Do some magicians really practice MAGIC?

I'm not a magician, so if I cannot explain all tricks, please forgive me, but I'll give it a go.

The spike could have retreated into the handle, not into the guys hand.  (We didnt get to see the x-ray).

I dont have the answer for the sword into the body, if it was authentic, then that's not magical, it's simply sticking a sword in.

The scarf may have gone through a specially designed working(?) mobile phone which had a tiny slit in the middle. There did appear to be a wavy crack in the middle.  (Again, it's video footage and I havent seen the phone close up).

The credit card may have a magnet in it, and the magician had a concealed magnet on the tip of his (fake) finger, similar to the fake thumbs they use to stuff long silk ribbons into, this would allow him to "flutter" it as he did.  The lady presenter may have had the same thing also.  Remember, it's and act, and the presenters are in on it.  Also, there may have been black thin nylon thread attached to the centre of the card so he could spin it on the horizontal plane as he did.  Notice how it wasnt spun in any other direction.

Hope this helps!

It helps if that was what really happened. I've seen the full length video of the David Blaine spike through hand trick btw and they do actually show an x ray of the spike through his hand. I've also seen the full video of the guy who has a sword stuck through his body and he sticks it through several places including the left side of his chest.

So how did my other explanations go in revealing what happened?  Satisfactory?

Watched a doco on how they did some of the mind reading stuff in a studio audience.

1. they went to one of the audience members houses and looked in the windows at stuff they had on their mantle piece and used that of part of the stuff ‘they couldn’t possibly know’
  2. the plants are in the crowd beforehand, talking to people to find out about them.
  3. the plants are in the audience. So when the audience are asked to draw stuff, the people behind them just communicate it back after looking over their shoulder.

This weekend I gave my son a magic kit and a DVD with 100 simple tricks in it. You watch the trick, then the show the how to. Once you see how simple it is, and how inexpensive the props can be it’s actually quite simple.

However, sometimes it’s just good to watch for the entertainment / illusion of it, and not ask questions.

TV magicians arent even practicing magic in it's traditional sense. It's illusion and escapism. Would be a lot more boring watching someone do rituals around a pentagram on the floor.  

I don't believe any magician is able to suspend the laws of nature though application of their will or power of thought . If they could, what would be even more astounding for me is that, rather than use these magical powers for the betterment of mankind, they would instead choose to have seasonal tv shows for monetary reward, showing them putting mobile phones into coke bottles, walking on water and other carnival acts for the bemusement of those not so endowed with magical powers.

However to be fair magicians are dedicated to providing pure entertainment and not false hopes and ripping people off. The same cant be said for evangelical healers, witch doctors,psychics, clairvoyants or the worlds biggest douche in the universe John Edwards.

Things that can’t be readily explained have to be supernatural.

Righto, I’m off to church.

http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1191-dumb-questions-amnesty/

You provided a few stock, unproven possibilities. 

Things can can't be readily explained have to be supernatural.
Righto, I'm off to church.

No don't go to church. See if you can find a place where they teach you how to discuss things intelligently. That would be a good start. You won't get that at church. They will only discuss things until you disagree with their own dogmatic view of life. Just like sceptics do.

Ok, YOU provide PROVEN answers then.   ;)

Don't just say it's magic.  

tumblr_mt6a4xDbyZ1swc3i6o1_500.gif

No don't go to church. See if you can find a place where they teach you how to discuss things intelligently. That would be a good start.

Is it possible to discuss the topic "are some magicians using real magic" intelligently?

Magic Happens

No don't go to church. See if you can find a place where they teach you how to discuss things intelligently. That would be a good start.

Is the topic "are some magicians using real magic" worthy of serious discussion?

I edited my post you might want to read it.

In answer to your question - ABSOLUTELY.

Open your mind, brother, you have been sold a story about reality that is breaking down by the minute. It won't hurt you to think outside the box, I promise.

Actually, I don't have to because according to the definition of the word magic it is:

"The power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."

So if I see something that defies rational, reasonable, proven explanation I can rightly say there is no apparent explanation other than mysterious or supernatural forces, which by their very nature are beyond explanation. All we mortals have to do is rule out all rational explanation. Once we have done that I guess there is nothing left but to enquire of the magician the source of his power. Don't get me wrong I am by no means saying that all the tricks in that series of clips are beyond rational explanation but I believe I have seen some tricks which are. That is of course if I rule out that the entire thing is acted and set up from go to whoa. But I'm not in a position to do that. So I just have to trust my gut instincts, my reading of body language, the situation, the people involved etc. And using my innate abilities I have concluded that some of these dudes in some of these tricks are tapping in to powers that the average Joe doesn't know anything or much about.   

Do you all remember when David Copperfield walked through the Great Wall of China?

And his heart stopped beating as he passed through the solid stone?

HAHAHAHAHA.

(I saw David's show the last time he was in Melbourne. He really is a great entertainer. His TV specials are balls, though.)

Magic Happens

Not even sure what that means but if they mean the person reading 'Magic Happens' gets angry, then yes, magic happens.

Actually, I don't have to because according to the definition of the word magic it is:

"The power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."

So if I see something that defies rational, reasonable, proven explanation I can rightly say there is no apparent explanation other than mysterious or supernatural forces, which by their very nature are beyond explanation. All we mortals have to do is rule out all rational explanation. Once we have done that I guess there is nothing left but to enquire of the magician the source of his power. Don't get me wrong I am by no means saying that all the tricks in that series of clips are beyond rational explanation but I believe I have seen some tricks which are. That is of course if I rule out that the entire thing is acted and set up from go to whoa. But I'm not in a position to do that. So I just have to trust my gut instincts, my reading of body language, the situation, the people involved etc. And using my innate abilities I have concluded that some of these dudes in some of these tricks are tapping in to powers that the average Joe doesn't know anything or much about.   

Remember, the tricks are all there to deceive the audience.  It's fun.  It's a game.  It's entertainment.  It's to bewilder people.

There is no supernatural power.

It's designed to look that way.

Discussions like this are part of the theatre.

I've seen it first hand, and so has Incoming!

It's just like special effects in movies, CGI etc.  There is no such things as Hobbits, magical beasts, rock munchers, you name it.  

If you believe it's magical and some magicians possess some supernatural power, then that's up to you.  Those magicians have worked, um, their magic. 

I can just imagine the taping of the shows where 'real' magic (which is actually rituals, not 'tricks') is inter-spliced with 'fake' magic.

SFX guy 1 : 'ok boss we're ready to do next trick. Transparent perspex platforms setup under water as planned in rehearsal, and we'll edit out  any visible harnesses ropes in post production"

Magician: "No need guys, producers have asked to cut spending in post production, so i'll just go real magic on this one"

SFX guy 1 : "geez finally. cool. do you still need a ride home?"

Magician: " no it's ok i'll just fly"

I can just imagine the taping of the shows where 'real' magic (which is actually rituals, not 'tricks') is inter-spliced with 'fake' magic.
SFX guy 1 : 'ok boss we're ready to do next trick. Transparent perspex platforms setup under water as planned in rehearsal, and we'll edit out any visible harnesses ropes in post production"
Magician: "No need guys, producers have asked to cut spending in post production, so i'll just go real magic on this one"
SFX guy 1 : "geez finally. cool. do you still need a ride home?"
Magician: " no it's ok i'll just fly"

There was a great doco on this a while back... I think it was called Charmed.

Magic Happens

Not even sure what that means but if they mean the person reading 'Magic Happens' gets angry, then yes, magic happens.

At least if your gps stops working, you will know you are in Byron Bay.