Domestic Violence

What the hell is going on lately? There have been 3 murders in 4 days in QLD and two young women missing, one in SA and the other the ACT.

There have been a lot of these happening over the past couple of years. Something more than just the usual “oh we will have a symposium about this” needs to happen.

Just said exactly that to a mate last night. Yesterdays whole news bulletin just made you think that everything is just so fkd right now.

■■■■■■ depressing.

I’ve noticed a spike in people going missing and cars running into houses lately.

It is very depressing. You have to wonder what can be done in terms of education, if anything. Why do some men continue to see women as a possession, because that’s what this is about, I own you. Also need to be education for young girls so they can learn to see clearly men who are possessive early on, and don’t get stuck in the circle of violence and children. The men apologise, the women believe them (more through hope than anything) and the cycle continues. They need to learn very early on that the cycle needs to be broken for good.

Then when there are women such as the one at McDonalds who had left her husband a number of times: they need more support. She agreed to meet him. Why? Probably becasue she didn’t have someone screaming in her ear “don’t be a ■■■■■■■ idiot”. And she would have felt sorry for him.

The other young girl who was run off the road then beaten with a metal object while she lay dying in the car (nice type) had been to the police for help. They cant do anything without laws and support agencies.
Funding has been cut for support by this government because the age of entitlement is over.

But really you have start with 8 to 10 year olds - girls and boys.
And you need to get to the ethnic communities because it is the women in many of those communities who are bringing up sons, putting them on a pedestal believing that they can do no wrong that can contribute to the problem.

1 Like
What the hell is going on lately? There have been 3 murders in 4 days in QLD and two young women missing, one in SA and the other the ACT.

There have been a lot of these happening over the past couple of years. Something more than just the usual “oh we will have a symposium about this” needs to happen.

Happening more, or being reported/publicised more?
Something like 1 woman dies a week in this country at the hands of a family member.
That’s shocking, it’s awful, and shameful.

I deal with a lot of domestic violence cases through work, and it’s definanty on the up, we are pushing for mandatory reporting in a similar way to child abuse so the pressure goes off the victim to make the call

And yet another case:

And some good news, the ACT girl simply (if you can call it that) crashed her car and has been found alive. A relief for all involved.

People are angrier, more volatile and more inclined to physical reaction. I have no idea why, but its real. Up until a decade or so ago, i dont recall ever seeing people get out of cars to vent on other drivers. Ever. Ive seen it three times this week, yesterday it led to punches thrown.

Thats not domestic violence of course, but society seems quite tense these days.

Nothing will change until Australia changes its alcohol and illicit drug culture and that requires a complete generational shift in behavior.

Education is a waste of time and money in my opinion. Everyone knows from 5 years of age that its wrong.
However it can make governments seem like they are doing something so I guess that’s the path they will take and then they will pat themselves on the back and move onto something else.

People are angrier, more volatile and more inclined to physical reaction. I have no idea why, but its real. Up until a decade or so ago, i dont recall ever seeing people get out of cars to vent on other drivers. Ever. Ive seen it three times this week, yesterday it led to punches thrown.

Thats not domestic violence of course, but society seems quite tense these days.

This is a good point and worth expanding upon.

It’s easy to beat up on the little guy…pensioners…refugees…in fact it’s encouraged.

That coupled with the demise of the traditional family goes along way to where we are today.

And where we are completely sucks

According to John Paul Langbroek,QLD Liberal MP, the latest surge in men killing their partners in brutal acts is because the state economy isn’t great.

of course

Lack of “community” these days doesn’t help
Easier to hide this sort of behaviour than 20-40 years ago
I can remember mum saying she knew everyone on the street she grew up with
I knew a few neighbours either side of our house when I was growing up
Now, I haven’t even met/seen one of my next door neighbours

my situation is the opposite,
know everyone,by name, 3 doors either side and across the road.
Annual street Xmas party
having kids helps as they bring even the most reluctant parents together

Nothing will change until Australia changes its alcohol and illicit drug culture and that requires a complete generational shift in behavior.

Education is a waste of time and money in my opinion. Everyone knows from 5 years of age that its wrong.
However it can make governments seem like they are doing something so I guess that’s the path they will take and then they will pat themselves on the back and move onto something else.

the rise in Ice is a factor for sure, alcohol has always been a driver. Mens mental health is a really big one people want to ignore.

my situation is the opposite, know everyone,by name, 3 doors either side and across the road. Annual street Xmas party having kids helps as they bring even the most reluctant parents together

Sounds great
My friend’s court always had street parties which were a blast
My point is though, you’d probably notice pretty quick if something was going on with those neighbours, whereas I wouldn’t even know it if the guy next door passed away

my situation is the opposite, know everyone,by name, 3 doors either side and across the road. Annual street Xmas party having kids helps as they bring even the most reluctant parents together

Sounds great
My friend’s court always had street parties which were a blast
My point is though, you’d probably notice pretty quick if something was going on with those neighbours, whereas I wouldn’t even know it if the guy next door passed away

yeah you’re right, we would, and we’re pretty thankful for that.
I agree with your OP . Having a sense of community definitely helps minimize victimization.

Not needed.

I am not sure about sense of community helping. Never helped in the past, it was just not talked about. Everyone knew it was happening. The real problem for women was that until the 1970’s they literally had no where to go. Many had never worked and no way of earning a living even if they did have somewhere to go. So they had to stay with their abusive and violent husbands. Usually if they stayed they just got bashed not murdered.
After years of developing networks and safe houses, the government cuts funding and makes it difficult to even get through to Centrelink, let alone engage with them. I worked there for 12 years and never turned anyone away, now you are lucky to engage with a person.
Women with children and jobs find it hard to disappear, particularly in the mobile population we have today. Not hard to find someone even if they are trying to disappear.
I think part of what is causing the problem today is that although women can leave when they choose, old mate sees her as a possession and sees her leaving without his permission and that simply can’t happen.
Its the age old problem of women being property, and as property is it his right to do what he likes to it. Women legally only stopped being property about 40 years ago. And as property the husband couldn’t even be charged with rape, even if his wife had left him, because you couldn’t rape your wife.
It takes a long time to change embedded cultural attitudes, particularly in institutions such as police, boys club, politics, and the judiciary.
Education will certainly help, but it needs to be across the board. Saying everyone knows it’s wrong is just simplistic.
You can see the way the AFL pays lip service, has women’s round, breast cancer round, respect policies etc, then treats Tania Hird like a possession of her husband that he should keep in line. Furthermore she should obey any document he has signed. What sort of message does that send?
We have a long way to go in this country. Couldn’t even have a female prime minister without her being ridiculed for being a woman.