Diets

Avoid Diets.
Especially ones that advocate low carbs and high protein.
Couple of basic facts, Carbs are fuel for Muscle. Stop eating fuel for muscle your body starts eating its own muscle for muscle energy.
Muscle weighs more than Fat, Hence why losing "weight" (not girth/feel) + a diet of low carbs always reachs its goal quickly.
Once you go off that diet, like eating alot of carbs, you will be worse off because you lost the muscle that burns...Carbs. (going to live low carb for the rest of your life? )
Long story short, read this book from a reputable source i read along time ago:
The Diet Dilemma by Rosemary Stanton.
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/the-diet-dilemma---explained-rosemary-stanton/p/9781865082561
Great book with alot of common sense and science. Short to read and lots of info.
Also check out this site:
http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/

You need to remember that not all carbs are the same and there are certainly plenty that need to be avoided, also, if your exercise level is zilch you don't need carbs in the same quantities as those who exercise regularly.
Zero carb diets are ridiculous. Carbs are important as they are your bodies primary energy source. If you keep your carb intake around the times you are exercising then they will get utilized and not be stored as fat.
I try and get slow burning carbs most of the time ( brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta). The exception to this would be before training when you want carbs that are going to be easily digested and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. This is the ideal time to have some sugars( Fruits,honey, yoghurt, white rice, bread, sports drinks,). You could even have a jam sandwich with banana and peanut butter and it wouldn't really matter all that much because you will be burning those carbs while training.
Keep carbs around times of most physical activity.
I'm purposefully staying out of this thread but some corrections for you.
Brown rice and wholemeal bread are not slow burning carbs and white pasta actually is.
Fruit, honey and yoghurt are slow burning and not digested quickly at all. Bread it depends on type. Sports drinks are not until after exercise and only needed if exercising for greater than 60mins. :)

Interesting info. So a banana for instance would take longer to absorb than a small serve of pasta or maybe a sandwich? Just curious.

When I was a kid we had to pay for our gluten, now all you lucky bastards get it FREE.

Gen Y bludgers

Avoid Diets.
Especially ones that advocate low carbs and high protein.
Couple of basic facts, Carbs are fuel for Muscle. Stop eating fuel for muscle your body starts eating its own muscle for muscle energy.
Muscle weighs more than Fat, Hence why losing "weight" (not girth/feel) + a diet of low carbs always reachs its goal quickly.
Once you go off that diet, like eating alot of carbs, you will be worse off because you lost the muscle that burns...Carbs. (going to live low carb for the rest of your life? )
Long story short, read this book from a reputable source i read along time ago:
The Diet Dilemma by Rosemary Stanton. http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/the-diet-dilemma---explained-rosemary-stanton/p/9781865082561
Great book with alot of common sense and science. Short to read and lots of info.
Also check out this site:http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/

You need to remember that not all carbs are the same and there are certainly plenty that need to be avoided, also, if your exercise level is zilch you don't need carbs in the same quantities as those who exercise regularly.
Zero carb diets are ridiculous. Carbs are important as they are your bodies primary energy source. If you keep your carb intake around the times you are exercising then they will get utilized and not be stored as fat.
I try and get slow burning carbs most of the time ( brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta). The exception to this would be before training when you want carbs that are going to be easily digested and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. This is the ideal time to have some sugars( Fruits,honey, yoghurt, white rice, bread, sports drinks,). You could even have a jam sandwich with banana and peanut butter and it wouldn't really matter all that much because you will be burning those carbs while training.
Keep carbs around times of most physical activity.
I'm purposefully staying out of this thread but some corrections for you.
Brown rice and wholemeal bread are not slow burning carbs and white pasta actually is.
Fruit, honey and yoghurt are slow burning and not digested quickly at all. Bread it depends on type. Sports drinks are not until after exercise and only needed if exercising for greater than 60mins. :)

Interesting info. So a banana for instance would take longer to absorb than a small serve of pasta or maybe a sandwich? Just curious.
About the same time, but it is dependent on other factors, what you eat it with, what else you've eaten, your own body

Don't we already have a BROSCIENCE thread somewhere?

down 4kgs after 2 weeks on Csiro wellbeing plan. Not deprived of food just eating from the food groups in balance and portion control. Not really that difficult. Im being good with the beers too. Just six stubbies in 2 weeks, and walking heaps

down 4kgs after 2 weeks on Csiro wellbeing plan. Not deprived of food just eating from the food groups in balance and portion control. Not really that difficult. Im being good with the beers too. Just six stubbies in 2 weeks, and walking heaps

If you're only taking in 1600 calories a day i'd be surprised if anyone couldn't lose weight.

