Diets

Does the healthy eating food pyramid still apply or is it off balance now?

I'm so very confused when it comes to what is supposed to be good and bad.

I'll continue eating everything for now though, in moderation.

One thing that confuses me though, rice for example has more calories than chicken (skinless). But if I only ate chicken it wouldn't be good either right even though i'd be consuming less calories.

Also if you had to choose between sugar and fat, which is worse?

Im prepapred to do the low carb high proten thing , ramp up excercise to get some weight off quickly then just go back to fairly normal eating but be more conciencous about it after that. I have never put weight on quickly in the past anyway rather over a period of time, and nevery really had a serious weight issue. Im confident I can maintain weight just by doing the right thing. 

Its really about balance and portion size I reckon. Cut out as much crap as possible and eat fresh food not processed as much as humanly possible.

The Catalyst report was interesting. Paleo is just Atkins with a funky new name. 

Paleo is different from atkins cause they encourage you to eat lots of vegetables, and fruit...not just protein.

One thing that confuses me though, rice for example has more calories than chicken (skinless). But if I only ate chicken it wouldn't be good either right even though i'd be consuming less calories.

5492041909_e1376795d6.jpg

Healthy guy eats processed foods and suffers. What a shock

How common is it for people to 'diet' by cutting to low fat yoghurt, "whole grain" muesli bars etc etc though? You are being pretty aggressive, but I honestly think its a massive problem. 

The Catalyst report was interesting. Paleo is just Atkins with a funky new name.

Paleo is different from atkins cause they encourage you to eat lots of vegetables, and fruit...not just protein.
Both are low carb fad diets that rely on ketosis for weight loss but yeah you are spot on there.

At least with those diets you would actually get to eat some pretty good food, and it wouldn't just be weightless via starvation.

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/

Neither fat nor sugar is worse than each other. It's NOT about individual nutrients, it's about whole foods and diets.

- megz

Healthy guy eats processed foods and suffers. What a shock

How common is it for people to 'diet' by cutting to low fat yoghurt, "whole grain" muesli bars etc etc though? You are being pretty aggressive, but I honestly think its a massive problem. 

Maybe I'm aggressive but mostly because this type of "documentry" serves no purpose other than to make money. It serves no public health benefit beyond well duh. It confuses the conversation rather than adding to it.

- megz

So the growing amount of proper science is all bogus?

No but it doesn’t yet come close to matching the science that is out there.

Blogs and webpages etc all have a massive confirmation bias where they cherry pick the evidence.

I’m more than happy to stand corrected when the science backs it up. That’s what I was trained to do. No matter what the chefs, writers and doctors (who study pretty much zero nutrition across their careers in general) tell you.

So the growing amount of proper science is all bogus?

the science seems to continue to change, certain foods who got a bad wrap, have been proven over time to actually be good for you, and vice versa.

As with anything I'd suggest find out what does or doesn't work for yourself. I've seen people who can eat all the ■■■■ they like and not put on even 1 kg, i've seen people who also put on weight when they merely look at a carb.

you can also tell the people in here who have never really struggled with their weight, it's very rarely as simple as, oh eat better, exercise more blah blah. So many more factors involved in it than that, sadly.

No but it doesn't yet come close to matching the science that is out there.
Blogs and webpages etc all have a massive confirmation bias where they cherry pick the evidence.
I'm more than happy to stand corrected when the science backs it up. That's what I was trained to do. No matter what the chefs, writers and doctors (who study pretty much zero nutrition across their careers in general) tell you.

