Dexter Finale (Up to date spoilers)

And that Misuka father storyline really paid of in spades, didn't it?

Seriously how would say Batista cope with all this ■■■■? Everyone he loves dies. la Guerta, dexter, deb + others. How much bad luck can one Police force have?

I think I would have preferred this:

Clyde Phillips, the man who ran Dexter up to season 4, has revealed the ending he would have given the show.

*Spoilers ahead*

The Showtime drama came to an end on Sunday night (September 22), seeing serial-killing anti-hero Dexter fake his own death and start a new life.

However Phillips, who was in charge of an era of the show which many fans regard as the finest, has revealed he would have done things differently.

‘In the very last scene of the series, Dexter wakes up,‘ Phillips told E!. ‘And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream‘, and then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realise, ‘No, it‘s not a dream‘.

‘Dexter‘s opening his eyes and he‘s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They‘re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery, and in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed.‘

More: Dexter was glorious for four seasons, then the rot set in

1000x66053.jpg?w=650&h=429&crop=1#038;h=Dexter‘s final two seasons did not go down well with viewers (Picture: Showtime)

Phillips went on to reveal that many of Morgan‘s most high profile victims would feature in the hallucination, including the Trinity Killer, Doakes and LaGuerta.

‘Everything we‘ve seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter‘s execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies,‘ he said.

‘Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion.‘

Phillips insisted that he felt his successor ‘did a good job with the final episode‘ though, adding: ‘ I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did, and I had no problem with that.‘

Clyde Phillips also had the story diverge quite a lot from Jeff Lindsay's books.

Writers sell the rights for good money and lose all editorial rights (generally). People who leave the show lose absolutely all rights.

Didn't like the ending myself though.

Did Phillips leave or was he pushed?

And I am still angry!

I reckon some of his 6 Feet Under character came out in the end.  clearly gay, turning his back on banging Hannah for eternity.

Clyde Phillips also had the story diverge quite a lot from Jeff Lindsay's books.

Writers sell the rights for good money and lose all editorial rights (generally). People who leave the show lose absolutely all rights.

The books are brilliant too.

For one, they didnt kill off Doakes who was the best character in the show!

The books are brilliant too.

For one, they didnt kill off Doakes who was the best character in the show!

And I believe La Guerta was gone by Book 1...wish she'd gone earlier on TV too. Normally I think Latina chicas are hot. Not there.

There are books on Dexter? Are they called Dexter? Damn, how have I not heard about this.

What an absolute disgrace of an ending. 
I'm almost expecting a press release saying that we have been punk'd.
What a farking joke.

Seriously, words cannot describe how ■■■■ that was. 
Woeful.

There are books on Dexter? Are they called Dexter? Damn, how have I not heard about this.

Yeah by Jeff Lindsay. They all have Dexter in the title, I've picked one up to read but haven't read any in the series yet so Noonan & wezz are in a better position to comment, but I believe the first book was pretty much copied for Season 1 and the TV show and books drastically diverge from Season/book 2 on.

What an absolute disgrace. Can we have a thread dedicated to the shows Scott Buck has worked on so we know to never ever watch them. He has ruined an absolutely great show, and that ending typified it. Dexter was not a half a step away from reality, it was just total bullshit.

The main show he's worked on before this was 6 Feet Under as a writer and a few others people may've heard of but I hadn't, but this was the first time he'd been a showrunner.

Did Phillips leave or was he pushed?

It was his decision to leave, his family was on the east coast, whilst Dexter filmed in LA and I presume that was also where the writing room was situated - he just wanted to spend more time with his family. He is now the showrunner for Nurse Jackie (season 5+)

It would have been better if they ended with Dexter singing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK etc etc".

Made the decision not to read the Jeff Lindsay books.

It would have been better if they ended with Dexter singing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK etc etc".

Made the decision not to read the Jeff Lindsay books.

I thought the exact same thing. Oh Monty Python, never gets old.

They should have cut the Vogel stuff in half. Introduced evil-Gosling from the start. The part where Dexter/Quinn/Batista are watching Dexter "self-defence" should have happened like ep 10 or something..the part where Quinn turns and glances at Dexter should have been the part where Quinn instead of accepting it get suss on Dexter.

I don't know. Anything but lumberjack Dexter.

And why couldn't he be a lumberjack or some other profession like that in Argentina?

Did you miss the entire point of the ending?

I was just reading a comment on Variety and saw this. As it states it would be so much easier to come up with a better ending:

My Alternate Ending: Deb stays alive a little while longer and she still regrets killing LaGuerta so much so that she commits suicide but not before explaining everything about Dexter in a suicide note. (She would have to somehow prove that she wasn‘t lying, but it would be the writer‘s job to figure that out). Dexter discovers the note and goes on the run. He would be the most wanted man in america at that point. He delivers the exact same message to Hannah and Harrison [(the one he gave them before he chucked his phone in the water)-(he would have to contact Hannah before the news went viral)]. So now Dexter finds his new home and job, the lumberjack thing works.

BUT, after receiving the news that Dexter had been found out she starts to resent him for leaving her with his kid in a foreign country with no plan and barely any money. One day Hannah catches Harrison with a dead rabbit and she knows that he is the same as Dexter so she trains Harrison and teaches him how to kill without being caught. She would put her own twist on the way he killed, maybe by teaching him about the plants she used to use. And Harrison knows about his dad; with the persuasion from Hannah, Harrison finds himself hating Dexter for leaving him and Hannah when he could have just fled to Argentina but Dexter chose not to.

