Cricket Part III

You need to click on a Match.
That brings up the page with the Partnerships link.

Ah … so not on the linked page.

Woodford Reserve thanks.

smug expression
2 Likes

ummm, no. It’s on the match specific page, as per my original post.

bemused expression

Wull…and I’m just throwing this out there…why didn’t you link to that?

Edit: Oh, right!!!(?)
I click on a match and that will show the individual partnerships for that Test?

Yeah to the nah.

What Doofus said.

sheepish

One thing that struck me during the commentary was the analysis of Starc’s bowling action, and more particularly, grip, was how he wasn’t bowling with his thumb (or was it index finger) directly down the seam, and how that would mean that he couldn’t swing the ball…at all.

Also meant that he was bowling cross-seam which meant that the ball landed funnily, and therefore no-one could maintain the required shine for swing, either conventional or reverse.

I was wondering how long this had been going on, and whether this prompted the case of Warner being the ball-shiner, and by extension, caused the more drastic measure of Bancroft stuffing the Ryobi Cordless Angle Grinder down his jocks.

In any case, I’d be dropping Starc, and considering both Worrall and Jhye Richardson for promotion. Maybe Tremain too. Cummins is the only safe one for me. And no ■■■■■■■ Siddle.

Worrall being a swing bowler (suitable for England) and Richardson a shortish Malcolm Marshall type, provide genuine points of difference. And Richardson has had a very good year with the bat too. He ain’t no #10 or #11.

2 Likes

I agree with dropping Starc and would include Hazelwood while we are at it. Worrall seems a good selection, and I don’t mind Tremain but haven’t seen enough of Richardson. Name spelling is questionable.

Cummins and Lyon are the first selected in the team, and then sadly Paine. The other 8 spots you can raffle, although I like Harris.

1 Like

I must admit I’ve lost all faith in Siddle.
At his best he was the…weirdly NSW footballer-like…stocky, dependable, slam it into the pitch for fifteen overs per spell typical Victorian bowler.
That was his gig.
I don’t feel like he has that anymore, so what’s the attraction?

As to five bowlers, I have no problem with that if three of them are averaging 20 with the bat.

Any argument against that seems to be a whole lot of yeah, but…
But what?

When your top 5 are also averaging 20 (or in Marsh’s case, less) then nah.

1 Like

Nope, sorry.
That’s an argument For adding another strike bowler.
They bat as well as #6 anyway.

I can’t argue with that logic.

Also, a bit out of left field but anyway, I really feel like Hazlewood could be a valuable tail-end bat instead of a genuine #10 or #11 if someone took the time to tell him which balls to belt the cover off and which ones to block.

you mean, like, a batting coach perhaps? don’t be so silly wimm.

I was watching that as well.

His thumb, he is holding it on an angle on the base of the ball and isn’t holding the seam properly either so the ball isn’t coming out seam upright but rather scrambled. He isn’t holding his wrist correctly as well. They really went quite thoroughly into it. They showed him verses Cummins and it was markedly different. They didn’t say how long it has been but they suspect for the last year as he suddenly stopped swinging the ball.

Our 3 quicks are all coming back from injury in a dysfunctional environment against the best batting team. People forget really quickly how good Starc was only 12 months ago.

He needs more bowling and deserves another chance against SL.

Unfortunately I think they want S.Marsh in for England. He shouldn’t be picked, really they should’ve binned him off after the UAE Tour if they were serious about dropping out of form blokes, blokes who are past it and are blatantly not good enough, of which he fits into every category. Over 40% of his Test innings have been single figure scores. This whole “if he gets past 10 he averages 60” talk needs to stop. I’m not picking anyone who produces tail end batting output over 40% of the time. Harris is minimum on the plane to England. If he gets some big scores against SL then I can’t see him being displaced at the top of the order. It will be Warner and Harris with Khawaja 3, Smith 4, S.Marsh 5 and 6 is an open spot. If they go with a pure bat or an all-round option remains to be seen…

1 Like

I’m not sure thumb position is all that important, all the force is coming from the fingers, in behind.
I bowl with my thumb going about 30deg across the seam. And I get heaps of swing, albeit early.

IMO the issue is he’s crossing the seam, more often than not.

I’ve never seen a bloke scramble the seam as much as he does, especially considering how straight the indian’s were.

Mitch Johnson did it, and overdid it at times.

It’s a valid option to try at some point, but it’s out of hand.

I disagree. Give him the ■■■■ and force him to re-assess. He’ll spit the dummy…essentially because I think Warnie is on the money about him.

1 Like