Draftee options thread

I hear there’s a reasonably good key forward in the draft, Boyd or something like that?

Anyways I hear he has chronic groin injuries so guaranteed to slip from pick 1 to our 3rd rounder

Momentum people, get it happening

Alik Magin

His performance for Bendigo in a team that finished stone motherless last has been excellent.

Last night he was awarded the VFL Coaches Player of the year.

Kane Lambert

Along with finishing just 1 vote from tieing for the Liston Trophy last night, Lambert also received the Fothergill-Round Medal for being the best player under 23.

Both are good young midfielders coming through.

I quite like Kane Lambert and if we are going to be taking picks in 60-Crazy range would be happy to see him on the list. Good inside guy who has moved from being a tagger. Disposal isn't amazing and while his size isn't an issue at VFL level I think he would be on the smaller side for an AFL level inside mid.  Still young obviously and we could do with a bit more depth on the inside.

I hear there's a reasonably good key forward in the draft, Boyd or something like that?
Anyways I hear he has chronic groin injuries so guaranteed to slip from pick 1 to our 3rd rounder
Momentum people, get it happening

Would prefer Aish to somehow fall 50 odd picks.....

Alik Magin

His performance for Bendigo in a team that finished stone motherless last has been excellent.

Last night he was awarded the VFL Coaches Player of the year.

Assuming Bendigo still exist next year… LOL if we nicked him as well.

Well, continuing on the theme that to start I'll mention guys people know. What about...

Mitchell Thorp

Ok, so unless a whole heap of our tall depth guys ask to leave, we clearly don't need another tall. But it is possible that 3-5 of Hardy, Pears, Gumby, Hooker, TB, Steinberg and Hooker might go for a variety of reasons. So what if we did need a spare depth tall? We certainly don't want to use our first (late) picks on them as the need is less than the midfield or small forwards. And probably less than the rucks.

Thorp is a possibility for a late pick. The talent was always good, but the main reason for the failure at Hawthorn was attitude. Reputedly, he is doing very well in Tassie this year and the attitude has improved. He was the same draft as Gumby, without the injuries. That all said, Tassie isn't exactly even the VFL.

Reports are that he is playing as a mobile tall forward.

Depending on what we lose, could be an option with pick 100 odd if we want someone much more ready to step in that will take 3 years to develop. Can't remember too many top talls that went late in the draft, although there are some notable ones like Fevola.

this is an interesting one. when he got back to south launny as cap coach he totally shook the club up - sent a heap packing and everyone thought, including me, he'd come down with the same attitude that saw him given the ■■■■ from the hawks.

hes had a pretty good couple of years, def not short on talent and hardness which justified his draft position. taken south from cellar dwellars to flag favourites. hes brought a lot of kids in an really given them confidence and galvanised the club - even though they are dropping out of the league at seasons end, but thats probably more to do with old mate Wades running of the show.

the only problem is those couple of years out of the big league plus the fact we are not short of forwards, misfiring as they are.

if not us will be a good pick up somewhere. i can see him at carlton. mm loves those second chance types.

Pretty good assessment there. Only thing I'd add is that it's very hard to assess how ready someone would be for AFL coming from the TSL which truth be told is an extremely poor standard of football compared to the VFL/SANFL/WAFL. Has been a dominant player though.

was taken in a very ordinary draft too which may have inflated his value.

not many get second chances these days.

EDIT: the reason this league is so ■■■■■ is how its managed. its all set up so its easier for the afl to find talent rather than getting of their ■■■■ and looking at the smaller leagues. our footy is is following our economy. 

What????

The 2006 draft is possibly the strongest ever draft for talls.

there where a few good talls now I look closer, but just keep looking at Gibbs and Hansen in the top 3. apologies to gumby,

So your basing the performance of the draft on the first three picks??? If the draft order had gone Selwood, Riewoldt, Hawkins would you therefore rate the draft a strong one?

righto i concede, wasnt a bad draft but it wasnt awesome when you compare it to the previous year. when you look at 2007 it does run reasonably deep i suppose.

i dont judge the entire draft on the bais of the top 3 but its rare to see a top 3 under perform like that one. i wouldnt rate it better if those 3 went first because they would probably just bump back the first three to maintain its overall uninspiringness.

i share Benfti's viewpoint - i don't think Tippa need be a half back permanently. I reckon at the moment the plan was simply to get him running more.

Yeah, agreed. In my book Tippa actually has all the tools to play midfield, other than his engine. He was very productive in the stoppages for NT last year - not just for himself, he knows how and when to put a block on pretty much better than all our current mids.

Comparable to David Rodan in the way he plays?

i share Benfti's viewpoint - i don't think Tippa need be a half back permanently. I reckon at the moment the plan was simply to get him running more.

Yeah, agreed. In my book Tippa actually has all the tools to play midfield, other than his engine. He was very productive in the stoppages for NT last year - not just for himself, he knows how and when to put a block on pretty much better than all our current mids.