The final minute of the show would play out like this: *Hannah has passed away due to illness and age*. We find a young man sitting alone outside of a cabin eating an oreo cookie, he walks into the cabin lined wall to wall with plastic. On one of the walls is a picture of a 4 year old Harrison along with a picture of Hannah. In the centre of the cabin is a table with an unconscious, aged man wrapped up in plastic….fully constricted. The man regains consciousness and finds himself looking into a pair of two dark and unforgiving eyes….The old man could have sworn that he was looking into the past…seeing a son which he abandoned…the final line would be Harrison saying “Hello dad”. Harrison looks into the camera with the same creepy look that only a psychopath could achieve and the screen goes black….

But I would also have Dexter (before Dexter is killed) attending the funeral of his long time and only true friend Bautista…watching from afar, bidding his final farewell to his friend. Quinn is Deputy Chief, Matsuka is working for the FBI as the head of the forensic department. And i would have Cody (Dexter‘s stepson) working for Miami metro as sergeant (He would be about 30-40 years old). MEGA SURPRISE TWIST would be that Astor would be married to Harrison!!! (Yes, there is about a 15 year age gap but Astor is a single alcoholic) Astor would have no clue that its Harrison because he would have changed his identity to be with her. Why would Harrison be with Astor? He‘s a psychopath.

i think it would have taken another episode after they established Dexter being in exile. It would be an episode filled with familiar faces living their lives with the addition of an unrecognizable Harrison. Harrison could even work for Miami Metro as the blood spatter analyst…who knows. the possibilities would be endless.

I feel like my ending is better for me and it literally took 30 mins to make up out of thin air,,, it doesn‘t even feel like Dexter is over. Not for me anyways.. 

I didn't hate the ending as much as most of you, but I did hate the previous episode.  I've tied you up, just about to kill you, but no, I'll give you a chance to escape.  Did Austin Powers write that?

My ending would have been to have Saxon chainsaw one or more of Hannah/Deb/Dexter to bits in a shipping container and end it with Harrison being born in blood, possibly with a still alive Vogel picking him up.  

I was just reading a comment on Variety and saw this. As it states it would be so much easier to come up with a better ending:

My Alternate Ending: Deb stays alive a little while longer and she still regrets killing LaGuerta so much so that she commits suicide but not before explaining everything about Dexter in a suicide note. (She would have to somehow prove that she wasn‘t lying, but it would be the writer‘s job to figure that out). Dexter discovers the note and goes on the run. He would be the most wanted man in america at that point. He delivers the exact same message to Hannah and Harrison [(the one he gave them before he chucked his phone in the water)-(he would have to contact Hannah before the news went viral)]. So now Dexter finds his new home and job, the lumberjack thing works.

BUT, after receiving the news that Dexter had been found out she starts to resent him for leaving her with his kid in a foreign country with no plan and barely any money. One day Hannah catches Harrison with a dead rabbit and she knows that he is the same as Dexter so she trains Harrison and teaches him how to kill without being caught. She would put her own twist on the way he killed, maybe by teaching him about the plants she used to use. And Harrison knows about his dad; with the persuasion from Hannah, Harrison finds himself hating Dexter for leaving him and Hannah when he could have just fled to Argentina but Dexter chose not to.

The final minute of the show would play out like this: *Hannah has passed away due to illness and age*. We find a young man sitting alone outside of a cabin eating an oreo cookie, he walks into the cabin lined wall to wall with plastic. On one of the walls is a picture of a 4 year old Harrison along with a picture of Hannah. In the centre of the cabin is a table with an unconscious, aged man wrapped up in plastic….fully constricted. The man regains consciousness and finds himself looking into a pair of two dark and unforgiving eyes….The old man could have sworn that he was looking into the past…seeing a son which he abandoned…the final line would be Harrison saying “Hello dad”. Harrison looks into the camera with the same creepy look that only a psychopath could achieve and the screen goes black….

But I would also have Dexter (before Dexter is killed) attending the funeral of his long time and only true friend Bautista…watching from afar, bidding his final farewell to his friend. Quinn is Deputy Chief, Matsuka is working for the FBI as the head of the forensic department. And i would have Cody (Dexter‘s stepson) working for Miami metro as sergeant (He would be about 30-40 years old). MEGA SURPRISE TWIST would be that Astor would be married to Harrison!!! (Yes, there is about a 15 year age gap but Astor is a single alcoholic) Astor would have no clue that its Harrison because he would have changed his identity to be with her. Why would Harrison be with Astor? He‘s a psychopath.

i think it would have taken another episode after they established Dexter being in exile. It would be an episode filled with familiar faces living their lives with the addition of an unrecognizable Harrison. Harrison could even work for Miami Metro as the blood spatter analyst…who knows. the possibilities would be endless.

I feel like my ending is better for me and it literally took 30 mins to make up out of thin air,,, it doesn‘t even feel like Dexter is over. Not for me anyways.. 

Just quietly, that is shithouse.

Allegedly the ending was forced up the show...

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/ustv/s64/dexter/news/a521820/dexter-ending-was-forced-on-writers-by-showtime-says-producer.html

I am unconvinced.

Weird