nothing better than to keep the crowd at home happy than a win over the “nasty” Aussies.
We had our 15-20 years near the top, just like the Windies did- maybe its ordained that we now have to spend a bit of time as also rans. Certainly makes for a good story when we finally do come good.

Nah, it’s probably just because we aren’t that good!

So Hohns declared that Coulter-Nile was out of the ODI side due to the advice of medical staff after experiencing back pain. Yet Coulter-Nile has said that he had general back soreness and hadn’t had any scans at that point. He had them after he was dumped and they came up all clear with no concerns whatsoever.

That’s pretty ■■■■-poor by the selectors.

Also Cowan is spot on:

Former Test opener Ed Cowan says there needs to be an overhaul to Australian cricket’s national selection panel, with more current or recently retired players involved in the process.

Key points:

• Ed Cowan says Australia should model its national cricket selection panel on England’s, using out-of-contention players
  • Cowan says the likes of George Bailey and Cameron White should be on the selection panel
  • Comes as Nathan Coulter-Nile questions his omission from Australia’s ODI side in a World Cup year

Australia’s current selection panel consists of Trevor Hohns, national coach Justin Langer, and former Australian captain Greg Chappell.

Speaking on ABC Grandstand on day four of the fourth Test against India, Cowan said he wanted to see something similar to England’s selection panel, which appointed recently retired batsman James Taylor as a selector last July.

“I hope there is an overhaul,” Cowan said.

"They [England] have a chief selector and one other off-sider of which is James Taylor — a recently retired player who knows each and every player in the county system inside and out.

"Their mental ability, their technical ability, their skills, what they bring into teams. At the moment, we’re almost two generations past that.

“The demands of the game are changing, and at the moment I think we’ve got selectors with agendas.”

Former Australian Test opener Ed Cowan at Old Trafford, England, in 2013|340x453 PHOTO: Ed Cowan played the last of his 18 Tests during the 2013 Ashes tour. (Action Images: Jason Cairnduff )

Cowan believes Australia cricket would benefit from having players not in selection contention as part of the panel.

“Cameron White should be a national selector. I said that to [former high performance coach] Pat Howard last year,” he said.

"George Bailey should be a national selector. Or one of those two, who are not going to play international cricket again, but they have their finger so close to the pulse.

"They’re on the field the whole time, they’re seeing things and they’re smart enough and they’re interested enough to not have the natural bias towards people in their team.

“I think we miss a trick by appointing two people well and truly out of the game.”

4 Likes

Ed’s idea is one of the more stupid idea’s put forward this summer. Well done Ed on demonstrating that very expensive education has done little to remove the idiot gene.

Current players as selectors… oh my hat…

1 Like

His point is still valid, get a player recently retired and use them, stop using old guys from the old school setup. I agree not using someone still playing.

3 Likes

No selector, young or old, is gonna have a better time selecting blokes that don’t exist. Our batting problems are lot worse than the blokes selecting them.

Except for Wade, Maxwell, Burns, etc

A recently retired player is more likely to pick those guys than some of the selectors we have had recently who have personal issues with those players.

5 Likes

I’m not sure Bailey or White the right choice but I’d agree needs to be someone whose been involved more recently at the top level in particular tests.

Ponting perhaps.

Chappell & Hohns just seem out of touch

4 Likes

What most interests me about this post is the way in which the 3 guys you’ve mentioned have become demonstrably better players since they got dropped. Like all of a sudden they’re world beaters when they were dropped in the 1st place because they have significant deficiencies in their game. Wade has been the in for batsman in the country for the 1st half of the Shield season for sure, but do you remember how utterly woeful his batting had become when he was dropped? Do you remember how bad he was last shield season? Burns is top 5 runs scorer for the shield season so far and hasn’t hit a shield hundred. Maxwell’s form has been average this season. I think you’re over inflating what these guys are capable of in your mind owing to how bad the incumbents have been.

There’s not enough money in the world to get Ponting to take that absolute poisoned chalice of a job. He’s nowhere near that stupid. He’ll coach the side one day, but no chance he’ll ever be a selector.

Wade: overall avg 43 current avg 2018 63 How he has been in past should have no bearing on whether he is good atm. Using the past as reason for not picking him nowe means that no player should ever be picked if that have a bad past.

Maxwell is averaging 42 this season, not sure why you think that isn’t good enough? Certainly better than MMarsh who was picked ahead of him (37).

Burns is averaging 47 which is better than Head who is on 33.

You want to come in here and act all tough by abusing Cowen then make a post that is wrong feel free, but you are no better than Hohns at picking players for the Aussie team.

The bottom line is, you pick players who are in form currently, not based on the past, not what they were when they were dropped, but what they are doing right now. All three offer the more than the current incumbents, regardless of the past.

4 Likes

I’m not saying the blokes in the side haven’t been garbage, just that I don’t have any faith that anyone who’■■■■■ a purple patch of decent form in the Sheffield Shield is going to do better in the significant step up that is Test cricket. All of the guys you have mentioned have had significant flaws of technique or temperament exposed at test level and a good 5 games in shield cricket is nowhere near enough for me to all of a sudden think those things have been fixed.

And as to Ed’s stupid idea. There’s no colouring it any other way. Employing current players as selectors is ■■■■■■■ stupid. Recently retired players are not current players.

No one is suggesting that, we are talking about selections and how they have been going. You pick your best players and you don’t exclude them because you don’t like them. All three mentioned are not liked by the selectors, they are considered outsiders while good blokes like SMarsh and MMarsh keep getting picked despite consistently failing. At least give those guys a chance to fail before throwing them on the scrap heap. Also don’t say that others are not bashing down the door while you keep picking up a player who is doing even worse.

No one thinks that anyone at FC level is going to come in and save us. But the selection policies currently operating in test cricket are not going to help that cause.

Even if you think it is stupid why bother going with personal abuse of a guy you don’t know? Does it make you feel better? If you don’t like then say so but also add why you think it won’t work don’t just abuse the person saying it.

That sort of virtue signalling could get you a job at Cricket Australia.

■■■■ G Chappell, off for a start.

Sacked from australia after undermining K Hughes in the 80s. A year later the side wins their first Ashes series in a decade.

Sacked from South Australia after failing to win anything with Blewett/Lehmann/Siddons.

Picked as a selector again in 2010 - banned from the locker room, then sacked in 2011 (and reportedly part of the Clarke/Katich bustup).
Sacked from India after whiteanting Ganguly, installing dravid, and the side not progressing out of the group in the WC.
Sacked from Pakistan.
Pattern, anyone?

Every time he’s working as a coach or selector he feels the need to stamp himself, often by sacking the captain. He thrives on the acrimony.

he gets another guernsey starting Nov 2016. The rest writes itself.

14 Likes

Well I would suggest you have no idea what that means. Also maybe focus on adding something of value.

Like current players as selectors?

Say why you think that would not work, add your reasons why not just abuse Cowan.

2 Likes

You don’t think a current player is going to have their own vested interests in who they pick? You don’t think there’s a risk they might just select the guys they play with and like if for no other reason than they see them every day? You seriously can’t see the truck load of issues you potentially create with a current player (even if not playing international cricket) selecting from his contemporaries to play for the country?