Cricket Part III

If there is one bloke in world cricket I wouldn’t agitate it would be Kohli. They definitely lit the fuse

1 Like

Lol.
We were terrible.
We have to make an extra 30-40 runs to make up for our terrible fielding.
Our field placement was…I’m torn for a description here. Can something be so timid as to actually be bold?
Our openers can’t drive.
The captain has chosen to attempt to drive the two balls that were on the stumps in both his innings, and missed them both.
We don’t have a death bowler, but…that doesn’t really matter because we don’t have the fielders to back one up anyway.
We play the most natural one day batsman we have at 7, and a guy who (without wanting to be too critical of his long game) isn’t a one day batsman at all in his position.
Too many of our batsmen don’t know how to play themselves in with safe as houses angled bat shots, slamming the ball into the inside fieldsmen for their first two overs.
We gave our cheapest bowler four overs, and our next cheapest nine.
Also, Siddle, because I don’t know why.

We are a loooong way off anything like a competitive ODI team, and while Smith and Warner will add a few more runs to our score, they won’t address so many of our other issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t even mad.
I’d get mad at a couple of little things that we didn’t do, things that if they were tweaked could have given us the win, but there’s no point getting mad at that.

2 Likes

We won the first match and only lost the second one in the last over and you don’t think that is competitive?

We were never in the 2nd game mate. India cruised to that total with relative ease, they paced their chase exactly to the target and would’ve chased another 20-30 runs with relative comfort had they needed to.

The 1st game, we got a lucky howler of an LBW fall our way that was the difference in the end. Dhoni has a review and we probably lose that match as well.

We aren’t getting enough runs and don’t have the plans to get wickets during the middle overs.

End the Lyon experiment now. He’s not an ODI bowler. We need spinners who can take wickets in the middle overs. Get Zampa back in I guess and maybe Swepson. Support from Maxwell.

1 Like

Then we disagree, if our bowling had been slightly better and the fielding not been the worst I have seen (Handscomb aside) we would have pushed them to the brink. I agree we needed a few runs more and Maxwell getting out too early cost us along with our openers failing again.

We were competitive, just not enough to get the job done.

And it is getting boring listening to people excuse away our wins as luck and bad umpiring almost every time we win. We won that game by taking wickets and bowling quite well, sometimes bad umpiring works for you and sometimes against you but that happens every single match.

Our total was competitive, however we can’t take wickets in the middle overs and subsequently India did it with ease. Had Dhoni not been triggered on a shocking LBW (or had a review to use) we wouldn’t have won the 1st game either.

When you’ve won 3 of your last 15 games, it’s not a stretch to think luck is playing a part in those wins…

2 Likes

That is utter bullshyte, you have zero idea what would have happened. He might have gone out the very next ball. We won by 30 runs, that is not a small margin but a solid victory, marking it as luck is pretty pathetic as an approach.

I have no issue with saying the Aussies have some concerns, they are obvious and they need some work. But to say they haven’t been competitive when they won their first game and the second one was close is just sour grapes.

No mate, it’s reality. Look at his record chasing down totals. You think that just happens by luck? They’re ■■■■■■■ good at it. They do it all the time. Till that point he’d taken no risks and had the game well in hand. In fact they were in the exact same position as we were at the same time of our innings. They were cruising.

Fast forward to match two and you see EXACTLY what would’ve happened in game one had he not been triggered.

But feel free to live in your fairyland and deny how far off it we still are.

You lot said the same thing before the last world cup and we won the thing, so excuse me if I don’t get all misty eyed over the demise of Australia.

We have work to do but we are not that far off it. HAP carries on about me having a crystal ball, it seems yours is larger if you can state with conviction that if Dhoni wasn’t out he would never have got out again.

Look up the score card, Dhoni was out, Australia won by 30 runs.

2 Likes

“You lot”

Not me, wasn’t on this forum at the last world cup but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. But that aside we were always raging hot favourites for the last world cup because it was on our home soil and we were one of the best ODI sides in the world… Since then the game has gone past us at a rate of knots.

Some of us knew for the last world cup that we were just tinkering with the line up and game plan leading into it, so we were fine. We were also in decent form in the test arena and had a decent enough run to see we still had the calibre of players.

This time around, we have Maxwell out of position, Starc horribly out of form, to go with no Warner, Clarke, Smith and Watson and replaced with Carey, Marsh, Stoinis, handscomb. That is a significant change. From 2015 to 2019, our ODI team has gotten much worse when alot of other nations have gotten better.

1 Like

We were never in yesterday’s game and I think we have the ability to post half decent scores in our backyard but I have serious doubts we can post a decent score in England. The fielding is diabolical and the captaincy is poor. We gave them probably 20-30 extra runs in the field and that was from tardy fielding let alone the poor field placements and bowling changes.
Outside of Maxwell and perhaps Handscomb we are slow as sloths in the field and the Indians continually turned 1’s into 2’s because of it

3 Likes

Dhoni has to rank with Bevan as one of the best finishers in ODI history. He is on his last legs but still a weapon.

3 Likes

I’m miffed because I think there’s a lot more talent around Aus cricket, particularly for ODIs, than this current XI is showing.

Previously, I’ve always been confident we would click it into gear for the big tournament. I don’t have much faith we can do the same here, almost entirely because I don’t have any faith in Langer’s judgement.

But we will see. 2 first string bats and 3 bowlers out does make a difference.
IMO India really should trounce this team, and haven’t. So that’s something.

Need to bare in mind our first choice pace attack isn’t playing as well.

India are a very very competent unit so to be up against 2nd stringers harder to take wickets

Aren’t India playing their second string attack aswell?

1 Like

Resting Bumrah. I think they are trying to nail down that 4th seamer spot to take to the WC. Shami and B Kumar are shoo-ins you’d reckon.

They’re missing Bumrah and Pandya. They’re still trying to nail down their 3rd and 4th seamers and one more batsman.

our first string attack has not been too threatening this summer except for cummins. so i wouldn’t have any faith in starc and hazelwood turning it around.

1 Like