Dinner

It’s not your fault, it’s said all the time by chefs so it’s a given that it’s correct. And it’s a pet peeve of mine (I have many)

Adrian Richardson is a lad.

Adrian Richardson is a lad.

his cooking tv show went alright.

Cooking Porterhouse steak with vegies. I struggle to get it to restaurant quality with medum rare..

First things first, you need to buy good quality meat. The best I’ve found is Eye Fillet at Aldi, it’s getting expensive at $38 a kilo, but once you nail it, you’ll never buy elsewhere. but their other steaks I tried were terrible.

Cooking steaks is a science, not an art. I use a site called ‘amazing ribs.com’ to learn most stuff.

You then want to check out this video buy Heston B. Basically flip that steak every 15-20 seconds.

Yep, Adrian Richardson (good Dons supporter too) also recommends turning it lots. Was news to me. Did them that way over the weekend, yum.

For a bit there, just a tiny bit, I thought that said Adrian Edmondson was a. an Essendon supporter b. an accomplished exponent of ribs and c. you knew him.
Bit disappointed now HAP

Weetbix, muesli, raspberries, pears, & yoghurt washed down with an iced coffee. I take my cooking pretty seriously.

It's not your fault, it's said all the time by chefs so it's a given that it's correct. And it's a pet peeve of mine (I have many)

You have pet peeves the same way I hold grudges. Comes from being a “dietician”.

It's not your fault, it's said all the time by chefs so it's a given that it's correct. And it's a pet peeve of mine (I have many)

You have pet peeves the same way I hold grudges. Comes from being a “dietician”.

Lol.

Cooking Porterhouse steak with vegies. I struggle to get it to restaurant quality with medum rare..

First things first, you need to buy good quality meat. The best I’ve found is Eye Fillet at Aldi, it’s getting expensive at $38 a kilo, but once you nail it, you’ll never buy elsewhere. but their other steaks I tried were terrible.

Cooking steaks is a science, not an art. I use a site called ‘amazing ribs.com’ to learn most stuff.

You then want to check out this video buy Heston B. Basically flip that steak every 15-20 seconds.

Yep, Adrian Richardson (good Dons supporter too) also recommends turning it lots. Was news to me. Did them that way over the weekend, yum.

Hes got some real good recipes, make his meat pies all the time.

About the only TV chef I don’t find so supercilious I want to punch them.

For a bit there, just a tiny bit, I thought that said Adrian Edmondson was a. an Essendon supporter b. an accomplished exponent of ribs and c. you knew him.
Bit disappointed now HAP

I’m always sorry when I fail to live up to your fantasies of me.

It’s a rant but related to cooking, but these ‘pop up’ and ‘street stalls’ festivals where they are charging $20 bucks a plate is really really stupid.

Cheap, cheerful but tasty not expensive, small and requires a lot of cutlery to eat.

food trucks are this years macaroons.

and macaroons are last year’s cup cakes.

EDIT: sorry, macaron

I think medium rare steaks are best done on grill pans. Buy really cheap, ■■■■■■ meat. Pre-heat pan at maximum temp until those jerks at CERN ■■■■■ about you warping spacetime… Sear the bejesus out of the meat for, like, seconds. Turn ninety degrees and sear the everloving bejesus out of the meat. Flip and repeat.

Bit disappointed now HAP

I’m always sorry when I fail to live up to your fantasies of me.

I’ve just come from the crispy Garry thread where a fantasy was evolving involving Lyon, Billy’s two daughters, a Kardashian, several zebras and hippopotamuses.

Now I have Eddie and you in there somewhere.

Gonna be a long sticky night.

Got some Texans coming for dinner, so getting a little smoking action on. Got this ‘shoulder’*in the fridge for a early morning kick off. Made my own BBQ sauce, and got a flourless orange cake half made. Standby for updates.

• asian cut

Looks good, the bark is very salty. Have to wait until the guinea pigs, ah I mean guests arrive…

I think they are referring to The Maillard reaction, a chemical reaction between an amino acid and a reducing sugar, usually requiring the addition of heat. Like caramelization, it is a form of non-enzymatic browning. The reactive carbonyl group of the sugar interacts with the nucleophilic amino group of the amino acid, and interesting but poorly characterized odor and flavor molecules result.

Makes Food Yummy :smile:

I think they are referring to The Maillard reaction, a chemical reaction between an amino acid and a reducing sugar, usually requiring the addition of heat. Like caramelization, it is a form of non-enzymatic browning. The reactive carbonyl group of the sugar interacts with the nucleophilic amino group of the amino acid, and interesting but poorly characterized odor and flavor molecules result.

Makes Food Yummy :smile:

Yep, but it’s not the same as carmelisation!

No it isn’t… But then they’re Chefs :wink:

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/top-10-cook/taste-test-top-10-newwave-australian-hot-sauces-20160215-gmjok0.html

Is there anything decent here, or are they just run-of-the-mill sauces?

EDIT: The pomegranate one sounds interesting and someone needs to give a bottle of the Crowley’s Hot Sauce to Ryan.

I haven’t tried any of those brands, but the sauces are probably all based off of a handful of recipes and then tweaked.
If you are after that great smokiness then those chipotle/smoked jalapeno sauces are always nice, but not necessarily hot.
The heat and fruitiness of the Habanero’s should go nicely with the tang of the pomegranate.

Hey Guys - Crowley here… Not Ryan, but the owner of Crowley’s Hot Sauce. Just saw the posts on the stuff we had in The Age and SMH. Just to let you know the “Cajed Heat” that was listed in the Good Food Guide is our take on a Taco Sauce. And recently got 2nd in the Taco Sauce Category at the World Hot Sauce Awards. Our Smoke & Fire (You can find on our website… just Google us) also got 1st, back to back 2015 and 2016 in the Chipotle Barbecue Sauce Category at The World Hot Sauce Awards. And our Habanero Sauce “Haba Nice Day” just won Best Habanero Sauce at the New York City Hot Sauce Expo “Screaming Mi Mi” Awards. And I’m only mentioning those because you guys are talking about Smoky ones and Habanero ones. Anyway, just thought I’d give you a heads up… and it’s awesome to see a massive interest in the Hot Sauce scene in Australia. Nice work. You can check out more info and our current discounts on our site.