5kg heavier than my previous highest! Loving it.

Always had trouble putting weight on, forcing myself to eat more than I normally would.

Diet's (with a name) are too hard to follow and not realistic or beneficial IMO.

I think if you want to lose weight it's easier if you focus on lifestyle choices, and stop kidding yourself.

I'm about 87kg atm and should be closer to 80kg.

Most people who are overweight (including myself) will admit most of the following:

- Drinking alcoholic drinks. Do you have a couple of beers, or a few glasses of wine each night? Maybe some longer sessions on weekends?

- Drinking anything but water. I don't mean smoothies, I mean a few coffees, sports drinks, soft drinks, cordials, fruit juices. They add up quickly. 

- Cooking with too much oil/butter/fat. See how much butter/margarine people can get onto a piece of toast? How much butter they put in that creamy sauce? Oil's great for making sure food doesn't stick to he pan, but you don't have to shallow-fry everything.

- Do you have a desert after dinner every night? How about a piece of cake at work each day, or a mid-morning donut/danish. Shame on you!

- Do you buy your lunch? You go in to just buy a ham salad roll, but either add a few fried dim sims or chips, or walk out with the worlds biggest chicken schnitzel burger?? Or do you buy souvlaki/maccas/noodles/indian?? Oh, don't forget the coke or choccy milk.

- Left overs for lunch? Pizza? Indian? You really need that dinner sized portion of lasagna, with no fruit or salad? Oh, you've got garlic bread, nice one!

- Excercise.... Oh you took your kid to the park and walked around for 20 mins, carried the groceries in, put the bins out, maybe vacuumed... big deal! If you didn't sweat enough to change clothes, it's called LIFE, not exercise.

I pretty much commit most of the above sins on a daily basis. Just adding in propper excercise OR not drinking alcohol, OR cutting out the sweets OR just having basic sandwiches for lunch would probably see me get down to 80kg in 2-3 months time, easily.

No need for a specific diet or strict regime, just need to cut out the crap.

I just had a ham salad roll. By itself. :(

If you're only taking in 1600 calories a day i'd be surprised if anyone couldn't lose weight.

Of course, like any such things it takes a level of will power. For me this has been an educational experience.Before this I used to think I didnt eat that much crap.

Now I am guided by eating less (for now) and making sure I spread my eating more across the food groups. It just makes you focus and think about what you are eating and when. I dont feel deprived of food, and Im surprised how easy I can ignore sugar and alcohol after just the first few weeks. Heaps easier than it was to give up the ■■■■ about 5 years ago.

Of course, like any such things it takes a level of will power. For me this has been an educational experience.Before this I used to think I didnt eat that much crap.

Now I am guided by eating less (for now) and making sure I spread my eating more across the food groups. It just makes you focus and think about what you are eating and when. I dont feel deprived of food, and Im surprised how easy I can ignore sugar and alcohol after just the first few weeks. Heaps easier than it was to give up the ■■■■ about 5 years ago.

I've found just counting calories has taught me a fair bit. Some meals I used to have over one night has been split into two but something else added to make sure I still feel full. 

Hardest bit for me is when you do have a busy day you just want to pig out!

EXCERCISE HEAPS

EAT WHAT YOU WANT

or do amphetamines 

The old fashioned way...laxatives and smokes.

kathkim440.jpg

EXCERCISE HEAPS
EAT WHAT YOU WANT

Wrong.

EXCERCISE HEAPS
EAT WHAT YOU WANT

Wrong.

Can't argue with results. Come at me.

KFC with their Tuesday chicken deals are too good to resist. 

EXCERCISE HEAPS
EAT WHAT YOU WANT

Wrong.
Can't argue with results. Come at me.

True you can't. But your results could always be better.
It is impossible to out train a crap diet.
Took me long enough to figure it out.

Ms doing weight watchers. Yeah, old school, right?

Basically every food is given a points value, and you put in your height/weight/age etc and get given an allotment of points per day/week.

90% of the changes are portion control and using less fat/oil when cooking.

Water chestnuts with a dab of peanut butter on top, for a quick snack.