Dean Wallis saved by heart surgery

Consuming a lot of saturated fats, like the ones found in fast food and red meat, increases a person’s risk for atherosclerosis, which promotes coronary disease and heart attacks

You’re a good man

You should have a full medical exam every year. Possible to pick up little things that get to be much more serious. 40 is a good time to start.

2 Likes

My father and brother died of sudden heart attacks. I’m 53 and get checked regularly. Usually have the stress test done every 2-3 years. Well worth it if you’ve not had one.

1 Like

William Hurt has died. He was 71, apparently prostate cancer so nothing serious.

( I’m trying to make a point. It is not only hearts that need checking! )

1 Like

agree - 40 is a good time to start. Gets you into the habit of making this a thing in your life. Plus it’s never too early to tweak/improve on lifestyle habits. Proactive vs reactive.

1 Like

Um… what’s your definition of serious?

Generation X hasn’t been kind to it’s icons thus far. I doubt that many of us will live deep into our 80’s like so many of our grandparents have due to lifestyle choices we made early on.

Often very hard to find a good GP. I struggled for years and then went to the Mens Clinic at Epworth for a yearly checkup. Great GP, but he retired and could not click with the guy who replaced him. Last 10 years go to a MyClinic walking distance from home, one good GP all that time from Sri Lanka, cannot pronounce his name but he is very capable. Now we do blood tests every six months and get on top of old age stuff quickly.

But it is hard to find and like a GP.

2 Likes

We are the generation of processed foods. When we thought quick easy meals were good for us.

1 Like

out in regional areas even worse

A lot of these clinics churn through doctors. You find one you’re ok with and the next year they’re gone.

1 Like

We are but there is still time left for many of us to change our ways. :slight_smile:

Yep, really surprised my GP is still here. He bought a house, has two kids at local schools and plays cricket locally

Well l have a milestone birthday in 3 months time and haven’t had a medical check up since l worked in China. Probs time l get one, as there are many aspects of my health that l have never had checked. I haven’t had the flu since 1985 and had only a couple of sniffles since then, going years without missing work due to illness. I am triple vaccinated now, however, l did test positive to Covid 2 months ago, before my booster.

Good speed on your recovery Wally.

The problem here is finding a GP that will actually do it.

Issue with prostate cancer is there is no reliable screen.

Yeah, PSA is an indication only. Better than nothing, but needs to be combined with a “proctologist handshake” for a more accurate picture.

Damn. Wally was the reason I started doing websites way back in 99 when a mate suggested I do one as a joke, then ‘Wally Web’ was born.

4 Likes

More and more doctors are refusing to do PSA’s unless you are over 50. You just need to behave up until then.