Cyril Rioli - why he left Hawks

If you don’t get it then an explanation from an old white guy is not going to unfog your white brain.

4 Likes

Okay, so it’s your usual trick of pretending to be superior to disguise the fact that you don’t have an answer.

Just to be clear. I don’t doubt that the lady felt insulted. However there was nothing whatsoever racist in Kennet’s joke. It was lame, but not racist.

3 Likes

Might not be racist to you, but you are not an indigenous woman.

Here is a question for you. You walk into a shop, waiting to be served are a young indigenous girl and an older white woman.

The white guy behind the counter serves the older white woman and she leaves. He turns to serve me, and I tell him that the young lady was before me, he says she can wait.

Is this racist or is he respecting his elders ?

5 Likes

Exactly, it’s a matter of interpretation, without knowing the hypothetical shoppersons intent

So let’s say he was respecting his elders and someone was offended and took it racially, it’s their interpretation that’s the cause of their offence - not what was said

And kennet is a massive flog regardless

3 Likes

That is not the question. There was no question of precedence or anything similar.

it wasn’t racist. it boggles my mind how anyone could take it as racism. it’s a fkn dad joke

kemnedy is a idiot, and fark hawthorm though

5 Likes

It was a trick question, because I knew the answer.

It was an actual event, the indigenous girl was my daughter-in-law.

1 Like

As presented it’s not racist, but if the Rioli family’s reaction is so strong as to declare Cyril wants nothing more to do with the HFC that alone suggests this is not an isolated incident. It’s not hard to imagine racism dressed up as classism, particularly from Jeff.

The article was written by ■■■■, history tells us that there’s significant details omitted.

At present, this is Cyril Rioli’s word against Jeffrey Kennet’s (via Caroline Wilson). I know who I’d believe.

3 Likes

I’m very sorry she was treated that way. It is shameful that that sort of open racism exists in this day and age. A white man in who serves and older white man ahead of an indigenous person or either sex or any age who was ahead of the older man in the line to be served, and who says he’s respecting his elders, is almost certainly lying, because we have no such custom. I say almost because there could be exceptions, eg if the white man were very old and frail and it would be difficult for him if he were kept standing for longer than absolutely necessary, but even then common courtesy would require the white shopkeeper to explain to the indigenous woman why he was doing it and ask if she minded.

But it’s still got nothing to do with Kennet’s unfunny joke.

1 Like

Maybe you need to understand that Cyril and his wife found Kennett to be racist and that should be enough for you?

2 Likes

Sheltd won’t understand. Like they defended their hero Pell.

1 Like

I’m not denying that they found it racist. It’s hard to see how they did, but if they say they did, I believe them.

What I am saying is that it was not objectively racist and that it cannot reasonably be taken as indicating that Jeff Kennett was racially belittling her or that the Hawthorn Football Club was racist.

Certainly racist things did happen to Rioli, but that was not one of them.

3 Likes

I think the comment regarding her appearance is terrible regardless that the joke is old. That just shows Jeff has not grown in 40 years.
When you put the whole thing together,
Derogatory comment on her appearance
Offering a hand out to a first nation person to “fix” it to his percieved acceptable level.

Its bad.

I am biased, I hate Kennetts guts. We have history.

7 Likes

And yet it is something they highlighted as part of their statements about how they were treated at the football club regarding racism.

Because YOU don’t find it racist it therefore isn’t racist according to YOU.

Just as an FYI this article and everything associated with it isn’t about YOU.

4 Likes

Surely you understand that the meaning of almost any interaction between human beings is context dependent?

My Dad regularly chips me about having long hair, i know thats a good natured joke.

If a person with an oposing position to mine in a work matter decided to comment on my appearance in front of stakeholders, it would be well out of order.

2 Likes

you could literally apply that line of thinking to everything you could possibky think of to make a argument

this is PC gone completely mad

4 Likes

How many people in here are gonna miss that it wasn’t just the joke but the extra step of the offering of loose change from his pocket?

Also, instead of centring yourself and saying that you wouldn’t be offended, try asking why someone was. Read Jack Latimore’s (The Age’s Indigenous affairs reporter) follow up piece and try and understand why she felt that way. This isn’t about you.

6 Likes

I probably would have thought that until my son married an indigenous girl and I actually spoke and lived with indigenous people.

2 Likes

I never said it was. The thread is about Jeff Kennett should be blamed for anything he said or did, and the only sensible answer to that question is no.

This thread is about how the riolis perceived their treatment.

3 Likes