Cyril Rioli - why he left Hawks

I’m genuinely shocked that as late as 2013, the explicitly racist term “boong” was even used , let alone inside an organisation with Indigenous people not just working there, but actually present when said.

I’m clearly naive. People really are still disgusting.

25 Likes

be very interested to see how many of those lives kennett ruined still vote lib.

I had a chat to my pharmacist about that one day.

“Ohhh they aren’t hurting anybody, they looks so cute…”

Oh god, here we go.

4 Likes

“I’m very sorry that my comments offended you.”

Great apology, ■■■■■■■■.

3 Likes

That’s the mentality though isn’t it - it’s like trying to get a kid to understand what they did wrong in amongst “sorry,sorry,sorry” just so they can get telly that night or not cop a bollocking.

It’s the refusal to go and seek, and truely find out how this type of stuff is traumatising as pithy as it might seem.

Walking a mile in someone else’s shoes wouldn’t be enough for Kennett. It’d take 20 years of walks to Canberra with Longy for that peanut to register, and even then in his mind he’d just be nailing it to a late run at Kirribilly.

3 Likes

I have found in the past when you don’t like someone just about everything they do will annoy you. Someone you like will do the same things and it’s not a problem. Sounds to me like the Cyril and his partner has reached that point with Kennett and certain people the club.

10 Likes

Nah, I reckon it is much deeper than that.

Footy Club can be very hard places at times, especially for Wives and Partners.

2 Likes

The other incidents being a teammate calling someones wife a boong and a coach saying all the indigenous players always sit together? The article doesnt explain what else Kennetts done to offend them. The ripped jeans joke is something every other elderly person has said.

This is the issue in a nutshell. Hey Jeff, how would you even know if you have never unintentionally offended or disrespected someone? Kennett you offend me, with your very presence. I find most things about you to be objectionable. I can well believe this story and the issues at the Dawks.

3 Likes

Surprised that word isn’t caught by the profanity filter, considering some of the things it does cover.

2 Likes

I wish that article was better written, because making a pretty standard “dad joke” the primary focus just seems odd.

Obviously there’s a lot here that isn’t/won’t be told regarding JK (for whom I hold nothing but deep-seated loathing).

The other things mentioned in the article are far worse in my opinion.

2 Likes

Kennett could say good morning and he’d still be a massive cockwomble

2 Likes

Kennett has the mindset of a good old British imperialist racist. I bet he’s got a jolly black boy money box at home, too.

4 Likes

Exactly.

But she’s going after Kennett, not some random racist hawks player who’s probably not on their list anymore.

There’s another article up that I haven’t bothered to read, but it appears to be praising the coach Mitchell. I haven’t bothered to check, but I assume he was at the club and probably in the leadership group. So it’s possible he’d have known about this stuff, and nothing seemed to change.

3 Likes

It’s obvious like most things about the tone/connotation and how somethings said rather than what.

Nearly any set of words can be made offensive if that’s what your intention is.

And Kennett like many born to rule types have condensing tone built in, and don’t drop it unless your a fellow private school/liberal type or certain business type.

Because I’m assuming many black fellas have been treated like this ever since colonisation, any language in that manner is I would assume taken as racist.

If it makes any blitzers of indigenous descent feel any better, as a whitey whose more catholic/publicly educated from a working class background, I’ve copped it plenty too.

:v:

Hope Cyril and his missus Shannyn make up with the club, because he is a legend of the game and Hawthorn.

1 Like

I wish my grandmother was still alive.

I’m one of those people who wears shorts and flip flops well into winter, and she would always give me ■■■■ about it. She would tell me she would give me money to buy some pants. Always ask me if I knew what month it was.

I would tell her what a ■■■■■ she was, and how she was the perfect example of white entitlement.

3 Likes

You don’t get it, and that is because of your white entitlement

2 Likes

I agree. I hate white people.

They’re always up to something.

1 Like

Sorry, Bacchus, but exactly what is racist about what Kennet said or did?