Cricket Part III

Not above waist height, even with the batsman partially leaned over playing a shot. Well below, if he was standing upright.

Not that I should be debating the rules with an umpire but is It a no ball if a spinner bowls a full toss above waist height?

Very marginal call in that diagram. His raised backfoot would be offsetting any lean he has into the ball.

No.

Our association changed the rules this year so that all deliveries above waist height on the full are no balls regardless of the pace

3 Likes

His back foot’s like that because he’s come forward, not because he’s jumping.

I’d never call that (purely on height).

Certainly a no-ball in our comp…no warning though.

That may well be local rules though.

As I said many years ago…what should the penalty for a slow high full-toss? Usually…six runs.

double post. Page reloaded while replying.

If that got called for height, I wouldn’t be saying the umpire got it wrong.

HAP’s on shaky ground if he thinks the batsman was leaning, or bending.

3 Likes

Not sure how you can say he’s not partially leaning into a shot there. Front leg bent, bent at the hip, front leg planted. There’s just no way he’s at his full height. Think about the geometry.

At the very worst, where the batsman is there is at standing height. I’ve always been told waist is taken as the top of the hips, not pant line.

Its the angle of the grass beside the pitch that makes him look standing when he’s bent and leaning. He’s actually way taller than that.

3 Likes

Ellyse Perry has scored her maiden ODI hundred today. What a gun cricket she is, a genuine all rounder who demands a spot with both bat or ball.

4 Likes

After all these years (decades) searching for a genuine world-class all-rounder, who would have thought that it would come in the women’s game and a soccer player no less.

4 Likes

You or I would make a double century against that attack :rofl:

Dropped on 97 which then went for 4. Finished the innings with a full bunger hit up onto the bank.

The lady can play.

Meg Lanning is struggling in this series. She was on 7.30 the other day, with an interview with her coach, Steve Maddocks, who coached my club for a year or two back in the early nineties. Good Bomber fan from the Wimmera. Think it was Horsham, but @wimmera1 might be able to confirm.

Steve used to tell a good story about his first innings for North Melbourne in District Cricket. He reckons when he entered the field, there were 5,000 at the ground. By the time he took guard, there were 200 there. Reason…he was batting straight after Ian Chappell, who played a year or so at Arden St.

2 Likes

Owing to the fact that you’d argue it was below waist high, even if it sailed five feet over his head, I won’t bother continuing, and leave you to your twenty-five more posts on the subject.

2 Likes

Australia do their best to lose to India in a T20 chasing 127. Cummins and Jhye Richardson took 14 off the last over including 2 off the final ball to win.

Best thing was the deafening silence once the game ended. Could have heard a pin drop after the crowd had been going nuts when it looked like India were going to steal it.

3 Likes

Just saw the highlights of the Afghanistan v Ireland T20 from last week. Zazai the Afghan opener made 162no off 62 balls and 140 of his runs came in boundaries ( 16x 6’s, 11x 4’s)

3 Likes

Must have been a bit like the silence in this thread.

Seems John is Irish and lives in Dublin…