Diets

I love large Big Mac meals, with a chocolate thickshake and a side of nuggets too much.

The problem with diets is that many are short-term fixes and not sustainable long term. I found that I needed to think more long-term than simply dieting. I had to consider more of a lifestyle change. I dropped from about 115kg to 92kg over the course of about 6 months just by upping my exercise to about 45-60 min 4-5 times a week and dropping my calorie intake substantially. (From over 3500 to less than 2100)

I also tried to think healthier - my two biggest vices are chocolate and soft drink. So I switched from dairy milk (57g per 100g sugar) to Lindt 85% Cocoa (12.5g per 100g sugar), and Coke Zero (0 calories) instead of Coke (160 calories). You still get your "treat" but you're not consuming the same calories. 

I also switched to low fat milk and cut my sugar intake by half in my coffees. I drink about 4 cups of coffee per day - this cut out about 200 calories. 

A simple way to think about it is Calories Out > Calories In.

If you're looking to lose weight rapidly, try to eat less than 1300 calories (about 5500 kilojoules) a day. A more moderate and easier to maintain weight loss, you should try to eat less than 2100 calories a day. 

As I said, I found that switching from coke to diet coke or coke zero (preferably water), and using reduced fat milk in my coffee with half the sugar - I cut out 360 calories per day without really trying - which is the equivalent of half an hour of cardio based exercise. 

The thing with people is most make ridiculously stupid food choices. Nobody "needs" a low carb diet, but people on low carb diets may stop before eating the pastry and think "oh its got carbs in it I can't". 

Also has to do with portion control. People go overboard on carbs and put less protein and veggies in meals because it's cheaper and carbs are generally the "tasty" part for most people. 

Having said that I actually eat low carb except for around training. That's more because I'd rather have a steak than rice than any real dietary choices. After training doe, ■■■■ gets demolished. 

I'm on the "eat less, move more" diet. It's working.

Best part is that I didn't have to pay for a book or DVD telling me how to do it.

That's the best one. If you eat and drink more calories than you burn then you will put on weight. If you burn more than you eat then you lose weight.
It's not rocket science.

You can never out train a bad diet. It's impossible.

Control your portion size. Each meal should consist of a lean protein source ( chicken, eggs, beef, kangaroo, tuna, fish.. etc), carbohydrate( wholemeal bread, pasta, brown rice, oats) and then plenty of fruits, nuts and vegies.

Keep it simple.

Don't rely on meal replacement supplements or magic pills and powders.

Track your progress and continually assess yourself ( measurements, photos). I've been using the My Fitness Pal app over the last year and logging in all my meals and this has made a huge difference. I recommend everyone download this app.

Lay off the junk food. I have a cheat meal on weekends where I treat myself to anything I want. This keeps me sane and allows me to reward myself for keeping on diet during the week.

By following this sort of diet and exercising consistently I've lost nearly 20kg in the last year and gotten my body fat % down from 25-15%. Ive also managed to maintain muscle mass. I'm actually stronger than I've ever been and feel so much more energetic.

Just stay consistent. That is the key. It will take time to see some real results, but its definatley worth it.

+1 for my fitness pal. I've only been on it a month but you realise how many calories certain meals have and adjust accordingly. Only downside is cooking takes longer cause you're measuring everything!

The thing with people is most make ridiculously stupid food choices. Nobody "needs" a low carb diet, but people on low carb diets may stop before eating the pastry and think "oh its got carbs in it I can't". 

Also has to do with portion control. People go overboard on carbs and put less protein and veggies in meals because it's cheaper and carbs are generally the "tasty" part for most people. 

Having said that I actually eat low carb except for around training. That's more because I'd rather have a steak than rice than any real dietary choices. After training doe, ■■■■ gets demolished. 

Having watched others I think people also struggle with diets because they force themselves into making decisions that they hate. "Oh I'm only eating X for the next month, even though it's frigging disgusting".

It shouldn't be hard for any individual to identify what's healthy, what's not, what they like, what they don't, then draw a Venn Diagram of all the things they then should be eating.

+2 for myfitnesspal. I’ve been using it for about 8 months, I’ve lost about 5kg and I could lose a couple more. Simply being aware of what calories you’re consuming and the calorie values and other nutritional values of various types of food acts as an incentive, for me at least, to be better about what I consume and how much I consume. I use it in conjunction with Mapmyfitness, which is a gps based activity tracker and calorie calculator, ie, for running, walking and cycling it records your route, distance and time, and calculates calories burned on the basis of your weight, etc. And then it syncs those calories with Myfitnesspal, so that if Mapmyfitness calculates that I’ve burned say 800 calories running then those calories are added to my allowance for that day on Myfitnesspal.

The other thing about them is that they’re addictive. Every time I eat or drink something I enter it automatically.

Im doing CSIRO at the moment. Based on low carb high protein and slight calorie restriction. Im on 1600 calories a day. I dont eat every meal they suggest but follow the food group quantities and food group balance. I have re committed to daily brisk walking, (10 klm a day) Stopped the beer completley.

Just at the end of week 2 and Im down by 4 kilos. 10 to go for my goal. 

I dont think I will have any problems with this diet. Its basically real food with balanced portions and some calorie restrictions. Not too hard really.

