Diets

It's probably been harder on my gf than me to be honest. She loves going out for lavish. hearty meals, and gets dejected when I order the most basic salad on the menu (if anything at all).

While we're talking science, is 'fast metabolism' a thing? I eat like a horse and put on no weight. I have the figure of a meth addict.

How are your teeth?
Smaller than Jake Melksham's

While we're talking science, is 'fast metabolism' a thing? I eat like a horse and put on no weight. I have the figure of a meth addict.

How are your teeth?

Smaller than Jake Melksham's

So is everything.

Avoid Diets.  

Especially ones that advocate low carbs and high protein.  

Couple of basic facts,  Carbs are fuel for Muscle.   Stop eating fuel for muscle your body starts eating its own muscle for muscle energy.

Muscle weighs more than Fat, Hence why losing "weight" (not girth/feel) + a diet of low carbs always reachs its goal quickly.

Once you go off that diet, like eating alot of carbs, you will be worse off because you lost the muscle that burns...Carbs. (going to live low carb for the rest of your life?  )

Long story short, read this book from a reputable source i read along time ago:

The Diet Dilemma by Rosemary Stanton. 

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/the-diet-dilemma---explained-rosemary-stanton/p/9781865082561

Great book with alot of common sense and science.   Short to read and lots of info.

Also check out this site:

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/

Carbs are fuel for muscle, which is why the body produces its own. Your muscles are not going to starve if you stop eating carbs.

Im not sure if i follow what you mean?

Body produces glycogen from Carbohydrates (from white sugar (simple) to a raw wheat grain (Complex) )

Glycogen is the energy for the cells.  

When you stop eating Carbs your body uses its reserves, when it runs out of its reserves, your body will consume muscle to produce glycogen (something very similar)

That is why yo-yo dieting exists, people go on low carb diets, lose weight quickly (lose heavy muscle weight, which is denser than fat per gram), feel good that they lost weight, start eating carbs again (as you should) and you are worse off, why?

Because the loss of muscle that burns the energy is gone.  (Muscle is critical to lossing weight long term permanently.)

Ask any body builder, if they dont get carbs they dont build muscle.(not to confuse carbs as the building block for muscle, but if they have no energy they wont work to build)  Muscle keeps you out of hospital. 

Production of glycogen from carbohydrates is the most efficient pathway, but not the only one. If you're a body builder who wants to maintain a very high muscle mass, then you will probably want carbs, but the average person is not going to waste away to nothing on a low-carb diet, as long as they eat plenty of fats and protein instead.

you can also tell the people in here who have never really struggled with their weight, it's very rarely as simple as, oh eat better, exercise more blah blah. So many more factors involved in it than that, sadly.

Was 152kg ten months ago. Now 124kg and slowly decreasing.

There's really no more factors. It really is that simple.

I had tried all manner of methods to shift the kegs. My eyes were opened last year when I started regularly eating meals with my gf's family that were quite small and I'd be like, "wtf where's the rest of dinner?". Turns out I had a rather silly notion of what a "portion" was.

Well done. A couple more handy hints, which you're probably aware of: drink plain water instead of flavoured drinks; don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fresh fruit, and drink less alcohol.
How did you find adjusting to smaller portion sizes? I imagine it would have been hard at first, but have you got used to it?
There was a period of about three weeks where I was constantly hungry and grumpy before my brain/stomach finally went "fine we'll do it your way" and now I'm good with it. I don't eat between meals at all. Water only (apart from the occasional apple juice or milk if I've been a good boy) and if I do booze on it's vodka/soda only. Two runs a week (one 10-12km, one 5-6km) plus social sport.

The loss has been pretty steady because it's a lifestyle change, not a "drop 50kg then go back to what I was doing". It's been a fair bit of work hammering these actions into habits, but I'm still allowed to break rules - I can have pizza or a burger on a weekend without considering it a failure.

Sounds like exactly the right way to do it. I read somewhere that provided you're actually getting enough nutrition to fuel your body, hunger is largely a matter of habit, and it seems that way to me. If you've been eating a piece of cake every day mid-morning and you cut it out, you fell hungry the next few mid-mornings, but then you forget about it and don't miss it.
Your gf must be pleased.

I have done 8 kilos now half way into my 5th week on this. Pretty extraordinary. I am eating less at the moment than I would like to,  but eating across all food groups and I dont feel deprived really.  I guess as with all these things it comes down to motivation. Im now only 5 kilos from my goal of 80kgs and should ■■■■ that in by xmas. I think I have learned a lot about eating and portions and moderating other things to make this permanent part of lifestyle

https://www.totalwellbeingdiet.com/

Obviously Sweden have it wrong, seeing as this is not the advice I get in Australia.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

One more point. A HIGH carbohydrate diet has NEVER bee recommended. We recommend a MODERATE carb diet 40-60% of total energy intake with fat less than 30% (so not necessarily low total) with less than 10% saturated fat.

■■■■■■ me off that people having a go at the recommendations dont even know what they are :slight_smile:

All diets are crap.
All.

