Cricket Part III

Shield games monday. 4 sessions a day, max 4 days.
Big bash Saturday arvo and nights.

2-3 weeks of holiday from Shield over xmas/new years, do games every night as a sort of carnival.

Problem solved.

Don’t reckon you need to worry about getting shield on in prime time.

Starc and hazelwood have been ■■■■ the last year. Who are the best shield pace bowlers?

Boland, Tremain, Jhye Richardson and Jackson Bird.
Altho I don’t think you’d get much out of playing Bird alongside Hazlewood, very similar deliveries.

Ashes

Harris
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Warner
Carey
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

1 Like

Leg and off stumps ok?

2 Likes

It’s hard to think of anything more meaningless, boring, and a waste of time than T20 cricket.

It’s only purpose is to provide cheap TV time over the summer for TV networks.

They can’t change the bbl schedule. It’s locked on for 5 years for maximum profit.

All you blokes leaving Paine out… who is going to be your captain? Smith isn’t eligible for another 12 months after he returns.

No-one else deserves it. I’m not saying Paine does, but there is just no way they’ll drop him.
Too many other gaps to fill first

5 Likes

How about people complaining about it?

3 Likes

Presumably Adrien Brody from The Pianist is batting.

Hazlewood.

Nah, just play players that are in form. And if they fail, they don’t get the Marsh treatment.

Its also worth noting that Carey’s 1st class average isn’t exactly that great either

1 Like

I’d be interested to truly understand the thinking behind our obsession with all rounders. The reality is that there have been very few successful genuine all rounders in recent history. What’s more it’s even rarer to see an all rounder who’s just a good player at test level. Virtually everyone who makes a career as a test all rounder is an exceptional cricketer. Think Dev, Kallis, Botham, Kahn, Hadlee, Flintoff.
I struggle to think of a genuine all rounder who made a good career out of test cricket but didn’t end up being a genuine great. Maybe Watto, but by the time he became a fixture in tests, he really didn’t bowl much. So the reality is that the search for a successful all rounder is likely to be fruitless. The fact it’s being done at a time when our playing stocks are thin, means we might as Well go looking for a friggin unicorn to bat a 6 and roll the arm over.

I wonder if one of the things that influences the line of thinking here is the seeming lack of any ability among our top order to bowl passable medium pace or spin. Again over the years we’ve had a lot of guys going through the test side who could either respectably hold up an end or had a canny knack of taking a wicket when nothing was doing. We don’t now.

3 Likes

Something that’s also missing is some batsmen’s ability to bowl. Think Lehman, Clarke, M Waugh, not all rounders but able to throw down a few or as a surprise tactic (how Clarke used Hussey towards the end)

2 Likes

Didn’t watch the kiwis vs Sri Lanka but Perera with 140 off 74 balls must have been amazing in a losing team.

1 Like

Also worth noting Carey is at the beginning of his career and improving all the time. Paine is not.

1 Like

He is a 27 year old, with nearly 60 FC games behind him and averages less that 30. Give him 12 months to focus on the Long form, whilst Smith stays in the naughty corner.

Let him finish off this shield season then encourage him to play County cricket and by the end of the next shield season he might be ready. I wouldn’t select him for the ODIs either, I want him focusing on batting for tests

The last thing we need is to rush in another promising but underdeveloped player who hasn’t been made to earn it.

1 Like

Yeah however he isn’t exactly knocking down the door as yet. 53 innings averaging 29.43 with only 2 100’s. He will be good at some point but at 27 he still has a way to go. He has started this SS well though and is averaging 75 after 2 matches.

A promising young opening prospect is Josh Philippe for WA. He is only 21 and barely played but he looks like he has something to work with. Hopefully over the next couple fo seasons he builds something decent.

When (if) the rain stops and the clouds clear.

Fark Sydney. More rain days and twice the amount of rain per year than Melbourne.

2 Likes