No alcohol for 2 weeks my brain is so wired, and peaking, another 10 weeks of this and I will probably find a cure for ebola

Depending on how serious you are, this program works,  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gethin-nutrition-plan.html

Even without the intensive training, the diet, combined with a moderate amount of exercise is still effective, although, if you really want to see results stick to the entire plan, it's worth it.

My philosophy is shop well eat well.

Works for me.

Don't buy junk and you won't eat junk.

Say bye to bread

Never, it is my staple. 

Depending on how serious you are, this program works, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gethin-nutrition-plan.html
Even without the intensive training, the diet, combined with a moderate amount of exercise is still effective, although, if you really want to see results stick to the entire plan, it's worth it.

Sorry, but is it a pisstake? Drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day?
And what are the transformations they speak of? Is it just a way to kick start a healthier eating plan and drop some kgs?

Depending on how serious you are, this program works, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gethin-nutrition-plan.html

Sorry, but is it a pisstake? Drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day?
And what are the transformations they speak of? Is it just a way to kick start a healthier eating plan and drop some kgs?

Yep, plenty of them :lol:

You have to remember that this nutrition plan is part of an overall program and If you look at the training plan you will see that cardio training twice a day as well as weight training on most days is required, it's ■■■■■■ hard work for the second half of the program as the exercise intensity goes up quite a bit.

The word transformation on that site can mean adding bulk or cutting fat, anything that transforms your physique.

I had been going to the gym for while without really making any significant gains so I decided to see what these guys do and how they do it. I followed this plan and dropped 10kgs and have never felt better. I now alternate this plan with another "building" plan on that site and have combined aspects from both for my normal training.

Training aside, the most important thing I discovered is that eating lots of small healthy meals is the key to any diet, still aim for the same daily calorific intake, just split it up between 5 or 6 meals.

Oh yeah, it's probably easier to start this after Christmas :D

Avoid Diets.  

Especially ones that advocate low carbs and high protein.  

Couple of basic facts,  Carbs are fuel for Muscle.   Stop eating fuel for muscle your body starts eating its own muscle for muscle energy.

Muscle weighs more than Fat, Hence why losing "weight" (not girth/feel) + a diet of low carbs always reachs its goal quickly.

Once you go off that diet, like eating alot of carbs, you will be worse off because you lost the muscle that burns...Carbs. (going to live low carb for the rest of your life?  )

Long story short, read this book from a reputable source i read along time ago:

The Diet Dilemma by Rosemary Stanton. 

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/the-diet-dilemma---explained-rosemary-stanton/p/9781865082561

Great book with alot of common sense and science.   Short to read and lots of info.

Also check out this site:

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/

You need to remember that not all carbs are the same and there are certainly plenty that need to be avoided, also, if your exercise level is zilch you don't need carbs in the same quantities as those who exercise regularly.

Avoid Diets.  

Couple of basic facts,  Carbs are fuel for Muscle.   Stop eating fuel for muscle your body starts eating its own muscle for muscle energy.

Muscle weighs more than Fat, Hence why losing "weight" (not girth/feel) + a diet of low carbs always reachs its goal quickly.

Once you go off that diet, like eating alot of carbs, you will be worse off because you lost the muscle that burns...Carbs. (going to live low carb for the rest of your life?  )

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/the-diet-dilemma---explained-rosemary-stanton/p/9781865082561

Great book with alot of common sense and science.   Short to read and lots of info.

You need to remember that not all carbs are the same and there are certainly plenty that need to be avoided, also, if your exercise level is zilch you don't need carbs in the same quantities as those who exercise regularly.

Zero carb diets are ridiculous. Carbs are important as they are your bodies primary energy source. If you keep your carb intake around the times you are exercising then they will get utilized and not be stored as fat. 

I try and get slow burning carbs most of the time ( brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta). The exception to this would be before training when you want carbs that are going to be easily digested and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. This is the ideal time to have some sugars( Fruits,honey, yoghurt, white rice, bread, sports drinks,). You could even have a jam sandwich with banana and peanut butter and it wouldn't really matter all that much because you will be burning those carbs while training. 

Keep carbs around times of most physical activity.

Avoid Diets.  

Zero carb diets are ridiculous. Carbs are important as they are your bodies primary energy source. If you keep your carb intake around the times you are exercising then they will get utilized and not be stored as fat. 

I try and get slow burning carbs most of the time ( brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta). The exception to this would be before training when you want carbs that are going to be easily digested and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. This is the ideal time to have some sugars( Fruits,honey, yoghurt, white rice, bread, sports drinks,). You could even have a jam sandwich with banana and peanut butter and it wouldn't really matter all that much because you will be burning those carbs while training. 

Keep carbs around times of most physical activity.
I'm purposefully staying out of this thread but some corrections for you.
Brown rice and wholemeal bread are not slow burning carbs and white pasta actually is.
Fruit, honey and yoghurt are slow burning and not digested quickly at all. Bread it depends on type. Sports drinks are not until after exercise and only needed if exercising for greater than 60mins. :)

Has anyone tried the paleo diet?
Is there any benefits to it?
I heard Garry ablett Jnr did it.
I don't really need lose weight but might be a good idea to eat less processed foods.

Is this post Gluten-Free?

Has anyone tried the paleo diet?
Is there any benefits to it?
I heard Garry ablett Jnr did it.
I don't really need lose weight but might be a good idea to eat less processed foods.

Is this post Gluten-Free?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtmKU9xYF_Q[/media]