Yup... lifestyle change is the answer, not a short-term diet.

Down 10kg now nearly at the end of 6 weeks. I will eat more food when I reach my goal but I reckon some eating habits I have picked up here will now be permanent. Im probably only going down 4more kg to about 80 and that will do me. At the rate I am losing weight I will almost be there by xmas

Im eating good food and in balance and excerise, not feeling food deprived at all but would like to sneak a few more beers in.
I have discovered barbequeing some whole vegies with spices is amazing. So much better than steaming or boiling

you can also tell the people in here who have never really struggled with their weight, it's very rarely as simple as, oh eat better, exercise more blah blah. So many more factors involved in it than that, sadly.

Was 152kg ten months ago. Now 124kg and slowly decreasing.

There's really no more factors. It really is that simple.

I had tried all manner of methods to shift the kegs. My eyes were opened last year when I started regularly eating meals with my gf's family that were quite small and I'd be like, "wtf where's the rest of dinner?". Turns out I had a rather silly notion of what a "portion" was.

Well done. A couple more handy hints, which you're probably aware of: drink plain water instead of flavoured drinks; don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fresh fruit, and drink less alcohol.

How did you find adjusting to smaller portion sizes? I imagine it would have been hard at first, but have you got used to it?

There was a period of about three weeks where I was constantly hungry and grumpy before my brain/stomach finally went "fine we'll do it your way" and now I'm good with it. I don't eat between meals at all. Water only (apart from the occasional apple juice or milk if I've been a good boy) and if I do booze on it's vodka/soda only. Two runs a week (one 10-12km, one 5-6km) plus social sport.

The loss has been pretty steady because it's a lifestyle change, not a "drop 50kg then go back to what I was doing". It's been a fair bit of work hammering these actions into habits, but I'm still allowed to break rules - I can have pizza or a burger on a weekend without considering it a failure.

I took the same approach.  I hit 92 kgs a year ago up from approx. 70 kgs about 10 years ago and decided I needed to do something about it.

So I cut out all sugar drinks in favour of water, limited my eating out to once a week, cut my portion sizes, took my lunch to work (a simple sandwich or bagel) and made home-cooked healthy dinners.

It was tough initially, especially at work where I used to supplement my lunch with a chocolate treat, as my body adjusted to having less sugar and food. But it worked - I lost 20 kgs over the next six months and have kept it off.  Now I find I can’t eat the same portions I used to and I feel unwell if I eat fatty take away foods.  I think the fat and sugar content is too high and my body just isn’t used to processing so much of that stuff at once.

"Don’t ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fruit"

Bomberblitz has had some bullshit written on it but come on, that’s pretty high level bullshit. 

For some it works, for some it doesn’t

For some it works, for some it doesn't
And in their case, it seemed to work.

Ok, I’m going to make a concerted effort to be a bit more active, and try to be a bit smarter about what I eat.

I went for a 10 min walk/run to the park last night and did a few push-ups/lunges etc and then walk/ran back again. No alcohol yesterday.

This morning I got up and spent 20 minutes on the foam roller doing some stretching and massaging, followed by some weetbix and fruit with milk.

I’ve got a beef salad packed for lunch and Ill go for a 20 min walk in my break, plus I’ve got some yard work planned for this evening which will be of more benefit than sitting on the coach with a beer.

It’s hardly a boot camp that I’ve started but it’s a step in the right direction. I think I’ll go for a 20min bike ride tomorrow morning too.

Eat well, eat sensible portions, and exercise … it’s not rocket science

A reply to: @Your Team regarding QuoteLink

"Don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fruit"

Bomberblitz has had some bullshit written on it but come on, that's pretty high level bullshit. 

The context being that they get their desired/target calorie intake from their planned main meals.

Maybe you’d like to explain the potential benefits of eating between meals?

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink

Bomberblitz has had some bullshit written on it but come on, that's pretty high level bullshit. 

The context being that they get their desired/target calorie intake from their planned main meals.

Ummm ... because the organism is designed to be refuelled roughly every three hours?

Hmm, I have just been through a yoghurt diet.

Not by choice mind you, but I have a massive issue with my jaw and so could not chew anything. Couldn’t entertain the thought of pureed everything, so cracked the sads and just ate yoghurt for a month. with a good supply of multivitamins. Even found it hard to drink beer, or any alcohol.

So while it has been a tough time, the good news is that I now am 11 kgs lighter and feel great.

Lucky I like yoghurt though !!

Now I can eat again, I am trying to eat less than before, but it is not easy after a lifetime of excess.

A reply to: @Reboot regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink

Ummm ... because the organism is designed to be refuelled roughly every three hours?

Can you lend me this instruction manual? I seem to have lost mine :slight_smile:

Not that I disagree with you, my understanding is that by eating smaller portions regularly that it improves/increases your metabolism - basically the fire is always burning.

I know YT has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to fitness and energy systems so I thought he might be able to add something rather than mock people who are new at this…