Do you know of a site where someone has summarised the anti low-carb high fat stuff? All the papers I find are old, and I am not being a ■■■■ when I say that. I plan on living to 130 so I have to start getting it right soon (I am eating ice cream right now as I type). 
I found this:
http://www.paleoplan.com/2014/10-06/diet-wars-continue-low-carb-vs-low-fat-study/
which summarises this from this year:
http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694
and interestingly, I found this:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2014/11/low-carb-diets-and-the-power-of-our-community-2/
Which although a "blog" and therefore "crap", is the official diabetes of UK blog. I know they are talking about type 2, but still. 
I know its in vogue and therefore flooding google, but I am really struggling to find the 10000 peer reviewed papers that the nutritional guidelines are based on. At least none from the last 20 years anyway. This is the closest I have found to an 'unbias' literature review, but its still totally bias:
http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/03/17/low-carb-diets-and-heart-disease-what-are-we-afraid-of/
Just for the record, I am not banging on about this because I think its the best way to lose weight. In my opinion, the best way to lose weight is to get a consistent approach that you can mentally stick to, figure out your triggers for going off it, and stay patient because it takes forever. Thats from a long time of up and downs. I am interested in this because if it turns out to be right, it has massive implications with regards to all of the health guidelines, marketing, and long term health etc, especially in relation to the big area of odd diseases that are on the exponential increases like diabetes etc. There is a heap of resistance, and maybe it will turn out to be valid, but sometimes I think its a bit of a case of sticking the heels in. I wouldnt be too impressed if someone told me that the rules of electromagnetism had changed since I did uni, so I can understand it, but hopefully it stops being a "us versus them" thing. I think the key will be more longitudinal studies highlighting the existence or lack of health effects. 
Mediterranean diet is sounding interesting, I am reading up. 

Im doing this one

https://my.totalwellbeingdiet.com/

I more follow the rules of how many units per day rather than their actual meal plan, and the few meals I have contructed from their recipies have been delicious. I have had no difficulty sticking with this at all nearly 3 weeks in now. I feel great

you can also tell the people in here who have never really struggled with their weight, it's very rarely as simple as, oh eat better, exercise more blah blah. So many more factors involved in it than that, sadly.

Was 152kg ten months ago. Now 124kg and slowly decreasing.

There's really no more factors. It really is that simple.

I had tried all manner of methods to shift the kegs. My eyes were opened last year when I started regularly eating meals with my gf's family that were quite small and I'd be like, "wtf where's the rest of dinner?". Turns out I had a rather silly notion of what a "portion" was. 

I had tried all manner of methods to shift the kegs. My eyes were opened last year when I started regularly eating meals with my gf's family that were quite small and I'd be like, "wtf where's the rest of dinner?". Turns out I had a rather silly notion of what a "portion" was.

Well done. A couple more handy hints, which you're probably aware of: drink plain water instead of flavoured drinks; don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fresh fruit, and drink less alcohol.
How did you find adjusting to smaller portion sizes? I imagine it would have been hard at first, but have you got used to it?

well done SImmo

i'm not tall. I lost over 15kg now which is a lot for my frame.  had a serious gut and was very very unfit. heart attack central.

I struggled with yo-yo weight for years

in the end actually it was that simple. 

burn more energy than i consumed , (exercise more, eat less) and eat more food that doesn't store as fat when not burnt.

#whodathunkit

While we're talking science, is 'fast metabolism' a thing? I eat like a horse and put on no weight. I have the figure of a meth addict.

While we're talking science, is 'fast metabolism' a thing? I eat like a horse and put on no weight. I have the figure of a meth addict.

How are your teeth?

How are your teeth?

The Keith Richards diet?

Well done. A couple more handy hints, which you're probably aware of: drink plain water instead of flavoured drinks; don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fresh fruit, and drink less alcohol.
How did you find adjusting to smaller portion sizes? I imagine it would have been hard at first, but have you got used to it?

There was a period of about three weeks where I was constantly hungry and grumpy before my brain/stomach finally went "fine we'll do it your way" and now I'm good with it. I don't eat between meals at all. Water only (apart from the occasional apple juice or milk if I've been a good boy) and if I do booze on it's vodka/soda only. Two runs a week (one 10-12km, one 5-6km) plus social sport.

The loss has been pretty steady because it's a lifestyle change, not a "drop 50kg then go back to what I was doing". It's been a fair bit of work hammering these actions into habits, but I'm still allowed to break rules - I can have pizza or a burger on a weekend without considering it a failure.