Documentaries

Thought this had a thread but couldn’t find it.

Anyone watched “Prohibition” 3 part documentary by PBS? It’s like 5 hrs total but really interesting.

It’s odd because Tom Hanks, John Lithgow and Paul Giamatti do the voiceovers for some characters. So weird when they came out of nowhere…

It’s on Netflix.

I’ve seen everything Ken Burns has done except the last 2 episodes of this one, as I was waiting until catching up with the Boardwalk Empire series I haven’t yet seen, and the 2nd epof it basically started to hit spoiler territory.

Go for more Burns, … near everything he does is excellent.

1 Like

I brought a few Burns ones back from the US that I haven’t seen here on TV…Mark Twain, Lewis and Clark and one or two others.

Still watch the Civil War ones if I’m channel surfing past.

Me too.

So sad and eerie they have stayed with me a long time

We watched this one. With an alcoholic beverage in hand.

Finished watching Prohibition. Now watching Civil War. Kind of annoyed it’s 5 episodes, fine line between being thorough and succinct/engaging.

Isn’t Civil War a dozen episodes or so?

Yep

…I thought it was like 5 or 6 when I checked. JEEPERS.

Tower is pretty interesting if for no other reason it was a sign of things to come in america. On netflix

According to imdb it’s 9 episodes. I was surprised; I had thought it was more like double that.

The West was 18 episodes

Ken Burns ha done some amazing doco series. The Civil War is excellent, as is the one about WWII, but his best is Baseball. Yes, I’m completely biased, but if you’re a fan of baseball you must watch this.

I’m a documentary tragic in that I’ll watch just about anything of interest. Nazi Megastructures is over the top and the recreations are often laughable, but it covers some really interesting topics like the Channel Island defences and the U-Boat pens in France. The Seven Wonders of the Industrial World was really well done (covered the Panama Canal, Brooklyn Bridge, Hoover Dam, London Sewers, Bell Rock Lighthouse, Great Eastern steamship, and the Transcontinental Railroad). I also loved the ones about life after people that showed what would happen to the planet over different lengths of time if people died out/disappeared.

I’ve got Optus TV at home with the Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild , but no History or Discovery Channels unfortunately. Luckily that’s what VPNs are good for.

I’m also a sucker for any show set in Alaska as I love the scenery.

1 Like

I have the box set of The Civil War. It’s three discs with three episodes on each. Baseball is nine discs (9 innings) which cover different time periods of baseball history. Burns subsequently released an extra episode called “Extra Innings” to include more recent stuff (although that was quite a few years ago now). Hopefully he’ll keep adding extra innings over time.

I rewatch Seven Wonders of the Industrial World, often.

Ken Burns’, Jazz is another one to add to the list.

The Staircase is another that has stayed with me, as well as The Thin Blue Line. Errol Morris, who made the latter is a very good doco maker.

The documentaries I love to rewatch would be Space, A spacetime Odyssey and the ones with Brian Greene in them.

Brian Cox is okay too but he can be a little slower paced and is more a beginners guide than full on in your face documentary.

1 Like

If thats the one presented by Sam Neill, I would rewatch it again on a yearly basis.
Edit: I can now …

https://www.google.com.au/search?num=50&newwindow=1&safe=off&source=hp&ei=HdIUWqvqHIaZ0gTqwLaICg&q=space+sam+neill&oq=space+sam&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.4445.9703.0.12248.10.9.0.0.0.0.393.1710.2-4j2.6.0…0…1c.1.64.psy-ab…4.6.1707.0…46j0i131k1j0i46k1j0i10k1.0.5LZ3E-6EAoI

One of the best on the subject I’ve ever seen.

There’s also a very old doco series by David Suzuki called The Brain: Our Universe within which is fantastic, and I have always thought should be mandatory viewing for all secondary school students.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+suzuki+the+brain+our+universe+within&sp=EgIYAg%3D%3D

1 Like

I don’t know what it is, but something about Brian Cox makes my stomach turn. The first time I started to watch one of his shows I had to turn off after about 10 minutes. And that remains the longest period of time I’ve watched him.

Your devotion to Malcolm Roberts?

I like Brian Cox and went to see him at the Arts Centre a couple of years back.

Along with Tyson and Sagan, he makes science understandable and I don’t really like astrophysics.

I like Jim al Khalili, Marcus de Sautoy and Alice Roberts most.

1 Like

Space that you mentioned is good. The one I’m mentioning is Neil Degrasse Tyson.

What bothers me about Tyson is that silly air-sucking through the teeth thing he does - as if he’s talking about having sex. Kinda turns my stomach.

I can’t watch most US docos anymore. Newer ones, that is. They’ve been dumbed down to a 12 year old level and I find them too frustrating.

2 Likes