Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

What the actual?
Has anyone at CA ever actually watched anyone bowl?

Apparently they’re different to batsmen helmets. Found the article here -

when i played the batsman had so much time there was no way they would hit it back to me.

Did I miss the date? Is it April 1st? Between this and SHocking’s desire to limit the number of tackles the sporting world has gone mad.

Presumably they’ll organise helmets for umpires too…although it’s my ankles that have been in most danger. One of the Aus umpires used a guard, strapped to his arm.

They should just shorten the pitches and use tennis balls.
It will not surprise - at school I used to run away from the cricket ball when fielding.

You just know the English variant of the tennis ball will be half taped though and swing all over the place, whereas ours will be a standard Spalding.

2 Likes

Just use an indoor cricket ball and ditch all protective clothing. New ball every 20 overs, too.

I think this could work. Might be a bit hard to hold the bat!

It would make sense for some bowlers

jpeg

3 Likes

Same in our comp from next season.

I once used an indoor ball outside in moderate wind and had the ball swinging about 4 metres

3 Likes

Exactly! Would go a long way to redress the lopsided bat v ball issue. Shorter boundaries, weaponised bats, lifeless pitches. Why not give the bowlers some assistance?*

*may not be serious

You must be related to Bob Massie. We need you in the 1st test. Bowl around the wicket and start the ball 3 metres outside leg. They will fold like a cheap suit.

Or Terry Aldermann, the Sultan of Swing

Even John Howard could swing an indoor ball, although he usually prefers the short pitched stuff.

1 Like

Just out of interest (well, someone had to ask), how does a cheap suit fold?

Easily