Dexter Finale (Up to date spoilers)

It was terrible. I laughed during the ep, it was that bad.

What a massive let down. Surely there was something better than that to end it with. Talk about jumping the shark.

What a massive let down. Surely there was something better than that to end it with. Talk about jumping the shark.

Nope. It all went exactly to plan according to Scott Buck, same ending he decided upon when he became showrunner at the start of Season 6. No alternate endings were considered according to the exec producer.

Once the original showrunner Clyde Phillips left at the end of season 4, the show never recovered. For what it is worth he's been on Reddit lately and said he'll post what would've been his ending to the show sometime Monday (US).

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/former-dexter-showrunner-agrees-season-crap-thinks-finale-killer/ - A few excerpts from Clyde Phillips answering Q&As about Dexter on Reddit

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexter-interview-series-finale/ - Showrunner Scott Buck & Exec Producer Sara Colleton Discuss the Finale and Defend the Final Season

http://tvline.com/2013/09/22/dexter-series-finale-spoilers-deb-dies-dexter-fakes-death - Exec Producer Sara Colleton Discussing the Finale

Not sure how much of a role it played, but the Showtime head has been pushing for a Dexter spin-off for the past year (which seems to be the big new thing in TV currently - Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul confirmed, Walking Dead spin-off in development), which you'd have to think played at least part of a role in the final scene. Scott Buck's signed a 2 year development deal with Showtime recently so expect him to be showrunner of that if it gets off the ground

TV shows just don't know to end these days. Should have called it quits three seasons ago. Maybe even four.

Is Dexter's new life as a lumberjack going to be the new spinoff show?

Ugh. Everything was terrible. It's one thing to have a sad more depressing end (sister dying, kid being fatherless, everyone at the police force being emotionally crippled by EVEN MORE DEATHS) but it's another to fit that with massive plot holes and absurdness.

It actually pains me to see my most enjoyable show ever from season 4 go this far down hill. I can't work out why they moved from the tried and true tested methods of having one main protagonist, to having many inferior ones with more sideplots. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF HAVING THAT PC-NERD have all that screen-time in sending Dexter all that stuff etc, only to be straight shot in the head in like seconds. ■■■■■■■ waste.

disapointing end.. but its not like the show was scorching them since... well for years.

Not even a half decent twist.. at least Harry coulda walked in or a pile of bodies on the beach washed up in the storm... something...? anything...?

nup thought not.

goes to show how spoilt we've been since walter white made virtually everything else pale into insiginificance.

gonna be a big hole post BB finale ... still Empire B/w seems to have finally found its footing.

He cruises off into the storm, which destroys his boat, but someone he escapes. Why hadn't his ability to teleport been worked into the story line earlier? I mean that would be incredibly convenient during his serial killing days, instant alibi if he could whisk himself out of trouble like that

They asked Buck that:

Have to ask: How did Dex get from his boat to the shore in the middle of a hurricane?
BUCK: Hopefully it‘s not a question that will be examined too closely. The show has always been a half step away from reality; it‘s a hyper-reality. We established there is an emergency life raft with an outboard motor on the boat. He could have gotten in the raft and made it safely to shore.

So there you have it Buggy, hurricane beats boat, but life raft trumps hurricane.

I do agree with you though that there was so many ridiculous logic leaps in the finale even by this season's standards (Hannah will do whatever she can to survive and avoid being caught to the point of poisoning her lover's sister, she's a wanted fugitive, her face is emblazoned on TV, but she'll abandon laying low to rush her lover's child to the emergency room, without bothering to alter her appearance, for a non-life threatening chin gash...because Dexter didn't have steri-strips or Band-aids? And while she's at she better use his real name, because she's a stickler for honesty?).

They wasted too much time with Vogel for too little reward. Bad-Gosling (whom I liked) should have been set up as his ultimate nemesis straight off the bat, and that big detective who got killed should have been on Dexter's case straight away too. They left it too late, like ep 9. Gosling should have been the ultimate, smartest nasty serial killer (we saw a taste of it when he just killed that guy near the car) all season . Like he should have racked up an absolute immense kill count and been outsmarting Dexter until the last ep. He should have then killed Deb in a gruesome way, not a petty gun shot.

The last ep was just hilarious. The last 30 mins in particular was just ■■■■■■■ moronic.

The guy in charge of the show for the first four seasons has weighed in with how he envisaged ending it...

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery."

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there."

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies.  Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/176279-original-dexter-showrunner-explains-the-finale-he-had-in-mind

I liked it, all my friends liked it other than one who thought the lumberjack thing was stupid and he just should have died.

The worst one was as Dunlop (from memory) said where he kills Saxon and is just allowed to walk free, that was ridiculous.

Turning off Deb's life support and wheeling her out is believable amidst the pandemonium but to kidnap the corpse was ridiculous.

Was also pretty stupid how Hannah opted to wear gorgeous dresses with her long blonde locks flowing the entire season instead of the old baseball cap and aviator sunglasses to hide.

No doubt it wasn't as good since season 4. 5 was a shocker but I thought it steadily climbed back up since then. 

All in all I thought the ending was pretty good actually, would have been cooler if you could see blood slide holder in the background of his lumberjack house. Fascinating what Dunlop said about the showrunner, it's a shame that bloke left, imagine how good it would have been the whole time if he stayed.

I don't think it was that bad. But I do think Crazy Bomber's points are very very good. Establishing the enemy late on in the piece really made it lest gripping. I "knew" Ricky Dyson was a bad bad egg but I hadn't seen him until like ep 8 or whatever so I didn't really feel it.

I don't think it was that bad. But I do think Crazy Bomber's points are very very good. Establishing the enemy late on in the piece really made it lest gripping. I "knew" Ricky Dyson was a bad bad egg but I hadn't seen him until like ep 8 or whatever so I didn't really feel it.

How cool was Gosling though? he had the best facial expressions. There was just something so magnetic and scary about him as a character. Like in the hospital when he was searching for Deb and then comes face to face with Dexter. That surprised smile thing he had. The wide eyes.

Yep, awesome. So why the ■■■■ did it take 8 episodes to show us something that we should fear him for?

End of the day it can be boiled down to: "They strayed from the formula." That's why the show dropped.

And was Dexter really trying to charge Gosling, whom had a gun, with a fork?

Yep, awesome. So why the **** did it take 8 episodes to show us something that we should fear him for?

End of the day it can be boiled down to: "They strayed from the formula." That's why the show dropped.

The whole "I won't tell anyone, "I know" and then proceeds to cut him was pretty badass. I really enjoyed evil-Gosling. If he was introduced from the start things would have been much better.

And was Dexter really trying to charge Gosling, whom had a gun, with a fork?

Never take a gun to a fork fight.

What an absolute disgrace. Can we have a thread dedicated to the shows Scott Buck has worked on so we know to never ever watch them. He has ruined an absolutely great show, and that ending typified it. Dexter was not a half a step away from reality, it was just total bullshit.

What an absolute joke. Scott Buck should never ever be allowed to writer another series ever again

And why couldn't he be a lumberjack or some other profession like that in Argentina?