Dons help out mourning family

Essendon offers tribute for father of three Alan Dunlop killed on Western Ring Rd
May 10, 2016 7:57pm
WAYNE FLOWER, KATHRYN POWLEY and WES HOSKING Herald Sun

Tributes flow for father of three killed on Ring Rd
THE children of a man killed when a car ploughed into him on the side of the Western Ring Road will run out on to the field with Essendon in a tribute from their dad’s favourite team.

A woman appeared in court today accused of running down the Werribee father of three, Alan Dunlop.

Mr Dunlop died at the scene after a car allegedly driven by 27-year-old Tara Brennan crashed into him after he had stopped in the emergency lane feeling unwell about 10.40am on Saturday.

Members of Mr Dunlop’s devastated family were in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court for Ms Brennan’s brief filing hearing.

Mr Dunlop’s brother-in-law, Aaron Millichip, said it was an extremely difficult time for the family.

Mr Dunlop was an Essendon fan and the family were deeply moved when Essendon’s chief executive, Xavier Campbell, phoned to invite the children to run through the team’s banner.

“That touched us very much,” Mr Millichip said.

With son, Brye, 9, supporting Essendon, and daughter Shanee, 11, and son, Memphis, 6, supporting the Western Bulldogs — the kids’ big moment would come when the teams faced each other in Round 22.

Essendon chief marketing officer Justin Rodski said the clubs were keen to help Mr Dunlop’s family at an incredibly difficult time.

“We had heard Alan was an Essendon supporter so we thought if there was anything we could do for the kids, we would like to be able to help them,” he said.

“Both clubs will be making sure the kids are given the best possible day.”

Mr Dunlop’s mother, Karen Dunlop, thanked everyone for their condolences and support.

“I could not have got through this without everyone’s love and help,” she said.

Police charged Ms Brennan last Saturday night with dangerous driving causing death.

Ms Brennan, of Altona Meadows, sat with her head down at her court appearance.

The court extended Ms Brennan’s bail to August 16 when she is expected for a pre-committal hearing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/essendon-offers-tribute-for-father-of-three-alan-dunlop-killed-on-western-ring-rd/news-story/8fca2c2e3c77b0c5da952dc26673d710

3 Likes

Nicely done, Dons.

1 Like

This is the crash that had me arrive at Avalon Airport, en route to Sydney, very very late… Was a real mess.

Such a tragic loss of life. RIP Alan.

A lovely gesture by the club.

1 Like

Much love to the kids and thanks Xavier for representing club well at this time

Great stuff from the club!

It’s been that sort of week.

Such as for Saturday, the platyers are running through a “Stand up For Equality Banner” backed by the Purple Bombers.

Doing all the right things.

1 Like

Thats fantastic of the club to do that

Well done EFC and Dogs.

This is great work.

He got hit while stopped in the emergency lane?

This is great work.

He got hit while stopped in the emergency lane?

Yes. The vehicle who hit him was apparently all over the road well before then – not a case of inattention.

Thanks EFC.

good work from the CEO & the club.
there was a Dunlop on Blitz too I thought.

Great club.

This is what makes our club special

good work from the CEO & the club. there was a Dunlop on Blitz too I thought.

Still is. The guy literally knows everything, from TV shows to injury news to new rule changes and how players perform in the VFL.

So just to be clear - this isn’t the Dunlop who posts here? Its a tragedy either way, but I’ll be devastated if its our Dunlop who has been killed. :frowning:

So just to be clear - this isn't the Dunlop who posts here?
Very sad news, but no I'm not the man in question.
2 Likes

Thanks for posting - I was getting worried. Its always sad though how little mistakes can have such dire consequences.

makes you realise how short life can be.