Draft wrap up

Maybe they just picked the players they thought were the best.

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

There is every right to be asking questions.

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

Because we are in debt, we arn’t recruiting aboriginals?

With all due respect, and don’t bash me reboot, thats ridiculous

That’s a gross simplification of what I said. We have limited resources at the moment to devote to player welfare. Some need more than others. It’s why we wouldn’t take on any kids that would stretch those resources.

Obviously a kid who is from Victoria with a support network already in place is going to be less of a drain on those resources and allows them to be focused where they’re most needed. For now.

Hopefully this is bullshit and just your opinion… I would really hate it if our club shared this attitude. What an insult to our passed and present Aboriginal players… Who I am sure brought more to the club than took from it.

Wouldnt a club which has been through hell with the media for 4 years develop a risk averse attitude to drafting ?

A club where even not knowing the whereabouts of every player 24/7/365 can result in a fine and further accusations of “governance failure” and every one says . Essendon. Again !

Our club now will inform itself of the sort of family background, the educational level, the peer group, personal references etc as part of a formalised due diligence in recruiting like never before.

You can be sure the club is risk averse in everything it does these days.

But were supposedly interested in Dustin Martin! Or is it only Aboriginal players who are risky?
Hopefully the Long and Rioli families don’t read this…

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

That’s a gross simplification of what I said. We have limited resources at the moment to devote to player welfare. Some need more than others. It’s why we wouldn’t take on any kids that would stretch those resources.

Obviously a kid who is from Victoria with a support network already in place is going to be less of a drain on those resources and allows them to be focused where they’re most needed. For now.

Hopefully this is bullshit and just your opinion… I would really hate it if our club shared this attitude. What an insult to our passed and present Aboriginal players… Who I am sure brought more to the club than took from it.

As I stated earlier, it’s just my opinion.

And we were never interested in Dustin Martin.

I'm pretty damn jealous of Brisbane this draft.

McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Cedric Cox.

They will be delighted with that. Especially McCluggage getting to pick 3.

Helps to be given an extra pick for self inflicted wounds

I wonder how many Lions supporters are already sweating about these guys jumping ship in 2 years

HaHa! “How many Lions supporters”? Good one, Hahaha!

Wouldnt a club which has been through hell with the media for 4 years develop a risk averse attitude to drafting ?

A club where even not knowing the whereabouts of every player 24/7/365 can result in a fine and further accusations of “governance failure” and every one says . Essendon. Again !

Our club now will inform itself of the sort of family background, the educational level, the peer group, personal references etc as part of a formalised due diligence in recruiting like never before.

You can be sure the club is risk averse in everything it does these days.

It wasn’t risk-averse in letting its chief officer needlessly indulging very recently in what is arguably the most life-threatening behaviour that is still legal in this country.

And there’s likely some skerrick of truth in it, but really haven’t we just drafted for as much of a sure thing as possible? On paper it looks like the foundation of a safe, solid core for the next ten years. It’s real grunt (possibly really good grunt) after a couple of years of turning up some genuine class and dare I say it X factor in the likes of Fantasia, Tippa, Morgan if he can stay up, and the Lav and the Lang. It feels alright to me, and Yestin and Longy get another year to show what they can do. I would’ve liked Lebois but can’t deny the ruck vacuum so there it is. Feeling better as the dust settles

And of course Darli what I just wrote chimes with your point about directing resources to where they’re needed most right now, which is stabilising and strengthening what we have and ensuring the post Watson et al era is a strong one.

utterly preposterous.

On the one hand you say it is just your opinion… On the other you state that we were never interested in Dustin Martin - inferring you have some inside knowledge of the list management discussions.

And there’s likely some skerrick of truth in it, but really haven’t we just drafted for as much of a sure thing as possible? On paper it looks like the foundation of a safe, solid core for the next ten years. It’s real grunt (possibly really good grunt) after a couple of years of turning up some genuine class and dare I say it X factor in the likes of Fantasia, Tippa, Morgan if he can stay up, and the Lav and the Lang. It feels alright to me, and Yestin and Longy get another year to show what they can do. I would’ve liked Lebois but can’t deny the ruck vacuum so there it is. Feeling better as the dust settles

I think what Darli says has some merrit.
However, I don’t think of welfare solely for aboriginals.

There two handfuls of players coming back from a year off that would also be taking up welfare resources.
And then there are the players who no longer are at the club, yet should also be taking up some welfare resources.

While it’s easy to say, we’re rich, we should be able to afford it, I don’t think there is an endless pit of money we can rely on.

I wouldn’t think a club would not consider an aboriginal player because of the lack of welfare resources, but they would consider whether a particular player (of any colour) would fit into the club culture and the media shitstorm that we seem to attract every year.

On the one hand you say it is just your opinion… On the other you state that we were never interested in Dustin Martin - inferring you have some inside knowledge of the list management discussions.

No inside knowledge. The club said at the time we had no interest. I took them at face value.

That’s not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I think what Darli says has some merrit.
However, I don’t think of welfare solely for aboriginals.

There two handfuls of players coming back from a year off that would also be taking up welfare resources.
And then there are the players who no longer are at the club, yet should also be taking up some welfare resources.

While it’s easy to say, we’re rich, we should be able to afford it, I don’t think there is an endless pit of money we can rely on.

I wouldn’t think a club would not consider an aboriginal player because of the lack of welfare resources, but they would consider whether a particular player (of any colour) would fit into the club culture and the media shitstorm that we seem to attract every year.

Thankyou. That’s exactly what I was trying (badly) to say.

YEAST

Probably not the best week for the club to give the media department the week off.

No, she would have been “implying”. You were inferring.

Just saying.

Probably not the best week for the club to media department the week off.

Memo: Dr Johnson, please add another verb to the dictionary.

No, she would have been “implying”. You were inferring.

Just saying.

And the push to correct the deterioration in the English language continues.

Well done.

Clearly you have issues, such a simple answer is not sufficient for this forum.

Cal Twomey on Essendons picks
McGrath - will be in Essendons leadership group in 2 years, should play 20 games next year.

• would have went witherden ahead of Ridley (HBF may move into third tall defender role), could have also went Shai Bolton.
  • Begley unproven, but has talent and can kick goals
  • Mutch - GWS overlooked, can find footy
    -Clarke - best mates with McGrath, can find footy
    -Draper - first pick Rookie draft - stretched as only live pick, ruck depth was required

will wait and see.
Draft will be made or loss on the number 1 pick.