Derek Kickett -- re-heating the hot take

I think its a day the EFC would like back. We lost him, and unfortunately Wanganeen within 5 years.

Did he kick the winning goal in the Ess v Melb 47 point last quarter comeback win?

Wnaganeen did in 91 or 92.

Absolutely gutted when he left. My favourite player.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure he played every game in ‘92 and ‘93 only to be dropped for the final. There were plenty of chances to drop him, this wasn’t the right time. Should have played.

1 Like

We were lucky to see Long, Kickett and Wanganeen together, amongst other awesome players we had in the 90’s.

5 Likes

I think he definitely took a mark right on the goal line to save the match for us right at the end of the game

3 Likes

I just watched the end, he actually saved a goal with a mark on the line with a minute or so to go.

5 Likes

So Wanganeen kicked the winner, and Kickett saved the game?

It baffles me to this day how that team produced a result that I can also not recall against a Collingwood with so many spuds.

3 Likes

Went as a work outing to the 1990 regular season match against Collingwood and Kickett carved them up. I was the only Essendon supporter amongst my colleagues which had a few Collingwood supporters. I put on quite a show for them and lost my voice. Great day.

5 Likes

To be fair Dean Wallis’ hit on Mil Hanna more than justified his selection…

2 Likes

Yes. Wangers does a great tackle about 45m out on a 45 degree angle and then slots it beautifully.

1 Like

It’s weird, but i was living in Adelaide, and couldn’t even get radio coverage. I only heard we won after Wanganeen kicked the goal.

1 Like

Good to see these 2 legends finally catch up.

28 Likes

One of my great days at the footy. In the members with 3 Melbourne guys. Giving us three ess guys the works. They kick the first goal of the last q to go up 46 or something and after a further spray one of the demons (close friend still) goes”gee you guys are going to give it to us if you get up from here’. I’m like WTF? As if we could win. Didn’t salmon get 5 in the last? Only a demon supporter could think they’d lose. Shows why they are nervous even when winning!

I reckon he kicked a 60 m barrel goal that day.

2 Likes
12 Likes

favourite one was a mark taken on worsfold, kickett speaks for the essendon fanbase when he says ■■■■ woosha

5 Likes

My favourite player OF ALL TIME. Absolutely brilliant when he was on.

8 Likes