Disgraceful EFC - Extending pokies license to 2042

In more pleasing news Fark Carlton are still horrible even at running pokies.

What you say about business in general is true. I have to agree. Most tow the line in as much as they do what they have to do under the laws of the land and not much more. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. I’d like it to be different and I like to make a difference. So I do my bit in my own backyard and community. So ought we all.

Just remember, this industry isn’t at all about exploiting addicts. Nope.

2 Likes

who approves the LED signage around the ground at the g? is that a club thing or MCC?

on saturday you had the hawks spruiking their anti-gambling stuff, then during the game sports betting advertising all the way around the ground. hypocrites.

We’ve been handed a new 20 year licence to operate pokies (along with four other clubs).

Alliance for Gambling Reform spokesman Tim Costello said the 2022 pokies license expiry date should have been the “perfect opportunity for all AFL clubs to leave the pokies”.

“The AFL should be offering incentives for AFL clubs to exit the pokies industry because it is disappointing that AFL clubs have bought 825 entitlements through this $1.2 billion government auction to operate machines for another 20 years at remaining AFL pokies venues where a clear divestment is yet to be announced," he said.

“The City of Melton has the highest concentration of pokies losses inflicted by major sporting clubs (one Hawthorn venue, one Essendon and two Melbourne Racing Club venues), which makes the decision on the proposed 29 year lease with Essendon at the Melton Country Club all the more important.”

Get out now EFC. For once, actually be the the industry leader you are always trying to convince us you are.

Now they have the extension it would make commercial sense to sell. Value should be maximised.

1 Like

The Dingley Dawks have a venue in Melton? C’mon.

1 Like

Good work Bombers. Absolute cash cows

4 Likes

The pokie ADDICTS are the cash cows. The pokie licences are merely the cash milking machines.

Agreed. Profiting off addiction is a morally compromising position to be in for the club. They’re computer algorithms written to take more than they give, often from people who cannot afford to lose the money they’re pouring into the machine. I understand the concerns around ensuring the club’s financial security, but can’t help but feel this is an opportunity lost to move in a more positive direction.

3 Likes

I love the Melton Club, great food, cheap booze and I can play the pokies. All you wowsers can cry me a river.

4 Likes

Ah dear me. How did we ever manage in the dim dark days gone by when pokies were illegal in Victoria and idiot addicts had to go on coach excursions across the Murray to get their fix ?

The bus line name said it all “Pokie Capers”. Remember it well as a kid from southern NSW. The old pokie dollar certainly helped to build some massive clubs. Many of which struggled once Victoria legalised pokies.

1 Like

Just think, all the money that has been p.issed up the wall on the Gold Coast by the AFL could have been used to offset the exiting of pokies.

Replace the following.

America - Australia
Guns - Pokies
It’s not the gun that kills people, it’s people that kills people. - …

Thing is that we laugh at the US for this mentality.

P.S. And yes you can kill someone else with a poker machine.

1 Like

Erm… ok

When did pokies shoot up the Jews/ Gays/ Blacks/ Schoolkids

I tell you what.

Get rid of all the betting ads and odds flashed all over the AFL products, and then I might consider pokies as a high priority issue.

9 Likes

OMFG gambling ads at the moment are the bane of my existence.

so.freaking.many.

3 Likes

Didn’t say they have, said they could.

I enjoy the ads where they offer up 5 different options, tell you how easy it is to gamble using their app, reiterate that you need to bet NOW! Then have some guy mumble ‘gamble responsibly’ at the end…

4 Likes