Derek Kickett -- re-heating the hot take

Was my favourite player. He could do everything and often did. Torps on the run, bullet passes, 30m handballs, blind turns, baulks, speccies… you name it!

4 Likes

Peter Sumich and two weeks without a game. That’s how.

We play either of the other teams a week earlier we win.

2 Likes

I have always said that Derek was the most talented footballer I have ever seen. Doesn’t mean he was the best, but by God he had skills.

2 Likes

When he was on he was incredible

10 Likes

If you watch the 93 DVD ‘Bomberblitz’ (nothing to do with this forum site, I think?) every game has a few DK highlights.
A real tragedy his form went AWOL at the very worst time and that he left the club.

2 Likes

Sucks for DK that he missed out on a premiership, but it was hardly an unreasonable call. Some people say he should’ve been dropped sooner, but I think Sheeds gave him every chance to rediscover his form and then made the call that needed to be made.

3 Likes

It was kind of 3 weeks without a game, as Rd 22 was the StKilda game where all 4 Danihers played. Sheedy was experimenting that week, rather than fine tuning for finals.

2 Likes

When was this taken?

I would never have guessed.

3 Likes

I think he kicked two in pretty quick succession - both on the run - to break the game open? Might have been a different game, I recall it as a wet , muddy slog .

My memory is of a dry fine sunny I think day at the g. Went with a pie supporting mate.

Edit- Looked it up on YouTube. Wasn’t sunny but not wet either.

Back in the late 80’s/early 90’s, the MCG could get pretty boggy in winter, so even if the weather was ok on match day, they could still feel like (and be imprinted in our minds as) wet muddy slogs.

I reckon I’m picturing a day at Waverley. Derek unloaded twice on the run in the wet from a long way out.

Thanks for the pleasant reminders.
There’s probably three things I remember most about Kickett;
He was made for & revelled in big moments- to the extent that things like his torpedo against Melbourne was never in doubt
I used to love his spear torpedo passes over 40 metres into the wind too - a bugger to mark - but gee they covered ground quickly
And finally, I had a mate from WA who used to swear blind that the AFL never saw the best of Kickett - his WA days were supposedly even better

2 Likes

From what I understand it was 2018 when they finally caught up. 25 years from the 1993 Grand final.

1 Like

First number on my back was 9 for Kickett. I was gutted when he left but Che followed so it wasn’t all bad.

Kickett had a big game against Footscray in 93. After that his form fell away. I thought Sheedy was right in not playing him in the GF.

Nope. Made the right call dropping him in 1993

Kicked 8 that day, had 7 by HT.

1994 va Carlton. Then had another from about 35 and kicked it out on the full.

Think we kicked 9.9 and they kicked 7.20.

2 Likes