Cyril Rioli - why he left Hawks

Considering you have little to zero insight about what Shannyn Rioli is alluding to with her comments, I’m not sure how you can state that you’re sure she doesn’t understand anything

3 Likes

A club president should know better than to comment on a young woman’s appearance. It also insinuates that he didn’t think she was dressed up to standard.

7 Likes

It is very easy for white people to say that it was just a lame joke and that Mrs Rioli should just suck it up.

None of us can feel or think for some-one else, and just perhaps this is just one joke too many for her and obviously Cyril felt the same.

Until I saw first hand how my Daughter-In-Law was treated by white Australia, I would have also said, it is a joke and move on, but the incessant jokes, name calling, prejudice and all the rest does add up. As k Michael Long about the treatment he got from his team-mates at times, until he and some others made their feeling well-known

12 Likes

Now that someone has posted it I can see that it was written by SWSNBN, it makes sense that it was poorly written and confusing.

22 Likes

I actually was not going to post it as it was from the Witch, but even poorly written, it is an important story to hear.

We have nearly all seen, made and heard casual racist jibes over the years, and while today it is much improved, it is still lesson to be learned.

Cyril Rioli was a huge loss to footy, and Kennett needs to accept his role.

6 Likes

Exactly if your getting worked up or taking a side from an article written by her, I’d be thinking harder about it.

Best to ignore her and the axes she grinds.

1 Like

Oh for sure, it is just a shame it was her.

She only did it for the chance at a hit piece for another club other than her beloved Tigers.

This is written by Caroline Wilson btw, who commented on Luke Beveridge’s moustache a week or so ago, and how it is an example of how he is losing his mind.

13 Likes

Boong comment - not great and seemingly not dealt with

Jeans comment - harmless joke

5 Likes

Who also isn’t the one commenting on the court case of Zantuck against her Beloved Club who can do no wrong.

3 Likes

I am not getting worked or taking any sides. I listen to what @benfti says on these matters, and look to my indiginous family.

My only take on the whole matter is that we need to think before we speak sometimes, and you cannot judge how someone may react by your own feelings.

Cyril Rioli like all Rioli’s are great for footy, fantastic to watch, and we have never seen any of them play enough games
Their legacy to our game should never be forgotten.

Michael Long, Benny Vigona, and current AFL Women’s player Danielle Ponter are also related to the Rioli family by marriage.[8][9]

6 Likes

The idea is that the joke came after culmination of other incidents at the club.

3 Likes

And I think she already felt that she was being treated like trash by people at the club.

Good on them for getting out of a toxic culture and calling it out.

Pity it has to come from you know who. But we know she’s a muckraker

13 Likes

None of this is really new, though.
It’s no secret that Rioli’s not in contact with Hawthorn, and he puts it down to Kennett.

1 Like

The timing is… interesting.
We know what Kennett’s like. He’s pretty open about all of his views.

But why now, years after the fact? What’s Kennett done recently to ■■■■ SWMNBN off?

1 Like

There is another article where Zantuck is suing Richmond. SWSNBN wants to deflect attention.

3 Likes

That’s it.

There’s a difference between “wokenism” and just being “triggered”.

Both stupid words but now accepted parlance sadly.

Just imagine the setting - Kennett, who just drips of everything that white entitlement stands for, offers a black girl loose change to up her appearance so it’s more in line with his standards.

I’m sure he meant it as a joke, but if he thought about it, he’d assess the situation and just not do it.

So it’s on him, and if she felt offended and the apology didn’t show he truely understood how he offended her then ■■■■ Kennett and ■■■■ Hawthorn.

12 Likes

Kennett wrote: “I would never, and have never intentionally or unintentionally been disrespectful to a member of the First Peoples community.”

When this is the mindset of the person doing the offending, it’s going to be a long way to actually understanding

3 Likes

“The Rioli’s left the club, because they thought Kennett was a c*nt.”

That’s really the whole story, the specifics don’t really matter.

And it’s a believable story.

23 Likes

The bloke who is proud of his Golliwog collection in his office has never intentionally or unintentionally been disrespectful to a member of the First Peoples community.

18 Likes