Comparable to David Rodan in the way he plays?

Not Rodan. His pace Isn't explosive like that.

What about O'Brien of the Z variety? Haven't seen him play so mainly asking for opinion from VFL watchers.

I like him and wouldn't mind if we picked him up, maybe as a rookie. He isn't very tall and not especially quick but he is a natural footballer - he finds the ball with ease and generally uses it pretty well. He could make a Brad Sewell type inside mid.

Hey Humble Minion. What do you think of Nick Holman? I remember watch the first quarter of an under 18's game and he really stood out to me. His link up work was really good and had a bit of zip about him. Ive hear others say he won't go in the first three rounds but wondered if you thought he might be worth a look in the 3rd round or later?

Also no I am not Nick Holman.

Why would anyone think your name is Nick H-something, nickh32?

Hey Humble Minion. What do you think of Nick Holman? I remember watch the first quarter of an under 18's game and he really stood out to me. His link up work was really good and had a bit of zip about him. Ive hear others say he won't go in the first three rounds but wondered if you thought he might be worth a look in the 3rd round or later?

Also no I am not Nick Holman.

You are all over this bloke on various forums and have the same initials. ok.

Maybe re read his answer to you asking the identical question in July;

"I've been giving him a minor talk-up for a while now, since he played a near-lone hand in Murray's losing final last year, though I've only seen him for Country this year.
He's eligible. Big solid kid with solid pace, used mostly off half-back when I've seen him. Physical (which is helped by his size) and attacks the ball well. Accumulates ok (as well as you can off half-back when you're no the designated kicker) and is usually clean off the deck. Questions on him will be the reliability of his foot disposal - it can sometimes be a little shaky - and perhaps pace for the role he'd be asked to play. Not sure what his centre square of clearance work is like, never seen him in that role. Hard for me to judge since I've seen relatively little of him, but perhaps late second round onwards? Depends on what his kicking has been like over the greater part of the season.
He's got no single massive weapon in any part of his game as far as I can see, with your pick you'd be getting an old-fashioned honest footballer, and that can either spell a Luke Parker-type bargain, or a middling type who'll trundle away in the 2s for a few years without looking like stepping up before getting delisted and putting together a handy VFL career, or anywhere in between."

Not sure why people want to be picking mature aged guys like Lambert, Magin etc. 

We should be getting games into Kavanagh, Browne, Dalgleish etc. and using the next two years to be taking 'punts' in the draft. The rookie draft could be a vital cog in our puzzle for the next two years. 

Hey Humble Minion. WHAT ABOUT ME? IT ISN'T FAIR!

EFA

What about Aaron Heppell? Have never seen the kid play, but was thinking about it today. Thoughts?

What about Aaron Heppell? Have never seen the kid play, but was thinking about it today. Thoughts?

Aaron's Doiries doesn't quite have the same ring to it though.

I'll try to write up a bit more about some of these guys as we get closer to the draft (and I assume ben will do his regular 'excitement machines' thread) but some names from the TAC Cup etc to keep in mind.

Of course, it's going to be #@$#%! impossible to predict who we'll pick, or even choose who I'd LIKE us to pick considering how late we'll be starting and with no idea what our list'll be like by November so no idea what our needs are, so I'll just list a bunch of guys i'd be thinking of, who might be around at our picks.

Karl Amon

Michael Gibbons

Max King

Nick Holman

Liam Byrne

Nick Haynes

Jake Kalanj

Jake Thomas

Nat Paredes

Jake Owen

Jordan Perry

Mitch Keedle

Michael Apeness

Will Macginness

Errin Wasley-Black

Zac Webster

Reid Adams

Christian Petracca

i haven't seen much of the country boys (and almost nothing of the interstaters) so mostly i'm leaving them out cos I don't really know where they sit in relation to the Vic kids.  Not that I'd say not to Eli Templeton or Patrick Cripps if they somehow dropped to our pick though...

Not sure why people want to be picking mature aged guys like Lambert, Magin etc. 

We should be getting games into Kavanagh, Browne, Dalgleish etc. and using the next two years to be taking 'punts' in the draft. The rookie draft could be a vital cog in our puzzle for the next two years. 

Because we're hoping to find a Barlow, Isaac Smith, small player equivalent of Pods? And we'll probably also take some youngsters.

What about O'Brien of the Z variety? Haven't seen him play so mainly asking for opinion from VFL watchers.

Have seen a bit him at VFL level and like what I see...DJR would concur I would imagine that there's something about ZOB. He seems to me to be an instinctive footballer with footy smarts. I watched him closely for a few games and he definitely runs both ways, positions himself well at the stoppages and always seems to be on the move. Wouldn't be averse to see him/Tippa rookied.

Is he in this years draft?

Is he in this years draft?

Yes, he's this year.